Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever suffered vandalism to your Lambo? Scratched paintwork, cracked glass, whatever? I'm just wondering about just how careful I'll have to be with my Countach in leaving it parked in public places.

If you can let me have you opinions, advice and experiences I'd be grateful.

L

·
0 Posts
Hi Jim,

My only advice, after having a lambo for 20+ years, is to NVER leave your car in a public place. I've had door dings, car backed into, plumbing break over it, people dropping things on it! They just don't care.

Unless you have a body man you trust and can take it to him once every couple of years, you'll be way ahead slipping some $$ to the parking attendant to keep an eye on the car.

Good luck!

Fred

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The things you mention that have happened to your cars appear to be more accidental or due to negligence rather than malicious intent, which I'm more worried about.

My PT Cruiser has been scratched, dented and spat on but curiously my old Porsche 911 Turbo never got touched. It's an odd world.

Some people's experience is that a car like a Countach is so way out of this world that people can't bring themselves to harm it like they do with Mercedes and BMWs. I'm guessing that really depends on the mindset of the potential vandal.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Jim,
Here in Spain they are much more car nuts than the UK, they seem to want to touch the car all over.
I have put two small signs, one in the bottom of the front windscreen and one in the glass behind the drivers head. They say ( In Spanish of course) exactly what the car is, the HP the year etc and how many were made. Also the fact that the body is made of Aluminium that is just 1 mm thick so please do NOT touch.
Then is asks them to respect a car that is a collectors item.
Since I put them on I have no problems at all, in fact I have seen one or two people actually telling people off for not reading the notices and touching the car, whether this would work in the UK I do not know as the Spanish actually respect classics like these cars are.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm with Fred on this!!!

even an accidental door dent or scratch on a Countach can cause "major expense and grief" to undo. You will need to front load the security to avoid dealing with mishaps that would most assuredly ruin your day.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer chap at Sant Agata Lamborghini, where I'm buying the Countach, maintains that he's never had a problem with vandalism to any of his cars, and he uses them regularly to keep them running while they await a buyer.

Of course I have no idea whether he's fibbing or not, but he seems like a genuine enthusiast...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've never had any problems with any exotic and I drive what I own every day and park where I go whether it be grocery store or shopping mall. Never had any problems except the following:

1.) Overnight hotel stay out of town with a Hummer H1, broken into (www.slantback.com click on blue slantback and then breakin pictures) -- they were after the sound system stuff, the fact that it was a H1 was consequential.

2.) Shopping cart dent on my lexus sc430 -- simple one to pull out anyway.

That's it, and that's an 8 year driving record there.

I find that more people are respectful and cautious about the Diablo -- this is from usually parking if possible within a birdseye view. Even kids here know not to touch.

-Ben

·
Registered
464 Posts
I always try and park my car Valet and I park it myself. Like Ben said it should be in clear view and not close to any cars that might damage your car when they open the door.

I never take it to a mall, grocery store or running around town because the likely hood of it getting damaged is much greater. If you do go to these places I always valet

·
Administrator
5,166 Posts
I'm very paranoid, I even get nervous at car shows, where people should be respectful. As far as a parking lot? Never happen.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The last time i was at a car show people stood so close to the front of the car to take pictures that I kept imaging them falling onto the car, it was buggin me out. Other than that I think terry’s idea of putting up a sign with car info and saying please respect sounds pretty good, I’m def. going to make one up.

-ortiz

·
Registered
59 Posts
car covers?

I rememeber reading in Car and Driver where he took an F car across the country. and used a car cover to combat the stares and vandalism. I wonder how that would work out at say the local shopping center or on a side street.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I never let mine out of my site. Until the other day I parked it in the far corner of a shopping mall car park. There were 400 more spaces around it and not anoth car in sight... when I got back, a raced-up Citroen Saxo had parked so close to it I couldn't get in the driver side. 400 spaces and he parks next to me?

That's the problem, people want to get close... and don't think.

Bit like being in an empty cinema and someone comes and sits right in front of you? Happens to me all the time?

You have to assume that there are enough people out there with no respect, or in fact resentment for those that have done well - to warrant a threat.

Andy

P.S. I'm not sitting on my own in an empty cinema!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just look at the cars most of use as a daily drivers new or old, I know my new cars with the exception of my Lamborghini all have small dings and such from public parking lots,it can't be avoided some people are just careless.

As Ben stated earlier most people tend to respect these cars more than they would, say a Ford Explorer and I have to agree that most do.

For me I never leave my Lambo unattended and thats why she is still flawless.

My wife and I took my Ferrari for a nice long drive to a high end furniture store back in April, we parked a mile away and with in a half hr had people parked smack dab on both sides of us with 50 open spots in front of the store.
Someone had also spit all over my passenger door and windshield ,so much for respect!

Vandelism may not be the norm ,but I learned my lesson in public lots it could have been a key down the door ,I won't be driving my Lambo to the mall anytime soon!

I still enjoy my car very much and don't feel i'm missing out on the driving experience avoiding the public!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like there are a variety of opinions and experiences - thanks for all your responses. I still haven't seen anyone post any experience of having their Lamborghini intentionally vandalised though. Has this specific thing actually happened to anyone's Lambo?

As I said, it HAS happened to my PT Cruiser which makes me wonder whether it's any more or less likely to happen to my Countach.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
terryjoint said:
Never happened here, nor in my opinion likely to, too much respect about for this type of classic

Several of my mates share your view - if it was a BMW then people seem more likely to hate it (& its driver) than something as exotic as a Lambo. There's some kind of logic in there. People genuinely love cars like the Countach - The BBC's "Top Gear" programme recently said the Countach was still the No.1 Boy's bedroom poster pin-up. My gut feeling is that when people see a Countach they are more in awe than jealous and can't bring themselves to harm it. BMWs and Mercedes tend to elicit feelings of jealousy because they have that "money" image without the "wow" factor. The dealer at Sant Agata echoes this sentiment.

In case anyone's interested, the reason my PT Cruiser got scratched up was because I parked it outside the home of a "Chav" (trendy teenager in designer sports clothing for you non-UK folks) and he and his gang of mates were loitering in the area and gave me a lot of mouth for being a "Goth". I was visiting friends and when I came out later on there was this dirty great scratch all the way down it. Apparently there's this "grudge thing" between Goths and Chavs although it's invariably Chavs hurting Goths rather than the other way around. I have no doubt that in this case if I'd have been in the Lambo they would have scratched that. But the whole thing was kinda "personal" with them. Assholes!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Webbo said:
I never let mine out of my site. Until the other day I parked it in the far corner of a shopping mall car park. There were 400 more spaces around it and not anoth car in sight... when I got back, a raced-up Citroen Saxo had parked so close to it I couldn't get in the driver side. 400 spaces and he parks next to me?

That's the problem, people want to get close... and don't think.

Bit like being in an empty cinema and someone comes and sits right in front of you? Happens to me all the time?

You have to assume that there are enough people out there with no respect, or in fact resentment for those that have done well - to warrant a threat.

Andy

P.S. I'm not sitting on my own in an empty cinema!!!
He probably wanted to whore some attention that your car is getting onto his haha

1 - 20 of 54 Posts