Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if engine oil can be added via the dip stick channel rather than vis the engine compartment with a screw cap marked "oil"?

The reason I am asking this is that I cannot get to the screw cap as it is blocked by some wires and I cannot unscrew the cap.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I see no problem with using a funnel at the dipstick. I would imagine that you'll have to pour it in very slowly. The oil may back up in the tube a spill all over the engine. So pour slowly. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advise.
Will try it tonight.
After having tried to unscrew the oil filler cap its given me a bloody finger and a blister to go.
So I am not going to try again that way.

I only need to add a small amount of oil anyway so it should be fine going down the dip-stick tube.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Eric, I have a tractor that fills through the dipstick hole - so there's no problem.

This might sound silly - but if you warm the oil first it will make it thinner and easier to pour, so it won't back up and overspill.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
detour_racing said:
I see no problem with using a funnel at the dipstick. I would imagine that you'll have to pour it in very slowly. The oil may back up in the tube a spill all over the engine. So pour slowly. :)
Agree with David it will not do any harm. But like he says, add very slowly to avoid spilling.

For the future, get a medium sized pair of Channel Lock Pliers and open the jaws to fit the cap and unscrew it intially with the pliers using a rag to prevent scratching. Then replace by hand, so it's not so tight next time.

Regards, JRV

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advise.
I am actually going use one of those squirt bottles with a fine nozzel to add the oil so it really goes down slowly and it should'nt over flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.