Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this website for THE ULTIMATE RALLY, to be held in Summer of 2006. A 2 MILLION DOLLAR US 1st place prize. Looks like Players run, however I think it's taking over.

EARLY enrty fee by the end of the year is 12,500K.

Feed back, what do you know? Is this leget ect...... :confused:

RoyToy2003 Seattle, WA

·
Registered
63 Posts
It sounds very interesting but where is the credibility of the organisers? + Who knows what will happen by summer 2006? Its organize by Kimble.org and i remember reading in the economist or somewhere that the guy was all a joke, everything was fake and made up....

One thing to think about: in the terms and conditions you can read the following:
1)The participants agree to accept the organizer's decisions in any case and will not appeal against them.
2)The organizer also reserves the right to cancel any event at any time for any reason. No refunds will be made in this case.

This basically means that after you have paid part of, or even the whole event, can be cancelled.....no refunds..... :eek:

The prices are tasty but there is no credibility....I'd rather spend the money on the gumball rally...or, maybe better, in St.Tropez this summer!!! :D

Anyways what do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Saw That Also And Was Not Comfortable With The Contract Frase
Of "no Refunds", No Matter What.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Roll call for the scam !

If anyone happens to hear of or know anyone who is gulliable to fall for this kind of scam and they actually own a Lambo then I motion that we create our own L-T scam where they lend us their ride for safe keeping at the local track. ahhh, just to shake out the carbon deposits.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've posted about Kims Ultimate Rally before and had a little run in with the man himself on another forum. I've copied the relevent sections below to give you a feel for the man your dealing with:

A little more background info on the organiser:

===============================================
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/30/kimble_rally/

Kimble plans 'Ultimate Rally'
By John Leyden

Published Thursday 30th September 2004 08:54 GMT
Wannabe elite hacker-turned-convicted fraudster Kim 'Kimble' Schmitz has reinvented himself as the next Bernie Eccleston.

His front company, Kimvestor, is planning to organise the "Ultimate Rally". The seven day race over 3,000 miles (route unspecified) is scheduled to take place sometime in 2006 and offer a prize of $2m. It promises participants "one of your top ten lifetime experiences". But before would-be Petter Solbergs (reigning World Rally Champion) sign up it's worth reviewing Kimble's colourful history of business ventures.

Kimble/Schmitz shot to prominence in Germany in the late 1990s by presenting himself as an elite hacker. He spun a myth of his supposed pre-eminence in the computer underworld, using a little fact interlaced with a lot of juicy bits taken from media accounts and movies. An article mirrored by Attrition article exposes Kimble's self aggrandising personal mythology, recycled through numerous media interviews, of breaking into the systems of CitiBank, Nasa and the Pentagon as a sham.

After being convicted of relatively minor telecoms fraud offences in 1998 - and sentenced to two years on probation - Schmitz re-emerged as a security advisor and venture capitalist. His near brush with prison had given Schmitz an unquenchable thirst for publicity.

Readers may recall Schmitz offered a $10m reward for information leading to the capture of Osama bin Laden. Keeping his hand in and demonstrating the hacking skill with which he'd become legendary, Kimble founded hacker crew called YIHAT (Young Intelligent Hackers Against Terrorism), which claimed to have penetrated Osama bin Laden's bank accounts and to be close to tracking him down. These claims were never substantiated, but YIHAT's website was hacked by UK hacker Fluffi Bunny, to the amusement of much of the security community.

Around this time, Schmitz claimed his net worth was over $200m. Whatever the truth of these claims, he pursued a lifestyle of decadence and indulgence featuring fast cars, yachts, exotic trips and Playboy models until hdealings caught up with him.

In 2001 Schmitz offered to rescue online retailer Letsbuyit.com from collapse. This rescue mission was subsequently exposed as a sham. In May 2002, after being extradited from Thailand to Germany, he was convicted of stock price manipulation designed to net him €1.2m ($1.5m) and given a 20-month suspended prison sentence. Schmitz was also fined €100,000 by a Munich court after pleading guilty to insider trading of Letsbuyit.com shares.

Schmitz then moved to Hong Kong, where he set-up a hedge fund -cum -"Money Making Machine" called Trendax. Trendax says it uses artificial intelligence technology which automatically "selects the optimal combination of trading strategies for current market conditions". The bankruptcy last year of parent company Kimvestor left Trendax in limbo and must surely raise questions about the viability of the "Ultimate Rally". And that's just the beginning of Schmitz's problems. He faces Schmitz charges of embezzlement over a "loan" of €280,000, paid by his company Monkey to his venture fund Kimvestor. ®

My advice would be the same as it was when i posted all this back in September.

Id look at the more established events that have actually managed to get a rally of the ground and not just build a nice web site, like The Bull Run (2nd Year), Players Run (2nd Year) or the Gumball Rally (7th year)

http://www.bullrun.com
http://www.playersrun.com
http://www.gumball3000.com

I think the most expensive is around USD $18K, OK so you don't win any prize money, but the experience is what its all about. The more experience the organisers have the better the chances are of you having a great time.

Finally here's a picture of the man himself (no other comments needed)

·
Registered
959 Posts
jamesketchell said:
I've posted about Kims Ultimate Rally before and had a little run in with the man himself on another forum. I've copied the relevent sections below to give you a feel for the man your dealing with:

A little more background info on the organiser:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/30/kimble_rally/

Kimble plans 'Ultimate Rally'
By John Leyden

Published Thursday 30th September 2004 08:54 GMT
Wannabe elite hacker-turned-convicted fraudster Kim 'Kimble' Schmitz has reinvented himself as the next Bernie Eccleston.

His front company, Kimvestor, is planning to organise the "Ultimate Rally". The seven day race over 3,000 miles (route unspecified) is scheduled to take place sometime in 2006 and offer a prize of $2m. It promises participants "one of your top ten lifetime experiences". But before would-be Petter Solbergs (reigning World Rally Champion) sign up it's worth reviewing Kimble's colourful history of business ventures.

Kimble/Schmitz shot to prominence in Germany in the late 1990s by presenting himself as an elite hacker. He spun a myth of his supposed pre-eminence in the computer underworld, using a little fact interlaced with a lot of juicy bits taken from media accounts and movies. An article mirrored by Attrition article exposes Kimble's self aggrandising personal mythology, recycled through numerous media interviews, of breaking into the systems of CitiBank, Nasa and the Pentagon as a sham.

After being convicted of relatively minor telecoms fraud offences in 1998 - and sentenced to two years on probation - Schmitz re-emerged as a security advisor and venture capitalist. His near brush with prison had given Schmitz an unquenchable thirst for publicity.

Readers may recall Schmitz offered a $10m reward for information leading to the capture of Osama bin Laden. Keeping his hand in and demonstrating the hacking skill with which he'd become legendary, Kimble founded hacker crew called YIHAT (Young Intelligent Hackers Against Terrorism), which claimed to have penetrated Osama bin Laden's bank accounts and to be close to tracking him down. These claims were never substantiated, but YIHAT's website was hacked by UK hacker Fluffi Bunny, to the amusement of much of the security community.

Around this time, Schmitz claimed his net worth was over $200m. Whatever the truth of these claims, he pursued a lifestyle of decadence and indulgence featuring fast cars, yachts, exotic trips and Playboy models until hdealings caught up with him.

In 2001 Schmitz offered to rescue online retailer Letsbuyit.com from collapse. This rescue mission was subsequently exposed as a sham. In May 2002, after being extradited from Thailand to Germany, he was convicted of stock price manipulation designed to net him €1.2m ($1.5m) and given a 20-month suspended prison sentence. Schmitz was also fined €100,000 by a Munich court after pleading guilty to insider trading of Letsbuyit.com shares.

Schmitz then moved to Hong Kong, where he set-up a hedge fund -cum -"Money Making Machine" called Trendax. Trendax says it uses artificial intelligence technology which automatically "selects the optimal combination of trading strategies for current market conditions". The bankruptcy last year of parent company Kimvestor left Trendax in limbo and must surely raise questions about the viability of the "Ultimate Rally". And that's just the beginning of Schmitz's problems. He faces Schmitz charges of embezzlement over a "loan" of €280,000, paid by his company Monkey to his venture fund Kimvestor. ®

My advice would be the same as it was when i posted all this back in September.

Id look at the more established events that have actually managed to get a rally of the ground and not just build a nice web site, like The Bull Run (2nd Year), Players Run (2nd Year) or the Gumball Rally (7th year)

http://www.bullrun.com
http://www.playersrun.com
http://www.gumball3000.com

I think the most expensive is around USD $18K, OK so you don't win any prize money, but the experience is what its all about. The more experience the organisers have the better the chances are of you having a great time.

Finally here's a picture of the man himself (no other comments needed)

The only thing im still wondering is how did he get so wealthy in the first place?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Taoist said:
I don't think he was spending his own wealth. :rolleyes:
Just my opinion, but id guess hes not as personally wealthy as he appears. Most likely he has developed a definite skill in raising capital. The parties and races he takes part in are all part of maintaining a high profile among a certain wealthy group of individuals. So in effect they are his business overhead.

Quote taken from CNN:

"Market watchers said his self-proclaimed investment activities don't amount to much. All that I've heard is that he's a total windbag," said analyst Michael Schafer, who follows the German high-tech venture capital market for UBS Warburg LLC. Does Schmitz have any holdings of note? "Not that I know of," said Schafer."

and -

"Others who knew Schmitz from the hacker scene said even there he was never what he claimed, and that his alleged millions are in fact massive debt. "In my opinion, he's a notorious liar," said Jens Ohlig, spokesman for the hackers' group Chaos Computer Club. "He was once a small light in the hacker scene ... later he told all kinds of lies about hacking credit card servers, the German chancellor's office, which isn't possible, and that he hacked (Citigroup Inc. subsidiary) Citibank to give millions to (environmental group) Greenpeace, which Greenpeace itself denied. This person told all kinds of stories."

Full article can be found here: http://edition.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/01/15/hacker.flee.idg/index.html

·
Registered
959 Posts
I personally dont think its a scam. As you said before, he relies on his fame and connections for wealth, and that would all be ruined if he scammed everybody. I watched a couple of his videos and he seems to enjoy those kinds of races, and I think this is what is his motivation. Although I dont like the guy personally from i have seen is that he loves to be in charge and run things his way, i think thats why he created his own rally. But then again i could be completely wrong :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
DaLamboMan said:
I personally dont think its a scam. As you said before, he relies on his fame and connections for wealth, and that would all be ruined if he scammed everybody. I watched a couple of his videos and he seems to enjoy those kinds of races, and I think this is what is his motivation. Although I dont like the guy personally from that i He loves to be in charge and run things his way, i think thats why he created his own rally. But then again i could be completely wrong :D

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!

IT IS A SCAM!!!!!!!

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!
Errrm not sure what you mean by the last post. But if you think he would be ruined if he scammed "everbody" why didn't that stop him serving time on remand while awaiting trial a couple of years ago? He's already been charged and sentenced for scamming far more people out of far more money in the past. Leopards and spots come to mind......

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think everybody is entitled to their opinion here, and I dont think changing and making fun of my post is the right way to go about it ltadmin...
I wouldnt join the rally, even if i had the right car and financial means to do so because i too think its too risky, but again, i doubt its a scam. I dont think he will risk going to jail again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
DaLamboMan said:
I think everybody is entitled to their opinion here, and I dont think changing and making fun of my post is the right way to go about it ltadmin...
I wouldnt join the rally, even if i had the right car and financial means to do so because i too think its too risky, but again, i doubt its a scam. I dont think he will risk going to jail again.
Well the truth is hes actually still wanted in Germany according to several news agencies. Something to do with fraud/embezzlement. So i don't think jail is really that big an issue to him, especially as he now lives on Chinese soil...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts