Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After picking up my car from the dealer for a key programming, I'm having issues upshifting. Initially, it didn't want to go into first. It eventually did and I figured I just didn't have my foot on the brake pedal properly or something. After a few minutes, nothing but issues. It eventually does upshift, but I have to pull the paddle multiple times; "hitting" it back seems to work best (either that or it's coincidence). Down-shifts are no problem at all. Frustrated, I stopped for food and when I got back in, it shifted perfectly, as if nothing was wrong at all, The only common factor I can deduce is the issue presented itself when the car was warm.

I have no lights on and everything is otherwise perfect.

Has anyone experienced similar? Thoughts on what to check?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Keep driving it, when/if it happens again, switch to Auto mode on your egear. If it upshifts/downshifts normally, then it's probably an issue with your right egear paddle/seleswitch, which is just a remove/replace with new one deal. Also, means your egear is fine.

If it still struggles upshifting while in Auto, then probably an egear issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't had a chance to take it back out,but had a thought: it goes into neutral without issue, which means it's reading the right paddle. And if it's reading the right paddle, but not upshifting, then the issue beyond the paddle.

So, anything I can check/test myself?

I've done the soft reset previously, but will do it again before I take it out next.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Interesting, but you also said it's sometimes shifts perfectly. So could still be an intermittent fault on the right paddle. Generally if the eGear gets a command for a shift and it can't perform it (say an actuator is bad or you have low battery), it would usually give you a fault. Usually. In this case, it's almost like it never received the command in the first place.

I'd still try the Auto button WHEN it starts acting up. The seleswitch on the paddles are known to fail sometimes. Not too uncommon.

What kills me about it, is that you can't put it in AUTO UNLESS you're already in a forward gear. So say the switch fails at a stop light after it's been in neutral, you're kind of stuck. It'd be nice if they put another button that allowed it to limp off. On some BMWs I have, the trans will go into 3rd gear to allow you to limp home or at least off the street. Of course I sat and wondered what's scarier... the fact that it could fail at all... OR the fact that BMW figured it might fail, so built in a workaround! LOL

·
Registered
116 Posts
How long does it take for ur egear pump to prime when u open the door? Do all 6 Lights come up on gear change?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, but you also said it's sometimes shifts perfectly. So could still be an intermittent fault on the right paddle. Generally if the eGear gets a command for a shift and it can't perform it (say an actuator is bad or you have low battery), it would usually give you a fault. Usually. In this case, it's almost like it never received the command in the first place.

I'd still try the Auto button WHEN it starts acting up. The seleswitch on the paddles are known to fail sometimes. Not too uncommon.

What kills me about it, is that you can't put it in AUTO UNLESS you're already in a forward gear. So say the switch fails at a stop light after it's been in neutral, you're kind of stuck. It'd be nice if they put another button that allowed it to limp off. On some BMWs I have, the trans will go into 3rd gear to allow you to limp home or at least off the street. Of course I sat and wondered what's scarier... the fact that it could fail at all... OR the fact that BMW figured it might fail, so built in a workaround! LOL
Ha! I'll take the workaround so I can limp home any day!

Makes sense. I'll give this a shot and see if it auto-shifts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long does it take for ur egear pump to prime when u open the door? Do all 6 Lights come up on gear change?

There's a 1 second delay, then approximately 4.5 - 5 seconds to prime.

I'll pay attention to the lights, but I haven't seen any abnormal lights or lack of lights.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's a 1 second delay, then approximately 4.5 - 5 seconds to prime.

I'll pay attention to the lights, but I haven't seen any abnormal lights or lack of lights.
Sounds Like The egear pump is grand. If it wasn't u would be getting all 6 gear lights flashing at once

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds Like The egear pump is grand. If it wasn't u would be getting all 6 gear lights flashing at once

Well that's great news!!

Yeah, nothing flashing at all and no codes being thrown..yet. Hopeful it's something "simple"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so did some spirited driving and no shifting issues at all initially. The longer I drove, however, the worse it got; up-shifting only. No lights flashing, no codes thrown.

I switched to Auto when I couldn't upshift and the car shifts by itself as if nothing is wrong. I tried this multiple times with the same result: no up-shifts with the paddle, but up-shifts fine in auto-mode.

So, I'm assuming now that the egear system itself is fine and there's an issue with that particular paddle or associated mechanics. Progress!

Now to search for a diagram and see what's inside. If anyone has a link or knows what parts are in there, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ah, there ya go. It's actually not too uncommon. Sometimes there's just enough contact to put it into Neutral, but not quite enough to initiate an upshift command.

The unit itself uses a little microswitch, and that's what tends to fail. I've not heard of anyone actually being able to repair the switch itself. Mostly bacause I think it's sealed or one of those deals where once it's opened, you can't reliably seal it again.

The good news is that it's not that terrible to replace and only costs about 1k.

Lamborghini 401953513, Combination Switch (E-Gear) | Scuderia Car Parts

There are other things connected to that assembly, that are kind of important, so not sure you'd want to try to open it up if other parts can be broken.

Could also be a good time to upgrade to extended paddle shifters for another ~$600.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even though the button on the switch appears sealed, I was able to revive mine by spraying contact cleaner into the button while rapidly pressing it.

I also second doing the extended paddles while doing this. They are so much better than the tiny stock paddles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, how many miles on your 2012?
Fantastic! That sound a lot better than I was fearing and this could be a fun DIY project. It's almost time for it to hibernate anyway, so I have time to play around.

16k miles now. What sucks is I experienced this issue when it was still under warranty, but it was sooooooo infrequent, I never bothered to take it in (mostly because my local dealer was a giant PITA and didn't want to cover anything under warranty because I have a subwoofer and amp installed..) 🤬

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even though the button on the switch appears sealed, I was able to revive mine by spraying contact cleaner into the button while rapidly pressing it.

I also second doing the extended paddles while doing this. They are so much better than the tiny stock paddles.
You took the steering wheel off and did that or somehow got to it from the outside?

And yes, if I have to open it up anyway, I may as well upgrade those wimpy paddles!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I actually enjoy projects like this where you can relatively easily fix something, not break your back (or bank) doing it and also upgrade it along the way.

Yes, I've decided if mine ever acts up just once, either replace the battery and/or swap out the assembly. It would just be silly to be stranded because I can't get it into 1st gear.

I wonder why some fail, maybe manufacturing tolerances or weather exposure causing the contacts to oxidize or something like that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually enjoy projects like this where you can relatively easily fix something, not break your back (or bank) doing it and also upgrade it along the way.

Yes, I've decided if mine ever acts up just once, either replace the battery and/or swap out the assembly. It would just be silly to be stranded because I can't get it into 1st gear.

I wonder why some fail, maybe manufacturing tolerances or weather exposure causing the contacts to oxidize or something like that.
There's absolutely no reason these should be failing with such low miles. I'm going to reach out to Lambo and see if they'll offer doing anything about it. Holding my breath...

·
Registered
741 Posts
There's absolutely no reason these should be failing with such low miles. I'm going to reach out to Lambo and see if they'll offer doing anything about it. Holding my breath...
Good idea! Also, it wouldn't kill them to reprogram the eGear computer so that it would allow a user to press the Auto button (whether they are in R, N, or 1) and then allow the car to go into Auto mode. I wonder if the Huracan's allow that.

As I mentioned before, you have to be in a forward gear to get Auto to work which I feel is just silly and considering these darn paddles have issues sometimes... which can be a safety thing, having a bypass to get it into 1st would be nice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Be aware that this requires a reset (at least in Pre-LP cars) , to the ABS Steering angle sensor or testing parameter. So not a DIY without a LARA system.

Did you happen to clean it still together, or did you take it all apart ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts