Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the problems of the pre skirt Countachs is the sills and getting stone chips. Has anyone any fool proof method of preventing them afte I have the sills re sprayed.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hi Terry,

there is no paint strong enough to prevent rock chips, that I'm aware of. The technique employed by Porsche and others is the use of a Clear Plastic Film added to the vunerable spots. This Clear Plastic Film is made by 3M and was originally known as Leading Edge Tape that was developed for Helicopter Rotors.

I don't know of any makers of Countach Kits, but you may have a local supplier that can provide you with a product that you can size to fit!

·
Registered
28 Posts
you're welcome.

No reports on yellowing yet, the QV that I put this kit on belongs to someone else now....but that was a white car and showed the slightest tint. There was some protective film installed by the factory on the leading edge of the rear wheel flairs that had yellowed quite a bit when I got the car.

I WILL be putting this 3M kit on my new white Countach SV when I FINALLY get it here next month. The rocks on the roads here in Calgary are just brutal until mid June.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Terry,

look around the web a little more. I am at work and do not have my links here, but there are three or four places that offer CT kits. Almost all of them
are the same, but some include more pieces than the others. The other option is to have rock guard pieces put on under the paint. They are spongey pieces that look a little bumpy when painted. The Jalpa had them on the front of the rear fenders. When you pushed on them with your hand they give a little. A different way to protect, but it does require new paint.

David

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I have bought a set at USD 375 from the site metioned, I will wait till I get it before I get the re spray done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One other quick thing- be prepared for the paint to come off with this treatment if you ever decide to remove it. A lot of detail and paint shops will try to tell you otherwise, but it's just not possible to get off without SOME damage. Heat guns help, but who cares? A little damage is too much.

If you plan on ever selling your car, also be advised that most dealers will scream to the moon over the presence of 3M rock guards on a car. You might want to consider just getting a bra made for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
phantom309 said:
One other quick thing- be prepared for the paint to come off with this treatment if you ever decide to remove it. A lot of detail and paint shops will try to tell you otherwise, but it's just not possible to get off without SOME damage. Heat guns help, but who cares? A little damage is too much.

If you plan on ever selling your car, also be advised that most dealers will scream to the moon over the presence of 3M rock guards on a car. You might want to consider just getting a bra made for it.
Unless you bought some bad quality 3m protection, its not supposed to get the paint off at all...I dunno where you heard this from but they definetely need to change the kind of clear bra they use!

-Seb

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I know it's not supposed to, but it DOES. I have seen it many, many times in our local car club. It's not just the product's fault, there is no way to predict the quality and method of painting on re-sprayed cars. New cars with original, factory paint tolerate removal just fine. FEW of our exotics, with any mileage at all, have the original skin on them.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
phantom309 said:
Yeah, I know it's not supposed to, but it DOES. I have seen it many, many times in our local car club. It's not just the product's fault, there is no way to predict the quality and method of painting on re-sprayed cars. New cars with original, factory paint tolerate removal just fine. FEW of our exotics, with any mileage at all, have the original skin on them.
My front bumper has been resprayed and has had the 3m film applied and subsequently removed and all was ok. Part of the trick is that after a respray is when you want the film put on but you HAVE to let the paint fully cure first thus patience is involved.... :D

-mick

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bra's (for cars) are BAD.................no matter how tight they are, they move around a little or buffet from the wind and chafe the paint causing wear marks. Plus they can hold and collect moisture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.