Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re Gallardo. All owners need to urgently check the small self tapping screws that secure the large black plastic trim moulding to the underneath of the engine cover. The screws are the ones along either side of the engine cover.

My dealer contacted me last week and told me to check these screws. He's found some that have come loose and said that if they "unwound" themselves sufficiently they could jam and scratch the paintwork on the inside of the body buttresses immediately adjacent to the sides of the engine cover, when the engine cover is raised and lowered.

So, not too alarmed, I checked the screws on my car today, and guess what? One had come out and dissappeared totally, and the other was 3/4 out and has put a large scratch on the paintwork. Not happy. The scratch seems to be through the clear coat, but not through the base coat, thank god. I should be able to "hide" it somewhat by polishing, but I think the scratch is now there for life. :(

Attached are two photos to show the screw location.

Any hints or tips as to technically what is the best "paint repair" method now to repair the scratch, would be appreciated. I'll try for warranty but at the end of the day it still comes down to finding someone with skill and knowledge as to the the best way to minimise the scratch visually. Re-painting is a bit drastic for now - I'd first like to try other alternatives.

And to top it all off today, I also found a big stone chip (I guess) right through to the nice shiny aluminium, next to a headlight. Bummer.

But go check those engine cover screws - Now!

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes - do it! I used 3m weatherstrip glue on the threads to lock mine in in place and no problems since.

If I had scratched the paint I would insist the manufacturer fix the problem

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The Factory has issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) about this problem!!

If you can't get to the dealer, do as Kevin suggests and add glue to the screw heads. THEY WILL COME LOOSE..sooner or later!!

Thanks for the Heads up Guys!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'll get the mechanics at my dealership to fix those up. Thanks for the warning.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Bunkhound, same here. I just got my car back from painting the inside of the buttress where a screw had scratched it. And that was AFTER the upgrade! Seems there are now longer screws to fix the problem. The painting was done perfectly and Lamborghini paid for it without hesitation. The painter checked all the screws and found other needed tightening too. The dealer has now replaced all screws with the longer ones.

Re the stone chip - don't feel too bad. You either drive and get chips or keep it in the shed perfect and unused. The first chip is always the worst. I've rationalised it by telling myself it makes the car uniquely mine. ;) When you get enough, you can always paint the front.

Here's a pic to show how bad my scratch was. The paintshop did a brilliant repair and it is now indistiguishable from new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts