Lamborghini Talk banner

Very slight smell of fuel

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  bennzwel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have a 07 Spyder with 14000 miles and have noticed a very slight smell of fuel after a drive.
It only comes from the left side of the engine bay ( if stand at the back facing the rear ) and it’s more near the left tail light. I can smell it when I have my face near the rear engine vents on the top.

fuel tank is about 3/4 full.

what possible part could be leaking ? I can’t see to find any leak source there.

See less See more
#4 ·
No check engine light ? Your carbon canister is on the left side behind panel. If you have no leaks at the fuel filter, check the plastic lines going to the canister, they are known to crack/break and emit fumes. If you were to have trouble filling the tank (gas pump agonizingly keeps clicking off) that could be a sign the canister itself is blocked.... but usually that only happens when a car is stored for a Long time, not just 6 months over winter

oops, two posts went up while I was typing

#5 · (Edited)
No check engine light ? Your carbon canister is on the left side behind panel. If you have no leaks at the fuel filter, check the plastic lines going to the canister, they are known to crack/break and emit fumes. If you were to have trouble filling the tank (gas pump agonizingly keeps clicking off) that could be a sign the canister itself is blocked.... but usually that only happens when a car is stored for a Long time, not just 6 months over winter
No lights or issues with the engine or the car.
Is the canister down near the tail light or up near the seats ?
I will further check the lines for any cracks or leaks.

furthermore it seems to be coming from the section shown

#6 · (Edited)
just forward rear shock tower, bunch of hoses in there..... See this post, but this guy had CEL codes. He also had a lousy hose. Maybe you're not coding yet?

There's a couple pictures there to help if anything.. Good Luck, that would be unsettling for me as well

#8 · (Edited)
Nothing specific comes to mind. BUT, a fuel smell from that vent is not very specific itself. It just means the 'leak' is more likely to be somewhere on that side of the car so you're probably putting the lid up in service mode and getting your sniffer down in there to try and pinpoint. Heck, if you had a leaky injector o-ring on the driver's side bank it won't set a code, and that smell has to make its' way out somewhere....... It wouldn't be my first suspect being a 14k mile car but I'm curious to see what you find. Not fun

oh, I just NOW saw that picture you posted. I don't know why it wasn't coming up earlier (does it take awhile for the pics to process) Anyways I see you did narrow it down and I'm afraid I can't be of anymore help without being there. GOOD LUCK

Reactions: bennzwel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.