Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 2005 Gallardo egear. Last reading on clutch was 50% when I purchased 1 year ago. That may have not been accurate.
just moved and now I have a steep hill. Coming out of my driveway, there is a steep hill with 17 degree gradient. I have to accelerate up hill. Around 8 degree grade. It’s all steep and no other choice. The car starts to jerk. Almost violently. And then I stop and try again until I am at the top which is about 40 feet. The clutch burns, smells and light smoke. Very very jerky up the hill. I try to accelerate quickly and same jerkiness. I try to feather (I know this slips the clutch) but trying for smoothness to get up the hill. Still very jerk.
can this be fixed with a Kevlar clutch or will I have to sell the car

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I would look into getting storage for the car somewhere nearby. Hopefully there is a secure garage that you could keep the car at so the clutch doesn't get destroyed from your driveway

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello
I have a 2005 Gallardo egear. Last reading on clutch was 50% when I purchased 1 year ago. That may have not been accurate.
just moved and now I have a steep hill. Coming out of my driveway, there is a steep hill with 17 degree gradient. I have to accelerate up hill. Around 8 degree grade. It’s all steep and no other choice. The car starts to jerk. Almost violently. And then I stop and try again until I am at the top which is about 40 feet. The clutch burns, smells and light smoke. Very very jerky up the hill. I try to accelerate quickly and same jerkiness. I try to feather (I know this slips the clutch) but trying for smoothness to get up the hill. Still very jerk.
I have a steep downhill INTO my home. I made the mistake of pulling straight into my garage, thus trying to reverse out of my driveway. Bad move, same issue. I almost had to sell the car. Now I roll down the hill in neutral, use the momentum to carry me up, then back into the garage in neutral. This now puts me in YOUR camp, which is accelerating out of my garage up a hill, I don't have your issue though. I think it comes from a START on a hill, as opposed to rolling into a hill already going in 1st. If you are able to carry your momentum into the driveway and stay in first I'd suggest that (faster approach). Our cars just cant start on hills, and if you have to come to a near stop to deal with your angle of attack, you're likely screwed with the car. For your next you'd need to buy a manual or a dual clutch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check the throttle bodies, over time they cause the car to jerk much more often, on mine the jerking was so hard that the car was even stalling when accelerating from a complete stop at lights. Also it used to jerk more hardly when driving uphill before my throttle bodies got fixed.
From what I have heard the kevlar clutch causes more violent jerking (on pre-LPs?), but I could be wrong, please correct me if I am mistaken.
Driving uphill uses much more clutch, driving uphill+slowly uses much much more clutch, slowly + uphill + reverse is a nightmare for the clutch. If you want to extend clutch life then when accelerating from a complete stop then accelerate firmly so the gearbox releases the clutch fast and does not use it (a SprintBooster helps with this but you can do the same without), just like on a manual gearbox. If you accelerate slowly then you can feel the clutch engagement is longer.
Every time when I drive mine to the garage uphill I try drive it so the clutch got disengaged as soon as the car is on the uphill, sometimes you can even disengage the clutch before the uphill if the transition is smooth - it is not always possible because sometimes you have to slow down before the uphill not to hit the front bumper, but if possible you should do it.

EDIT: You can also try a egear soft reset - hold both paddles for 30 seconds - it often fixes hard jerking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the help. I think I’m going to replace the clutch with Kevlar so clutch release can happen sooner. Thinking of Hi Tech. Will the clutch release if I accelerate hard up the hill. The flattest run I will have is about 6degrees for about 5 ft. Then starts getting steeper

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you for all the help. I think I’m going to replace the clutch with Kevlar so clutch release can happen sooner. Thinking of Hi Tech. Will the clutch release if I accelerate hard up the hill. The flattest run I will have is about 6degrees for about 5 ft. Then starts getting steeper
yours looks like mine (exiting my house) for the most part ive never had an issue as long as i take it with SOME speed, not creeping up like you might in a normal car. i have a kevlar clutch as well, although its overkill and does cause some interesting behavior on a stock engine.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
Educate me, given I am new to Lamborghini, and also never owned a Gallardo, but are Gallardo clutches that fragile and if so why?

·
Vendor
3,008 Posts
[/QUOTE]

This is NOT good. When it starts to smoke you could kill it if it isn't allowed to cool down asap. I've seen clutches go super fast when they start to smoke. I have both OEM and aftermarket Kevlar clutches. Kevlar will last double, but are more expensive. You could also store the car somewhere if you don't want to deal with the clutch. I can go over this easier if you want to text/call me 717-319-2100

Educate me, given I am new to Lamborghini, and also never owned a Gallardo, but are Gallardo clutches that fragile and if so why?
No. Only if they aren't driven properly.These cars need to be treated like a true manual car, sport mode on, and avoid reverse when possible. One time in reverse is equal to 10 times going forward (reverse never fully engages and constantly slips the clutch at all times). Using the search feature on this forum will get you a lot of feedback on this. It's reliable IF you know how to DRIVE it (but who knows what the last person did before you)

Reactions: Lambo2018

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
No. Only if they aren't driven properly.These cars need to be treated like a true manual car, sport mode on, and avoid reverse when possible. One time in reverse is equal to 10 times going forward (reverse never fully engages and constantly slips the clutch at all times). Using the search feature on this forum will get you a lot of feedback on this. It's reliable IF you know how to DRIVE it (but who knows what the last person did before you)
Greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There is a trick to going up a steep hill. I would NEVER attempt this in reverse as it will smoke your clutch instantly but I had a place rented that had a 20% grade driveway and I could get up the driveway no problem. I had to come in at a 45 degree angle so the front would not scrape. As soon as the front tires were both on the driveway I would stab the gas pedal so the clutch fully engages and then you have to go up as fast as possible so the car doesnt start to jerk. Also. You have a 2005 which adds to the problem as your 1st gear ratio sucks and is a taller gear so it takes even more speed for the clutch to fully engage. Mine is a 2006 so it has the shorter first gear ratio which makes it easier. You might be screwed with the 05 if you cant get up enough speed to go up the driveway without the clutch slipping. Make sure you have done the paddle egear reset and try again. I dont think a kevlar clutch is going to make any difference and may make it even worse. The key to this is speed. I had 2 tight turns going up this driveway on the house we rented so it was an adventure getting up it every time but I never slipped the clutch at all. Let us kow how it works out.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
I feel for you! I remember all too well that smell of burning clutch. I wish I had a remedy for you but you seem to be doing all you can to mitigate the clutch wear. My 2008 was quite a challenge and reverse was my worst enemy which you already know.

Reactions: Jason B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a trick to going up a steep hill. I would NEVER attempt this in reverse as it will smoke your clutch instantly but I had a place rented that had a 20% grade driveway and I could get up the driveway no problem. I had to come in at a 45 degree angle so the front would not scrape. As soon as the front tires were both on the driveway I would stab the gas pedal so the clutch fully engages and then you have to go up as fast as possible so the car doesnt start to jerk. Also. You have a 2005 which adds to the problem as your 1st gear ratio sucks and is a taller gear so it takes even more speed for the clutch to fully engage. Mine is a 2006 so it has the shorter first gear ratio which makes it easier. You might be screwed with the 05 if you cant get up enough speed to go up the driveway without the clutch slipping. Make sure you have done the paddle egear reset and try again. I dont think a kevlar clutch is going to make any difference and may make it even worse. The key to this is speed. I had 2 tight turns going up this driveway on the house we rented so it was an adventure getting up it every time but I never slipped the clutch at all. Let us kow how it works out.
Thanks for the info. I am undecided.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is NOT good. When it starts to smoke you could kill it if it isn't allowed to cool down asap. I've seen clutches go super fast when they start to smoke. I have both OEM and aftermarket Kevlar clutches. Kevlar will last double, but are more expensive. You could also store the car somewhere if you don't want to deal with the clutch. I can go over this easier if you want to text/call me 717-319-2100

[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info. I don’t want to store the car elsewhere. I would probably sell the car.

·
Vendor
1,830 Posts
Hello
It was nice talking to you today. Our Kevlar clutches with our CEM V.2 (Clutch Engagement Mechanism Version 2) will get rid of 70-80% of your problem. Our HT300 has quicker engagement and that should help with your situation. The quicker it engages, the quicker it moves and consequently you have less slipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts