Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I went away on a month long business trip. 2 or so weeks into the trip my wife mentions that there is a strong chemical smell in the garage / shed. I worry a little that it is the batter tender cooking the battery (first time I used it on this vehicle, cannot remember if it is an AGM batt or not...).

Anyway, I come back and go have a look -- there is a huge puddle of goop near the driver's side rear tire, and a really strong smell. I had a look, and its dripping something. Turns out its a fuel leak - I turn on the ignition and the tank shows only 1/4 full -- it was completely full when I left...

I live out in the country, and so figure a mouse may have gotten in and chomped through a fuel line (yup, I've had a mouse in the trunk -- my wile now calls it my Mousialago), so I remove the passenger tire, then the shrouds. Can't see the source, so I remove the straps holding in the tank, can't see the leak, so more and more bits come out. And then more bits... And then more bits.... (including the batwing so I can reach the fuel lines, the airbox, etc...)

Eventually I end up fairly sure it is the tank itself -- I look online and find that there is a recall, but for '07 and '08s ( http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=10V215000&refurl=rss ). I decide to call the phone numbers listed in the recall to find out if some '06s may also by affected, but those numbers no longer seem to work. I try call Customer Care as well -- leave a VM, no call back....

Anyway, I'm a fair bit along with the removal by now, and so I end up deciding to pull the entire tank myself. This requires removing the brake calipers, suspension and axle. This is more than I'm comfortable doing, so I call Josh at ECS, who kindly make a house-call and gives me a hand.

Anyway, we pull the entire tank out and it turns out that the foam that goes under the tank to cushion it was not properly installed.

This has caused the tank to vibrate and wear through the tank, at one of the spots where the baffles attach.

More photos: https://www.kumari.net/gallery/index.php/Cars/Lamborghini/Gas-tank-replacement

I have ordered a replacement from Ricambi, should be arriving soon, then it's a bunch of reassembly.

Anyway, I wanted to warn others to check for this issue. If I hadn't been out of town for a few weeks I probably wouldn't have seen this and it could have ended up spraying on the exhaust -- we don't need more pictures of flaming Lambos.
I'm planning on putting this info on a blog as well, do y'all think I should also mention it to the NTSB / someone?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Recalls are handled by the dealer as well. I would have tried calling them to have them handle it.

Nice work though. Props to Josh. I don't know of any shop that does house calls. Gotta be lucky to have ECS near

I would keep trying Lambo service. If you search gallardo recall on power steering under my name, I posted a bunch of contact info. You should get reimbursed if ur car is recalled

1 - 3 of 3 Posts