Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my my 2008 Murcielago, I knew that the front headlights where cloudy due to the extremely common issue where the plastic housing sitting in the sun causes the plastic to radiate a white film onto the inner glass surface. Very similar to a plastic dash on a normal car putting that film on the interior of your windshield. At nearly $10,000 - $12,000 a piece for a new headlight, or pay someone $2,000 -$3,000 to separate them for me, I knew I had to find another solution to clean them up. There was a ton of helpful information on this forum and other places around the internet, but I never found a great tutorial that made me feel comfortable enough to tackle this with confidence. As others have mentioned here, it's always been a dark art of sorts since people sold the service. A local friend who had accomplished this on his own helped recommend a few extra tools needed and a technique that he used that helped a great deal. I found a couple of extra tricks along the way that helped me and hope that it can help someone else.

I am by no means a professional with camera and I realize this video is way too long, boring and completely unnecessary to 99% of the audience here. I'm not making these videos to become a YouTube star. I'm making them to help other owners keep these beautiful machines on the road and in good health. I am a very visual learner and I hope that there is a Murcielago owner out there that would appreciate this type of video prior to them tackling this job themselves. I tried to explain it the way I would want someone to show me prior to me attempting to separate my glass headlights that cost over $10,000. I'd want as much detail as possible.

I enjoy restoring, repairing and maintaining the older Lamborghinis almost as much as I enjoy driving them. I hope that this video helps whoever finds this video in the future while searching how to do this.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great video. Really well done and an excellent resource.

·
Registered
2005 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster & 2007 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Coupe
295 Posts
Hey buddy. Great vide and detail. Can’t wait to see in person

·
Registered
442 Posts
Someone get this man a gold medal.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I made a DIY on the other forum. In my case, the glass was so closely butted up to the composite plastic (it's not regular plastic, but this super strong composite, almost like fiberglass), that I couldn't get anywhere with step 1 (the razor blade), much less step 2 (the spudger). The razor blade did nothing to cut and expand the gap.

So I had to trim off that unnecessary outer lip on the composite plastic. That made it possible on mine, but still very difficult because the factory that made mine were extra generous with their silicone glue that day and there was glue all the way up the backside.

Seems like lots of people don't have that issue of such a tight gap, but if you do, just dremel off that lip with a grinding disc, and you will be able to complete the job with the instruction above, plus you'll be able to easily repeat the cleaning in the future when they fog up again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys; I really appreciate it! Hopefully this helps the next person, along with the information available in the other threads to anyone trying to tackle this job.

Stimpy, I did read your posts over there and that was my backup plan if I couldn't end up getting it. I was almost at that point too. Mine was still stuck on really good at the corners until I bought the clip pliers to help separate the two. Thank you for your input on the other forum. It was valuable information with great photos that helped lead to my decision to try and tackle this.

Reactions: Stimpy

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Great video!!!
FYI If you don’t have the orange trim tools,,, using $1 plastic putty knives or golf tees also work as wedges

·
Registered
748 Posts
Really great information. I watched the whole thing and I don’t even own a murcielago. These kinds of videos are gold to the person who is attempting that particular repair. Thanks for giving back to the community.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts