Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
met up with my friend joe today, most people know him as the owner of the twin supercharged lamborghini...well tonight we decided to go out for a cruise...we went up on 9A, turned around and went back...on the way home we both started smelling a burning scent...he stated it might be his clutch.the car then began to smoke badly...we pulled to the side, opened the engine compartment and within seconds the hole motor bursted into flames...we ran as quickly as possible, while joe was trying everything in his power to out out the flames, i felt so bad, he was screaming "hurry do something!!!" there was nothing we could do..as the flames got worse i pulled him by his shirt to let the car go, that it could explde any second...luckily the fire dep. came in time and put out the fire...the aftermath was not pretty...the car is completly totaled, the engine is gone, the roof gone, seats, interior, wheels, nothing on the car is saveable....i have all of this captured on film...but i have no idea how to get it on the computer, its a very old crappy camera..he has insurance so the car can be replaced..it was very sentamental to him tho...the car being 1 of 12 ever made...i just thank god that we were not injured....ive onestly never been that scared before....we could have very well died..joe kept insisting that we just drive home...and i told him his car was smoking very bad and we should pull over and check it out..im glad we did..the car could have busted into flames while driving..im so upset, i wish i could have done something...he was so upset about it...he kept saying, im glad we are not hurt..and the car can be replaced...but it was #8 out of 12 specail edition supercharged lambos ever made...that type of car can never be replaced...thank god for insurance...he will be back in no time driving something bigger and better....
HERE ARE SOME BEOFRE PICS....

leo

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very Sad Story..

I always carry a fire extenguisher....In fact I pulled the tool kit and tire inflator (keep in house for car shows) and used the space and belts for 2 fire extenguishers. From the sound of what happened here, I doubt they would have helped or nothing short of an automatic halon system.

BTW - Please post the cause when it is know... Leaking fuel line, injector on manifold or what? Perhaps by knowing what caused the fire, we can prevent others from going through the same....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad you guys are ok. Let us know if you ever find out the cause of the fire - I'd hate for anyone else to learn that kind of thing the hard way.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I bought the Fire Charger kit for that very reason. It was only $350.00 and very easy to install. Please guys look into this, it is very cheap insurance. If there is smoke you just pull the T-handle and it will fill the engine compartment with foam. I hate to see this happen. I am glad that you guys are okay!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Joe is a very nice guy and thats too bad about the car. I know he got the car with the s/c from the last owener.
Its very hard to get these cars to work properly with the mods.

Glad to hear you guys are okay and give joe our best

·
Registered
160 Posts
Keep the faith. Life is more precious then any car.
Now he gets the excitement of starting over with whatever he wants.

·
Registered
41 Posts
do you have a link or something so I can get one? Thanks in advance, no one can ever be too safe!!! :eek:

detour_racing said:
I bought the Fire Charger kit for that very reason. It was only $350.00 and very easy to install. Please guys look into this, it is very cheap insurance. If there is smoke you just pull the T-handle and it will fill the engine compartment with foam. I hate to see this happen. I am glad that you guys are okay!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Leo -

It was posted on another site that the cause was an oil leak on manifolds...
Can you shed any light if this was the case?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car.

David.. Good idea. I just got one.!

G

·
peter_k said:
Keep the faith. Life is more precious then any car.
Now he gets the excitement of starting over with whatever he wants.
ditto. fwiw, when I judged at the concorso last year the number 1 item listed is non-stock: fire extinguisher. I've always carried one, and I make sure it's in the car every time I drive, but I keep a very close eye on what's going on in the engine compartment and fortunately have never needed it.

best regards,

Fred

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks detour racing, I am going to install one ASAP. I love the thought of a preinstalled fire supression system. It reduces the chances of one being burnt by the fire if all you have to do is pull a cord. I am very sorry to hear about this Lambo being destroyed. I have seen many C/Ts burnt over the years by pinhole leaks in the oil lines spraying onto the exhaust. All of them had no extinguishers. Amazing. Most were beyond repair.

detour_racing said:
I bought my system from the link below. Everything went smoothly.

http://www.trackhaus.com/product-exec/product_id/71

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we suspect to beilve that an oil line did break...and ignited on the exhaust manifold..the only other thing he said it might have been was an electrical fire..the car was melter so bad, there was no way to recognize anything...i will have the pics posted soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts