Lamborghini Talk banner

261 - 271 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I think he is talking more about the feeling. Because there a ton of actual better drivers cars.
Some consider the less refined and less advanced car a better driving experience.

Some consider the more advanced car that does everything for them a better driving experience.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Bullseye Tomaso! Some of us want to test our skill and control each aspect of the dynamic forces as we drive. Others want to simply press the throttle, steer and go as fast as possible while sensors keep them out of trouble ;) Just being a smart ass...for drivers, it is a personal experience and personal choice between manual skill or harnessing the latest tech. While I love my 560-2 6sp and will never sell it, I can appreciate the precision and speed of the HP and the SVJ.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I'm just grateful for Ferruccio's dream and the times the company has avoided financial ruin to get to where it is today. It's an amazing part of life to walk out into the garage, slither into alcantara or leather and start up your V10 or V12 bull!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm just grateful for Ferruccio's dream and the times the company has avoided financial ruin to get to where it is today. It's an amazing part of life to walk out into the garage, slither into alcantara or leather and start up your V10 or V12 bull!
Betting most of us still get the same thrill every time we start that V10 just like the first time. We still look into the garage on occasion just to take a look and admire the art work sitting there and reality that we have one!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Bullseye Tomaso! Some of us want to test our skill and control each aspect of the dynamic forces as we drive. Others want to simply press the throttle, steer and go as fast as possible while sensors keep them out of trouble ;) Just being a smart ass...for drivers, it is a personal experience and personal choice between manual skill or harnessing the latest tech. While I love my 560-2 6sp and will never sell it, I can appreciate the precision and speed of the HP and the SVJ.
Well said DucFiend!
Two different driving experiences each with its own merit.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Is Kevin a member on this forum?
Do we know anyone at DDE?
Bottom line: Can we get the last 5 digits of that Anniversary car VIN? I can sdd this bit of notoriety to the appropriate car in the registry.
This is a bump on my previous post above. Does someone on this forum know Kevin and can we get the last 5 digits of the VIN from that Anniversary that was in the DDE video? All this info is always kept confidential so a PM to me would work. Just want to document which Anniversary car that is for the registry. Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A bit off topic - but I am seeing a lot of photos of gated cars parked with their parking brake engaged, but the gear lever in neutral.

I've always been of the understanding, that you should park the car in 1st gear AND engage the parking brake.

Am I wrong here?

Saw this TT Manual Gated LP at Scottdale Cars and Coffee over the weekend. VIN ending in 08386.

Great looking car. Was this one of the original gated cars or a conversion?

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
964 Posts
In my opinion, it depends. My manuals I park usually in first gear with no parking brake if I have been riding and the brakes are hot. I don’t want them to seize up. Also, if the car will be parked for a long time I have always had a feeling that the brakes could tend to not spring back as much if they are engaged for long periods of time. As for safety, if you are worried someone would get in the car and push in the clutch thereby causing the car to roll I would put the handbrake on regardless. In my case, I don’t suspect anyone in my garage doing that.

My comments are my opinions based on driving manuals for 30+ years but I’m very curious the more in-depth mechanics on here what their opinions are.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
In my opinion, it depends. My manuals I park usually in first gear with no parking brake if I have been riding and the brakes are hot. I don’t want them to seize up. Also, if the car will be parked for a long time I have always had a feeling that the brakes could tend to not spring back as much if they are engaged for long periods of time. As for safety, if you are worried someone would get in the car and push in the clutch thereby causing the car to roll I would put the handbrake on regardless. In my case, I don’t suspect anyone in my garage doing that.

My comments are my opinions based on driving manuals for 30+ years but I’m very curious the more in-depth mechanics on here what their opinions are.
I've been driving manuals now for over 50 years and I've simply done this: If it's parked somewhere outside the garage, it's in gear with the handbrake on. That can prove useful here in Pittsburgh when parked on a hill. If it's in my garage, it might be sitting there for awhile if it's not my daily driver. So the car is in gear with no handbrake to prevent the handbrake pads (or brake shoes from the days with rear drum brakes) from sticking to the rear brakes. I'm sure someone told me to do this as a teenager and I've just been in the habit ever since. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good call on the selective use of the handbrake. As for parking "in gear" - glad to know I wasn't missing something.

I've seen multiple photos of gated cars parked in neutral and I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something as I've always parked in 1st gear.

(My wife parked our M3 in neutral one time, and the e-brake failed, and the car rolled back and rubbed against the garage door with it's back bumper. When the door was opened, the one and only scratch across the back bumper was a nice reminder of why I like to park in gear).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Like DiabloClyde, I never use the parking brake is the brakes are hot. Otherwise I always park in first (unless sloped downhill, then reverse) and always use the parking brake. If you don't use it all the time, the cable can seize in its sleeve; I've had it happen often.
The newer cars have an e-brake, so this would not apply.

261 - 271 of 271 Posts