Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Lamborghineers :)
Question:
If a Diablo has a clean car fax, title, etc but had its engine replaced. How much depreciation occurs because of it (ie 10%, 20%)

if an engine has been replaced, by law, does it have to show up in service records?

when purchasing a used lambo, how does one ensure the car is all original? More specifically how to ensure the VIN matches the engine serial number that was originally shipped from the factory?

from what I understand, the serial number of the engine is stamped inside it. Otherwise, It can’t be visibly seen without taking parts off the engine.

I doubt any used lambo buyer asks the seller to open up the engine.

fyi, I’ve bought American muscle cars and can easily verify an all matching numbers car. Just trying to figure out how you guys verify an all matching numbers lambo.

thanks!
You may resume your day

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
In the Diablos I have sold, no one ever verified engine originality. The buy took the car to a mechanic and got their ppi, everything checked out and off the car went.
I would think there have been very few engine swaps of Diablos as there are very few engines out there.
In the case of my 1969 Corvette, originality is everything as its a rare L-89 motor and only 390 were made. Without its originality it would be just like the other 46,000 that model year

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Diablo's DO NOT have a visible serial number on the outside block..etc etc to verify BORN with motor.

I can tell you that I know of at least 6 Diablos that have had their motors swapped....NOT a big deal IMO

HOWEVER keep in mind that THE 6.0SE motors DIFFER from the 6.0 standard motors on their internals as well as a few externals pieces, so be careful when looking at a 60SE compared to a 6.0 Same with the 96-99SV cars, 98 SV ME cars and the 94 SE30 cars. Each had differnt internals for performance upgrades

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Diablo's DO NOT have a visible serial number on the outside block..etc etc to verify BORN with motor.

I can tell you that I know of at least 6 Diablos that have had their motors swapped....NOT a big deal IMO

HOWEVER keep in mind that THE 6.0SE motors DIFFER from the 6.0 standard motors on their internals as well as a few externals pieces, so be careful when looking at a 60SE compared to a 6.0 Same with the 96-99SV cars, 98 SV ME cars and the 94 SE30 cars. Each had differnt internals for performance upgrades
great information! I’ll bookmark this post.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,092 Posts
FYI, the motors are stamped with a number. I think this is a unique number on each block and if so would have been matched or indexed to a VIN at the factory. Mine shown here is 33410, right side as viewed from rear, just forward of the alternator.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Angel, to answer your question I think it contributes to the overall story. More story equals less value, in my opinion. Do you happen to know that the motor was swapped or are you guessing? That car you are looking at has 25,000 miles and it seems odd to me the motor would be swapped with such low mileage. Also, I’m not sure if it would be required by law to be reported, though I doubt it, and I doubt very many people would report it. These cars have engine-outs more often than many others because of clutch and starters. In theory, and that would make swapping out an engine relatively straightforward.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Angel, to answer your question I think it contributes to the overall story. More story equals less value, in my opinion. Do you happen to know that the motor was swapped or are you guessing? That car you are looking at has 25,000 miles and it seems odd to me the motor would be swapped with such low mileage. Also, I’m not sure if it would be required by law to be reported, though I doubt it, and I doubt very many people would report it. These cars have engine-outs more often than many others because of clutch and starters. In theory, and that would make swapping out an engine relatively straightforward.
Clyde,
I’m currently looking to acquire a Diablo. I’ve learned from you guys that the earlier models are earthy(fun) to drive and can be wrenched on(my cup of tea). However, I’ve also heard from some lambo certified mechanics that the later models are easier to keep on the road (parts are readily accessible).

I’ve been scouring the internet and realized I know nothing about how Lambos are valued as it relates to authenticity (number matching, repaint, etc). Thus my questions in this thread.

if you or anyone else comes across a great/good deal on a Diablo(roadster or not) let me know. Looking for something less than $200k, as I plan on keeping my Murci.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Sounds like a great plan, Angel, and a Murcialago and Diablo next to each other in the garage would certainly be a dream. Sounds like you are quite handy so putting some work into your car is not a big deal. I really like the one you showed and have seen it on the Internet for a while I just don’t know anything about it mechanically. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your new ride.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My Diablo has a replacement factory short block built by George Evans. Worth more or less with the original motor? Who knows, and I will be dead by the time it matters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts