Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always felt that the value of some used cars go up as people get older and feel nostalgic about cars that they were too young or too practical to afford.

But, some things this year have just thrown me off. 1990s Acura NSXs are hovering in the 60-110k. Acura Integra R hatchbacks sell for 40-65k recently on BaT.

In the 90s, the NSX was my favorite car, right up there with a Lexus LS400. But I'm not sure I'd pay 80k for an NSX when a few more bucks gets you a G (which is far superior in looks, performance, tech, safety, etc). Also they made about 18k NSXs worldwide over 13 years or so... so a little bit more than the G and yet they're commanding some unbelievable prices.

The question is... will it take 10 more years for those that grew up in the 2000s to feel nostalgic about Gs and cause a spike in prices or demand?

The NSX does have history, being the first Japanese exotic car, causing the Italians to take note and start to try building their cars better, so there's that going for it. Really caused a change in engineering. But the G also represents the first collaboration with Audi that made them also more usable, reliable, etc. That should count for something in the history books.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Not that I know all that much about Lamborghini but I think the first collaboration with Audi was with the 2001 Diablo.
We’ve seen those appreciate

I look at1989-91 M3 and feel the same
It’s nice, but not 100k nice

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hey, people have paid over $100K for a restored '57 Chevy. You cannot make sense out of car prices. Beauty (and value) are all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not that I know all that much about Lamborghini but I think the first collaboration with Audi was with the 2001 Diablo.
We’ve seen those appreciate

Oh yes, the E30 M3.. that's another one! 100k!?! WHAAAAAT!

Also, Lamborghini made the Diablo in 1990, but Audi didn't buy Lamb until 1998. So there was probably some collaboration for the 2001, but it was mostly a carry over. I believe the 2004 G was the first ground-up design with Audi's full influence.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, people have paid over $100K for a restored '57 Chevy. You cannot make sense out of car prices. Beauty (and value) are all in the eye of the beholder.
I've wondered about that and Muscle cars too.. but I can't help but feel it's got to be generational? Like for instance, while I can appreciate a 57 Bel Air and Thunderbirds/Vettes from that era or 70s muscle cars... I'd have zero interest in owning one. However, my neighbor in his 70s... has a muscle car in his garage. I highly doubt he'd ever care to own an NSX or Integra R or E30 M3.

So it seems like we're seeing rarer cars from the 80s and 90s starting to take off. Also look at a Buick Grand National from the 80s... they were always a little high, but nowadays are pushing G prices, just wow.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So true honda s2000 onBat they are fetching crazy numbers i just don’t get it.
And many more head scratching ...on other different brands.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So true honda s2000 onBat they are fetching crazy numbers i just don’t get it.
And many more head scratching ...on other different brands.
Oh yeah, the S2000.. that's another one. and they made 111,000 of them! Also, back in the mid-2000s I looked at one and just couldn't figure out their appeal, that VTEC BS that everyone talked about was silly. I don't like having to be at 7k rpm to get anywhere (they have no power at the lower band). I went for an 2006 M3 Cabriolet instead which wasn't much faster (maybe 1 second), but the power band was so flat and solid, it made driving so much more pleasant. Pretty much anything could out accelerate the S2000 at a stop light.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That said... the E39 M5 is something worthy of its prices... some low mileage ones going for 50k nowadays. I think THAT'S a car that will continue to go up in value and is deserving of it. As it's truly the pinnacle of BMW M sedan engineering. There are also plenty Porsches that fall in that category too. But these were special cars from the get go. I just don't see an S2000 or Integra R to be special.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Seems to be that guys want their favorite car fro high school or college. Once they can afford it they will buy it. Normally that seems to be 20-30 yrs after high school which causes these prices to rise. It’s not about performance, it’s about nostalgia. I know there are cars that perform much better than my 1967 Jaguar E type or 1969 Shelby GT350 but few cars are more beautiful.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
How about early 80’s Camaro and Firebirds? Those were the worst of the worst when they came out. They had no power, no handling and looked like crap even when they were new. Even those are going up in value which I never dreamed would happen lol.

·
Registered
574 Posts
@Oz tell me about biggest POS in the 80’s
camaro leaking t tops just crap...especially the plastics junk.
And today people are paying top money.

·
Vendor
2,621 Posts
Great post! I’ve steadily watched these cars probably since 2008, the Gallardo. In 10 years for sure they will be worth more. The bottom out curve is over and prices have slightly risen and will as years go on with less and less available.

The S2000 is car is known to have one of the best manual shifters ever made. I remember back in the day many supercar/track enthusiasts used to have S2000’s in their stable for this reason. Also, 9,000 Rpm redline with the highest output per liter until the Ferrari 458 came out. I’ve had a S2K since new and it’s a great car and haven’t sold it because of that 9,000 rpm and now it’s worth more than I bought it for.

Many newer dual clutch cars get so fast to redline, you can’t even wind them out anymore and you don’t get to hear the engine before you have to shift. That’s why I went with a 458 instead of the 488. In the 488 you have to shift before you can even get the engine to sing and they lowered the redline to 8k on it and 458 is 9k and naturally aspirated. Huge huge difference.

Again, I think also some of these older cars were the dream many 16 year olds and now the rush is coming on where they can afford the cars they always wanted. Gallardo.... nsx. Etc.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,330 Posts
This is a great thread on nostalgia and values! Missing from it, however, is massive inflation in today’s economy. Yes, there are people who have no jobs because of corona shut downs and I really empathize with them, but for those who have money, their Cash is deflating quickly so why not buy an asset: your own dream car. Tons of cash in the system + inflationary pressures = values rising on many levels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This post and comments lends to really answer the question why people spend a bunch of money on clean older cars (instead of a newer, better performing counterpart)... nostalgia. "I always loved this car" or "This was my dream car growing up". **** if you can do it, why not? I just can't think of a car I'd do that for.

·
Registered
574 Posts
i have no nostalgia cars i like because they were no were as good as of some these newer cars...i want new cool cars.
mclaren p1 ferrari laferrari etc....but i cant afford them...lol

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i have no nostalgia cars i like because they were no were as good as of some these newer cars...i want new cool cars.
mclaren p1 ferrari laferrari etc....but i cant afford them...lol
I get that
My 1969 corvette that was 1/390 my 1969 drives like sh1t. But it’s irreplaceable. I can replace all these new cars with something better and faster.
My Countach is another. Value has increased to a point where driving it I need to be careful.
Another downside to increased valuation.
Cannot replace

·
Registered
574 Posts
topcarbon if i was you i would sell the countach...and move on Bat has one for 371 so far.
I don’t get the draw other then they were cool cars for their day my friend had a white on white and white wheels...and i swear they where built for small people....remember we are custodians of cool cars
but after a while i like to try different food .Good luck shining the cars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts