Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done every single mod there is for my Super Trofeo Stradale, suspension wise I have done spherical bushings, tie rods, end links and for aero, I'm on the Super Trofeo Race Car aero parts from the factory. For the past 5 years I have been trying to improve my LP in anyway possible but the one thing I never considered replacing was the shocks.

I have been on the factory shocks with Swift springs and I always thought it was enough. Scott from Ahlman Performance came up with a custom package for my car using Öhlins shocks and well, I decided to make a proper video with him as his knowledge and understanding of the LP and R8 chassis was simply astonishing. He is also the man responsible for the original 2006 Ford GT suspension design as well as the M2K world record car few years later so to me, he was a chassis god.

The results were simply mind blowing, all these years everything I did simply made a little difference here and there, nothing that made me "Wow I'm actually driving a new car", I think the video speaks for itself! Scott is also a vendor here now so if you are ready to transform your car, he is the man to talk to!

Take a look...

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's nothing like a set of quality coilovers.

What are you using for spherical bushings? The GMG's? Did you notice much of a difference with those?

23 Posts
I’m assuming you lose the front lift with this conversion?
Yes, for this build. SPC's set up did not have the lift system even though his splitter was at 3.5" from ground with his full Super Trofeo aero kit and about 12 mm of suspension lowering. Our Ohlins TTX Stage II system for the LP does not have the front lift either.

We are looking at two different options to allow the front end lift for the Gallardo LP's and Huracans.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's nothing like a set of quality coilovers.

What are you using for spherical bushings? The GMG's? Did you notice much of a difference with those?
No. The GMG's do not fit. The R8 and LP have the same control arm casting number but the openings for the bushings are not the same. I had them custom made. There was certainly less deflection but depending on where you live and the road conditions, there will be a lot more NVH.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m assuming you lose the front lift with this conversion?
Yes but keep in mind the ride height is easily adjustable, I just set mine based on the places I regularly drive to and from. I also removed the front lift system which saved me some weight and also removed the power steering system completely. The manual steering in combination with the Öhlins shocks is something truly special now!

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
256 Posts
Scott is the man. Chassis engineer extraordinaire. He personally installed my Ford GT Öhlins set at Spring Mountain back in 2014.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
91 Posts
No. The GMG's do not fit. The R8 and LP have the same control arm casting number but the openings for the bushings are not the same. I had them custom made. There was certainly less deflection but depending on where you live and the road conditions, there will be a lot more NVH.
I also removed the front lift system which saved me some weight and also removed the power steering system completely. The manual steering in combination with the Öhlins shocks is something truly special now!

Tell me more about both of these. The lack of steering feedback in this car compared to my previous Porsches has been a real let down for me.

I have already done JRZ RS Pro 2 coilovers. Mine were spec'd by a Super Trofeo race team. Still, not much feedback even though handling is incredible now. My next plan was those GMG bushings but it's good to know they won't fit the G's control arms. Who made yours? Are they willing to make more? How much did they charge you?

When you removed the power steering was it just a matter of getting a shorter belt or did you put an idler pulley in its place?

Were you looking for more steering feedback with these mods? Did you get what you were looking for, and if so what had a greater effect?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes but keep in mind the ride height is easily adjustable, I just set mine based on the places I regularly drive to and from. I also removed the front lift system which saved me some weight and also removed the power steering system completely. The manual steering in combination with the Öhlins shocks is something truly special now!
So you basically have a Lotus with a bigger engine now. 🤣

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, for this build. SPC's set up did not have the lift system even though his splitter was at 3.5" from ground with his full Super Trofeo aero kit and about 12 mm of suspension lowering. Our Ohlins TTX Stage II system for the LP does not have the front lift either.

We are looking at two different options to allow the front end lift for the Gallardo LP's and Huracans.
So there is an option with the lift or it needs to be cancelled...?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scott is the man. Chassis engineer extraordinaire. He personally installed my Ford GT Öhlins set at Spring Mountain back in 2014. View attachment 294752
Fully agree! I learned so much from him in 48 hours!

Tell me more about both of these. The lack of steering feedback in this car compared to my previous Porsches has been a real let down for me.

I have already done JRZ RS Pro 2 coilovers. Mine were spec'd by a Super Trofeo race team. Still, not much feedback even though handling is incredible now. My next plan was those GMG bushings but it's good to know they won't fit the G's control arms. Who made yours? Are they willing to make more? How much did they charge you?

When you removed the power steering was it just a matter of getting a shorter belt or did you put an idler pulley in its place?

Were you looking for more steering feedback with these mods? Did you get what you were looking for, and if so what had a greater effect?
I would have to go back to see all the expenses but it was at least 6k USD for the bushings and installation. Like I said initially, the Öhlins was the mod for me that transformed the steering for me in terms of confidence and feedback. There was no longer any guessing on the limits, the car was talking to me. Before you go spending a lot of money chasing the 1-3% like I did, I recommend you speak to Scott first about your shocks and springs.

Regarding the manual steering, we actually went full on and fully removed the whole system and then we used the Reiter Engineering method and their part to seal the opening. We also did it properly, instead of simply looping the rack which would blow the seals, We came up with this solution with Matt at Speed One Motorsports in California to use the original power steering reservoir in the back, moved it to the front, made custom hoses and connected it to the reservoir in and out so the fluid can circulate. This is the only proper way to do it.

Keep in mind, before Scott installed the Öhlins setup I never thought about manual steering, the deadzone on the stock shocks, the lack of steering feedback, the lack of confidence....it just didn't make sense. It was only after the install that I came up with the idea.

Brown Shoe Luggage and bags Eyewear Sleeve

Regarding your JRZ setup. To be honest, there are so many factors involved, Scott is the man to answer all your concerns but he calculates the setup for his clients based on the vehicles weight with the driver, unsprung mass like if you have CCB brakes or not, he takes a look at what tires you use, the type of roads you drive on regularly, if you do track events regularly and etc. Based on those things he would come up with which shocks he would use, spring rates, ride height, compression and rebound. He would then provide you with your adjustments for your compression and rebound as well after his initial setup which is easily adjustable on the Öhlins shocks, so you could easily adjust the compression and rebound for your track days or let's say a nice canyon run. You also have to keep in mind the Öhlins shocks have no competition in terms of damping performance.

We also did many engine mods on the car like intake flap delete inspired by the R8 GT3 cars, charcoal filter delete, secondary air pump delete, secondary vacuum delete, canister delete and about 2 months of ECU tuning to get those mods to shine.

Some pics comparing the Öhlins to the stock dampers with Swift lowering springs, big weight difference as well which as Scott explains in the video, it is a lot as half of that weight is unsprung.

Automotive lighting Coil spring Font Auto part Gas

Circuit component Coil Automotive lighting Coil spring Font

So you basically have a Lotus with a bigger engine now. 🤣
Far from it! My AC works!

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design

Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Car

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Ya emailed Scott the other night and got a super quick response....Can't wait for him to figure out the Lift situation on these cars. Something tells me it wont be long....Then im all in😎😎😎

23 Posts
Glad to look at this front lift need for you guys. Makes sense. One lift option (and common) looks like it will require the piggy back version of the TTX like we did for SPC above as it gives us more room to fit it with the limited front travel of the Gallardo (and Gen 1 R8). Vahid had to cut his inner fender liners a little for clearance to the piggyback reservoir. The inner liners are about ~$180 for the Gen1 R8's - not sure for your Gallardos. Would this inner fender liner modification be a concern for you guys if it was the best option (function and reliability) for front lift with our Öhlins TTX setup?

Not sure if Vahid has a picture of this installed with the inner fender liner modification for the piggyback.

Our Öhlins TTX Ahlman Performance Stage II setup (and Öhlins Advanced Trackday coilovers) for the Gallardos is an ILX (inline reservoir) that bolts right in (pictured below) and doesn't require any modification to the car (except the loss of front lift). But doesn't have enough length for great performance as well as the main lift system that has been used by many over the years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad to look at this front lift need for you guys. Makes sense. One lift option (and common) looks like it will require the piggy back version of the TTX like we did for SPC above as it gives us more room to fit it with the limited front travel of the Gallardo (and Gen 1 R8). Vahid had to cut his inner fender liners a little for clearance to the piggyback reservoir. The inner liners are about ~$180 for the Gen1 R8's - not sure for your Gallardos. Would this inner fender liner modification be a concern for you guys if it was the best option (function and reliability) for front lift with our Öhlins TTX setup?

Not sure if Vahid has a picture of this installed with the inner fender liner modification for the piggyback.

Our Öhlins TTX Ahlman Performance Stage II setup (and Öhlins Advanced Trackday coilovers) for the Gallardos is an ILX (inline reservoir) that bolts right in (pictured below) and doesn't require any modification to the car (except the loss of front lift). But doesn't have enough length for great performance as well as the main lift system that has been used by many over the years.

View attachment 294855 View attachment 294856
The lift is usefull for speed bumps or if you want to enter basement garages with high slope as an example.

I would be very interested if by adding the lift you do not compromise performance. If you tell me no matter how i install the lift, the no lift version will perform better then i would stick to the no lift and i would chose the basements to enter etc...

23 Posts
The lift is usefull for speed bumps or if you want to enter basement garages with high slope as an example.

I would be very interested if by adding the lift you do not compromise performance. If you tell me no matter how i install the lift, the no lift version will perform better then i would stick to the no lift and i would chose the basements to enter etc...
I understand. I run at a high angle at all driveways with the R8 lowered 10 mm with this setup without issue. Vahid's splitter and bottom is down 38 mm from stock with the Super Trofeo aero package.

Adding the lift kit surely adds a lot of weight, complexity and cost ($4000 to $6000 more at least). Definitely a compromise for pure vehicle dynamic performance and reliability. And the main lift system used by many would not work with this Öhlins TTX Stage II setup as pictures above and would require the piggy back option with inner wheel liner modification. Another lift option is possible with this setup, but workload and slow response from the manufacturer will add time to potential integration of this option.

It seems like driving around a bit without using your lift system to gauge its need for you is a good idea. Glad to answer questions.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I installed an aftermarket front lift in my '04, I used a shorter spring with less coils so it does not bind. I still get full suspension travel. for a road car it does not seem to effect suspension performance much, if at all.
However on a race car you'd assume there might be a slight difference due to weight and possibly spring response due to the number of coils.

23 Posts
I installed an aftermarket front lift in my '04, I used a shorter spring with less coils so it does not bind. I still get full suspension travel. for a road car it does not seem to effect suspension performance much, if at all.
However on a race car you'd assume there might be a slight difference due to weight and possibly spring response due to the number of coils.
On your stock Lamborghini coilover?
Yes weight is not so important for the street.

23 Posts
If this change was on the stock Gallardo set up then available travel should be reduced if it was a system like the KW HLS that takes up 60 mm of height. Stock springs don't have much more travel available than the shock itself. So a shorter spring has less travel often in line with the amount of height reduction for the same rate. The iLift system only takes up 15 mm of height and potentially not even that much so full travel can much more easily be maintained. (This iLift is the system we are looking at implementing for the LP's since front travel is so low begin with on these.) I would have to see your setup to understand if you were really able to maintain full travel. Regardless, if you are happy with your solution and don't notice running out of travel on big bumps on the street then that is great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts