Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Lambo owner. Just bought a 04 Gallardo with 6k.
It looks brand new out of show room but I feel like I can
never clean it the way dealership did so
if I hand wash the car what happens to the water that goes inside the
engine area?
Do I have to wash the engine too every time?
Also any recommendation on cleaning material/brand for body, tires, wheels, chrome and engine?

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,831 Posts
I make sure NO WATER goes in or on the engine. Plug up all the air vents and use caution getting water on electrical circuits. After reading some of the problems others ave had with water, I sponge mine now.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I give the car a 3/4 wash normally and do the roof and engine cover by hand with detail spray or Optimum no rinse.
NO need to spray water on the bonnet, ever.
Nothing good happens, only bad when the motor gets wet.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I give the car a 3/4 wash normally and do the roof and engine cover by hand with detail spray or Optimum no rinse.
NO need to spray water on the bonnet, ever.
+1 Optimum no-rinse - I use this on the entire car. I have had the car 3 years, and have never had to use towels under the bonnet or anything.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
+1 Optimum no-rinse - I use this on the entire car. I have had the car 3 years, and have never had to use towels under the bonnet or anything.
I use it as well on the whole car, instead of the traditional soap and water.
Fast, super effective, no swirls and no water spots when done right.
Do the whole car IN my garage summer or winter.

·
Registered
258 Posts
One other thing to note on the glass bonnets (if equipped), do it while the engine/car is cool. Only heard this once, but horror story of guy who washed when hot and the cold water made the hot bonnet shatter. Replacing a Shattered Gallardo Engine Glass Cover

I use Griots Garage clay/machine polish 3 and then for wax I use Autogylm HD, which is really good for light colors.

For quick touchups I use Fukken spray way, also use that on wheels. It's really nice full carnuba spray wax. They sponsor my buddies CCS bike team, he turned me on to it and gotta say I love it for a quick shine.

I try different tire shines all the time, use whatever goes on light so it doesn't throw up onto the paint later.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
These cars including those with glass bonnets are designed to drive through rain, snow and ice storms. The bonnet and rear engine bay is designed to drain the water away from critical engine components.

I live in Florida and we have the wet season. I have driven my G-Car through thunderstorms where it was raining buckets. I also drive through quality, brushless car washes with no problems or issues.

I do open the rear bonnet after I park the car in the garage to allow the engine bay to cool. Over time (15 to 20 years) the intense engine bay heat will make the wires and connectors brittle.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
There have been multiple posts on here from owners who reported weird glitches and/or CEL's after washing their car.
Everyone, no. Some people (including me) yes.
Don't see the need to add additional unnecessary water to the equation when so easily avoided. Especially an older car.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
As a multi-G owner, I can tell you that you can spray water directly on the engine without any problems, unless your car has a previous problem with water (= a defect). And some owners shampoo their engines.

Like AJ said above, these cars are MEANT to be driven in the rain, and water pours into the engine bay when you drive.

If you have a problem with rain and your G, your G is broken and needs repair. Period. Get it fixed.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
284 Posts
I will chime in here. I have my G detailed at least once (usually twice) a week and the car is not treated any differently around the engine bay. I will say that my detailer does not spray inside the engine bay, but does spray on top of it (closed) and washes it like any other part of the vehicle. I don't know if I would necessarily douse the engine bay with water when it's open, but I do realize that the engine bay does have water that pours into it during any rainstorm. I do admit that it probably has specific drainage points for when it's raining.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hey, it's your car flood the **** out of it. My opinion isn't you shouldn't go out of your way to soak the motor and your opinion is it doesn't matter. There is a distinct difference between getting caught in a rainstorm occasionally and deliberatly soaking the motor once a week or more.

I was told by a factory trained Lambo tech that it's not a good idea to soak the motor when washing the car. No offense, but I'll go with his advice over yours. Nothing good can happen. Only bad.

IMO, if there is a .1% chance that getting some electrical connection wet unnecessarily might cause an issue, I'll take the extra 10 WHOLE seconds and clean the bonnet by hand. Common sense.

I also clean the brake dust off my rims immediately each and every time I come home just to protect the rims from possible corrosion incrementally over time. Probably not needed but it's the little things that make the car stay looking and running good.

But that's me. I always err on the side of caution.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,831 Posts
Hey, it's your car flood the **** out of it. My opinion isn't you shouldn't go out of your way to soak the motor and your opinion is it doesn't matter. There is a distinct difference between getting caught in a rainstorm occasionally and deliberatly soaking the motor once a week or more.

I was told by a factory trained Lambo tech that it's not a good idea to soak the motor when washing the car. No offense, but I'll go with his advice over yours. Nothing good can happen. Only bad.

IMO, if there is a .1% chance that getting some electrical connection wet unnecessarily might cause an issue, I'll take the extra 10 WHOLE seconds and clean the bonnet by hand. Common sense.

I also clean the brake dust off my rims immediately each and every time I come home just to protect the rims from possible corrosion incrementally over time. Probably not needed but it's the little things that make the car stay looking and running good.

But that's me. I always err on the side of caution.
Exactly! Why would you even want to risk it, if there's a chance of causing issues.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I line my engine bay with a sheet and a towel over it.

I've washed it many times without protecting the engine. I've never had a problem....but I don't like the water spots left on the engine surfaces, and getting the water out of the nooks/crannies is a pain - so I find it saves me time/effort to place absorbent cloths (like sheets/towels) that absorb water that gets sprayed inside the engine. After I'm done washing I remove the material and voila - no little pools of water to sop up.

I also have driven in rain storms and never had an issue. A little rain/water certainly won't change my plans - but if I can save time when washing the car - I will. Covering the engine bay is a time saver for me.

I am intrigued by the Optima No Rinse and will give it a try. Great suggestion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I cover the engine bay with a small tarp when washing. I do think that surely it will be fine if a little water gets to it. You should be able to drive in heavy rain and not worry about your engine getting wet.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Chemical Guy's have an extensive line of great dry wash products among other things. If you watch the site they have free shipping often and no tax.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had a problem with my car not starting after washing it and letting it sit in a damp garage for a week. The old style CAT ECU had condensation and told the car the CATs were overheating. That problem was more condensation and humidity than getting the part wet. I've since updated with the new part with better connectors.

I wash my car like normal, spraying lightly over the engine area but nevertheless getting it wet (I have the clear bonnet if it matters), and always make sure to towel off the little bit of water that does get in the engine bay. I'd say don't go crazy getting it wet but also don't go crazy preventing it from getting wet.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I had a problem with my car not starting after washing it and letting it sit in a damp garage for a week. The old style CAT ECU had condensation and told the car the CATs were overheating. That problem was more condensation and humidity than getting the part wet. I've since updated with the new part with better connectors.

I wash my car like normal, spraying lightly over the engine area but nevertheless getting it wet (I have the clear bonnet if it matters), and always make sure to towel off the little bit of water that does get in the engine bay. I'd say don't go crazy getting it wet but also don't go crazy preventing it from getting wet.
Good advice to replace bad parts. After washing I always drive about 15+ miles at highway speed to blow/dry off any excess water. Driving after washing also prevents the rotors from developing that nasty thin film of rust.

·
Registered
193 Posts
my car is washed and detailed usually twice a week, no issues. The detailer does blow off the excess water around the car (mirrors, door jams, grills, etc) and also blows off the engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts