Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the car new a month ago.
thought i would put it on the charger when i got it home cause i figured the battery should be fully charged after the extended "voyage "
it showed a half charge when i pluged it in

since then no matter how long or short the drive when i plug it in it still shows a half charge on the charger led .
no issues with the car
is this normal is the charger just inaccurate
thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,872 Posts
I put mine on the trickle charger after every drive. It usually takes 3 to 4 hours to charge back up. That’s completely normal, for mine.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Does your charger show it fully charged after being hooked up for a while?

Seems like a charger sensor issue to me. I would recommend a cheap battery tester to compare. I bet you could find one for $10 or less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks
yes after a few hours
why would it even discharge from a full charge , thats what im wondering

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I agree that it is odd. If the car was several years old, I would guess it was a bad battery or maybe a bad alternator. Since everything is new, I would start with the charger if it was me.

I guess the car could have sat for a while and gone flat before it sold. Sometimes running a battery flat can cause it to have charging issues. If the charger ends up okay, I would look at the battery next. Most shops can hook it up and tell pretty quickly if there is an issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was a new build to me so it only sat from production to delevery to me ,,,,

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Mine is new as well and with all my previous ones this is normal. After I drive for any length of time and put it back on the charger it shows about 1/2 charge, then in about 3 hours it is topped off once again. It has done with my other Huracans as well and when I take my car in for service they always test the battery and it is always in perfect condition. I don't think you need to worry.

Reactions: Ohlgren

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You may need a new tender. I drive my H regularly and haven't used the tender in months but when I do it goes to green/fully charged pretty fast within an hour.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,576 Posts
@DDB, like Russ stated, mine also takes a couple of hours as well but next drive I will give a more precise timeline........I love little quantitate experiments like this. :giggle: Though, even though it was on a tender before the drive and fully charged after the drive it may show only half charge +/- when reconnected then in a couple of hours it's back to a full charge.

I also leave my car on the tender whenever it's not in use but I do drive my car quite a bit............racking up those miles. ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Totally normal. When you drive around the alternator is providing a lot of current to run the vehicle electronics and keep the battery charged. It doesn't take much after shutting the vehicle off to get the battery to a point of slightly less than 100% capacity. Let's say you open the door (interior lights and instrument cluster would be illuminated as well as a few vehicle modules controlling those systems being powered), get out and lock the car. Now the battery is at 99.5% (just example) capacity. To your vehicle, that's not a big deal, to a trickle/float charger it is a big deal though. See, a trickle charger does not do what your alternator does. It is going to try to provide current to the battery at a constant voltage until very nearly NO current can be provided to the battery anymore (100% capacity). That threshold may be a just few milliamps depending on the trickle charger, so although the battery may actually be very near 100% capacity, the trickle charger has a lot of work to do and may estimate it will take a few hours to get to 100% charge again. In the lead acid battery charge curve below, your battery after driving the car around is right at the threshold between stage 1 and stage 2, the trickle charger showing 100% charge is stage 3.

·
Premium Member
6,576 Posts
@EvanK, I appreciate the education. Your explanation provides me with a better understanding of how a trickle charger works. Then there was light..............💡

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is normal for me as well. I have a brand new battery in my Gallardo and after any drive it usually shows a half charge on the trickle charger. Then after a while goes to green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Normal for me. An hour sounds about right, but my aspergers isn't quite so bad that I have to sit there and watch it.... yet.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Evan. It explains a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,576 Posts
Normal for me. An hour sounds about right, but my aspergers isn't quite so bad that I have to sit there and watch it.... yet.
Well that's understandable you have a lot on your mind with your Lambo being medically quarantined and all but hopefully, it will emerge from the bubble and be right as rain. BTW, what are the visiting hours just in case I want to swing by and wish it well? :giggle:

·
Premium Member
6,576 Posts
I have a question regarding the battery tenders. I have a Porsche battery tender with the lighter attachment at the end that I would like to repurpose is there an accessory that I could use to convert that to the battery clips? Note: the wire with the lighter attachment is one continuous cord that attaches to tender itself, that is, it cannot be removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a question regarding the battery tenders. I have a Porsche battery tender with the lighter attachment at the end that I would like to repurpose is there an accessory that I could use to convert that to the battery clips? Note: the wire with the lighter attachment is one continuous cord that attaches to tender itself, that is, it cannot be removed.
Something like this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts