Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would update you guys on the Jalpa's progress. I took both turbos out and rebuilt them and sent them out for balancing. The fire suppression system is installed, the electronic boost controller is installed and I rebuilt the alternator. I have also been fabricating some parts and I need some opinions. I just made some fiberglas covers to hide wiring as seen in the pictures (not finished still in the raw form.) Also, I want to get more air into the engine compartment for cooling and "fresh" cold air for the turbos. So I made a rear deck lid similar to the SV. I'll get better pictures soon. It is fabricated in steel but I am going to make a mold and reproduce it in fiberglas or carbon fiber. I'll keep you posted. Please let me know what you think. The deck lid will be removable.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Well, it's hard to get "a real feel" for the look, but from what I can tell from the pics it looks WAY COOL!!!!

If you're worried about detonation you might want to look into Water Injection if you don't have room for InterCoolers!!!

Keep Up the Good Work...it's Awesome!!!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JR. Do you have any info on water injection? I'll try and get some better photos once the engine is back together.

·
Registered
568 Posts
David,

Looks Great! I love the SV decklid.

When you rebuilt the alternator how many amps is it now. I have a 66, but wanted to put a 105 AMP in. My restoration shop said there is no room and they cannot seem to find one that will fit or work.

Cannot wait until it is finished.
David

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
rovingtravler said:
David,

Looks Great! I love the SV decklid.

When you rebuilt the the alt how many amps is it now. I have a 66, but wanted to put a 105 AMP in. My restoration shop said there is no room and they cannot seem to find one that will fit or work.

Cannot wait until it is finished.
David
David I ran into the same thing. I wanted a 105 but couldn't get one. I bought a 65 amp and switched the the face plates. It was not as easy as I thought it would be. It is a tight fit. It goes in like a puzzle piece.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I got the turbos back. Long story but they will be back in soon. I also milled the tops of the carb boxes. I hope to get everything wrapped up in the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
got the turbos back. Long story but they will be back in soon. I also milled the tops of the carb boxes. I hope to get everything wrapped up in the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted.
Looks Sweet & I know it ain't Cheap!!!

Do you think you will make the Players Run in the Jalpa??? or you alternative???

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish I could make the Players Run this year but there is no way. I am probably going to do the Windy City Poker Run in August. I am also going to go to the Autobahn Country Club in June for the Lamborghini Appreciation Day. I'll be sure to get a bunch of pictures and try not to tear the car up too much. :D I have spent too much this year to swing the Players Run. Roy is going to have to take up my slack and make a scene for me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Twin Turbo Jalpa

David,

I remember this car from ebay....I thought the mechanics were still under warrenty from the guys who did the conversion. I'm surprised you're having to do so much work to get it on the road. I came close to buying this car but the twin turbos scared me off. I remember you told me you ended up in a field by your home because of the conditions of the brakes. I purchased the old exhaust system from your car from the guys who did the conversion on you car originally......they seemed like ok guys...any thoughts.

Frank

·
Registered
173 Posts
can i see some better pics of your lid? with a better perspective of the vehicle.

i'm trying to figger out how to setup my X1/9, relatively similar in shape there, i just don't have any room for induction and need to fabricate some engine lid stuff, and would like some nice airflow if i can get it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
frank said:
David,

I remember this car from ebay....I thought the mechanics were still under warrenty from the guys who did the conversion. I'm surprised you're having to do so much work to get it on the road. I came close to buying this car but the twin turbos scared me off. I remember you told me you ended up in a field by your home because of the conditions of the brakes. I purchased the old exhaust system from your car from the guys who did the conversion on you car originally......they seemed like ok guys...any thoughts.

Frank
The engine is running great...now. When I bought it it ran okay. I needed to change the plugs and they never locked down the distributor?!?!? The alternator was weak. The carbs were loose. The brake lines were corroded and the wiring was a mess!!! They had things wired directly to the battery so the wires melted. And they had HOT wires bolted to the frame. They bent the prongs on the relay switches to fit instead of buying the right ones. And the turbos were completely trashed. There was metal inside them that scored the bearing journals so bad they had to be replaced. I am just very picky and want to make sure that everything is as good as it can be. I don't think there was any type of warranty but even it there was I don't trust anyone. Especially if you saw some of the stuff that they did?1?!?! :eek: Oh well. As for the decklid I'll get better pictures in the next couple weeks. I need to get it out of the garage to get better angles for you.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I replaced all of the oil lines with braided steel hoses. I painted the engine compartment. Finished the fire Suppression system and replaced the line for the slave cylinder. The Line is braided steel and was hitting the starter and there was numerous holes maded from the arc. I covered the new line with vaccuum hose to prevent history from repeating. I finally got everything back together and got it out of the garage today!! :D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
ongratulations detour ,
the car loocks good in the sun
have you thought of paint it all black, i think it will be so bad :cool: :wave:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was actually thinking of painting it the new pearl yellow. I think I will poll everyones opinion. I'll probably have it done over the winter. I need to enjoy it for a little bit!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts