Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw one youtube a movie from Tyrrell's Classic Workshop showing an Urraco, I could see there were screens in the velocity stacks to prevent things falling in. Is this normal? My car does not have them for some reason.
GRS Paul.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That video had the air cleaner cover removed. Once the air cleaner cover is back on the car, I don't think there's a need for the wire screens, as the air filter box should filter out any large particles . HOWEVER, I plan to remove my air cleaner box and expose the velocity stacks on my P300. (Look at all the Miuras - most of which came from the factory with air cleaner boxes- almost all of the covers have been removed to show those gorgeous velocity stacks.) On the P300, the velocity stacks are joined together in the middle, so there are four "double" stacks instead of eight separate ones as the P250 has. Has anyone replaced the P300 stacks with more polished stacks? What is the manufacturer and part # ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
That video had the air cleaner cover removed. Once the air cleaner cover is back on the car, I don't think there's a need for the wire screens, as the air filter box should filter out any large particles . HOWEVER, I plan to remove my air cleaner box and expose the velocity stacks on my P300. (Look at all the Miuras - most of which came from the factory with air cleaner boxes- almost all of the covers have been removed to show those gorgeous velocity stacks.) On the P300, the velocity stacks are joined together in the middle, so there are four "double" stacks instead of eight separate ones as the P250 has. Has anyone replaced the P300 stacks with more polished stacks? What is the manufacturer and part # ?
Why would you wanna do that? We talk about a really rare and delicate engine, which does not have any power compared to modern cars. So removing the filter is only going to increase the wear of the engine. the engine compartment is a really dirty place, just see the dust and particles that are gathering there after a nice drive. Sure, it is your car. I, on mine try to get the air filter system as tight as possible so that the least possible dirt gets into the engine. I have oil analyses done regularly, and it always shows that there is dust and particles in the oil. I try to avoid that....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My question was if there is a screen present when the car left the factory. Wether a screen is present or not has a great influence on the mixture. That's why I am asking. And I always drive with the air filters on to protect the engine but I replaced the air box covers by transparant covers so you can see the velocity stacks.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Machine

·
Registered
293 Posts
My question was if there is a screen present when the car left the factory. Wether a screen is present or not has a great influence on the mixture. That's why I am asking. And I always drive with the air filters on to protect the engine but I replaced the air box covers by transparant covers so you can see the velocity stacks. View attachment 305840
does your car have the big air box as well or just these 2 boxes? I know that early cars only had these two and nothing more...those screens would are not needed if you have the filters, what would they be good for? flies and stones....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you look at Tyrrells work shop,
I mentioned in the first post you will see an Urraco with three boxes and screens, thats why I ask. My car was an early one and had two boxes, but the previous owner bought the third one and I modified the car to fit in this third one. The reason I ask this is that the presence or the absence of a screen will influence the fuel mixture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts