Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have just recently serviced my Gallardo Spyder from 2008, PreLP. I had earlier problems with the clutch (was worn 98% and the gears sometimes wouldn't engage properly) so I replaced the clutch, throwout bearing, wear sensor, flushed the e-gear box, and changed the spark plugs. I am not sure what's happening here, but the following issue is happening intermittently - maybe once every 20 stops at traffic lights:

1. I pull up at the traffic lights, but stay in gear 1
  2. The car starts revving in like 1 second intervals - it's like short revs like a douchebag would do at the trafficlights to get attention
  3. car is still in gear 1 according to the instrument cluster
  4. when I press the gas pedal, it seems to be very sensitive and revs up to 8000 rpm as if it was in neutral yet still indicating that it is in gear 1
  5. to get rid of this problem I have to pull both paddles to make the instrument cluster display neutral, rev a little bit manually, and reengage gear 1
Any idea what this could be? I am pretty sure it started happening before the clutch change but after I changed the spark plugs and installed a factory RNS-E. Also, I intermittently can see some "cut or short circuit" errors in some ECU, but there are no errors in the gearbox module.

When this weirdness is not happening, the car drives just fine. However, driving this car is far from enjoyable right now.

PS: I haven't managed to get it on video ... I will keep a GoPro running at all times now.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Vacuum hoses? Maybe the connectors going to the throttle bodies, check to be sure no wires are cracked? I think you would have had to remove them for these services.

it's weird it would rev like that though in 1st, at a stop, with your foot on the brake and not fry the clutch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is indeed weird.
I will check the vacuum hoses and the throttle bodies in a couple minutes.

All errors by the way seem to relate to implausible signals and short circuits (in the ZKE) for example. One day, the right door speakers stopped working for a day then came back on. So maybe it is indeed some loose wire or bad ground plate that is messing up the CAN signal?

I might need to measure through the fuse box, but it seems very hard to me to find an intermittent short circuit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's weird it would rev like that though in 1st, at a stop, with your foot on the brake and not fry the clutch.
It doesn't look like the clutch is engaged at all, even though the instrument shows gear 1: When I step on the gas pedal while the revving is going on, it just instantly revs up to 8000 rpm (even with a very careful foot) without moving an inch. Then, after shifting around a bit, the problem goes away and it drives nicely again.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is a very weird problem. I don't anyone who had this issue. I hope you'll find out why this is happening. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you're getting electrical/ecu faults.. then probably not a vacuum hose issue (though can't hurt to check). I'd say you definitely have a ground or shorting problem somewhere.

1) I'd look at every piece of electrical wire/connection you had to move to replace the clutch (and other items listed) AND the spark plugs.
2) Maybe easier, just be sure the negative/ground strap from the battery to the chassis is OK (no corrosion, etc), first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like the exact same issue I'm having from my thread here

https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f47/sporadic-throttle-issue-220752/

It's happened about 4 times now. Pull up to a stop and then car revs over and over. Put it in neutral and give it a blip and it quits. No fault codes showing up on my scanner though. The best way I've found to keep it from happening is to have my phone ready to record video and then it never does it. Next time it does it if I'm not in traffic I'm just going to let it do it and see what happens, maybe if it does it enough I'll get some kind of CEL or something that will register. Going to try and dig through the mode 6 data and see if anything is showing up there. Also possibly worth noting, I had my clutch done about 6 months ago but the problem just started recently, may just be a coincidence though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Farmer and Roger, can you answer:

1) Did you do the work yourself or take it to mechanic/indy/dealer?
2) How many miles on your car when you changed your clutch
3) How many miles before you started noticing this issue?

Immediately, I can see these items affecting the idle:

1) Throttle pedal
2) Throttle bodies
3) Wiring going to either
4) MAF sensor?

This is definitely related to the drive by wire system, so something in that system is causing the throttle butterflies to move.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds like the exact same issue I'm having from my thread here

https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f47/sporadic-throttle-issue-220752/

It's happened about 4 times now. Pull up to a stop and then car revs over and over. Put it in neutral and give it a blip and it quits. No fault codes showing up on my scanner though. The best way I've found to keep it from happening is to have my phone ready to record video and then it never does it. Next time it does it if I'm not in traffic I'm just going to let it do it and see what happens, maybe if it does it enough I'll get some kind of CEL or something that will register. Going to try and dig through the mode 6 data and see if anything is showing up there. Also possibly worth noting, I had my clutch done about 6 months ago but the problem just started recently, may just be a coincidence though.
Hi Roger, this is exactly the issue that I have as well.
I have a LARA here and I have no fault codes (in both gearbox and the two motor ECUs) either. Neither do I have any idea how to reproduce it as it seems to happen pretty randomly.

In my case it kind of appeared after setting the PIS but before changing the clutch. What I did is I tried to fine-tune the PIS on the old clutch to have a quicker reaction. PIS was at 5.30 (!!!!!!) and I changed it to 4.97.

@InfiniteLoop:

I took it to a mechanic (new TOB, new flywheel, new clutch, all OEM), but did the software clutch reset myself as we have a LARA at our local Lamborghini club.

Changed the clutch with 24.100 miles

Appeared with 24.050 miles ... shortly BEFORE the clutch was installed but after PIS was changed, radio was inserted and spark plugs were changed.

2) Throttle bodies

Cleaned and decrappified ... didn't help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Roger McCormick:

Maybe we should install some kind of CAN bus logger to our OBD port and record everything. Clearly, it should show us what signal seems to be implausible. The biggest issue is to find one that is affordable ... one that records everything and gives us the opportunity to debug later on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Farmer and Roger, can you answer:

Immediately, I can see these items affecting the idle:

1) Throttle pedal
2) Throttle bodies
3) Wiring going to either
4) MAF sensor?

This is definitely related to the drive by wire system, so something in that system is causing the throttle butterflies to move.
Im getting close to 23K on the clock, Just for kicks I'm dropping in a MAP sensor as its about the least expensive thing on the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Im getting close to 23K on the clock, Just for kicks I'm dropping in a MAP sensor as its about the least expensive thing on the car.
Not sure if that's it ... If the MAP sensor goes bad, the ECM can't calculate the engine load properly causing it to run either too rich or too lean (not sure it would cause these quick and hard revs). Also, this should happen intermittently independent of the speed you're going at.

Why are we only experiencing it when we slowly come to a stop at the traffic lights?

Roger, do you by any chance have an aftermarket engine ECU, I think I have a "Syvecs Powertrain Control" in there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if that's it ... If the MAP sensor goes bad, the ECM can't calculate the engine load properly causing it to run either too rich or too lean (not sure it would cause these quick and hard revs). Also, this should happen intermittently independent of the speed you're going at.

Why are we only experiencing it when we slowly come to a stop at the traffic lights?

Roger, do you by any chance have a aftermarket engine ECU?
My car is stock other than test pipes

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My car is stock other than test pipes

That's good to know, so I can at least rule out the "Syvecs Powertrain Control" as the agent provocateur.

I will drive around tomorrow like a maniac until I catch it on video ... maybe someone will be able to pin point it from the footage :) Many people that I talked to think I am talking about a rough idle, but it's actually many quick and intense rev bursts, like those you find in these legendary "douchbag shows off in Lambo" YouTube clips.

·
Vendor
2,345 Posts
Unplug the potentiometer/drive by wire plug (as soon as the car starts doing this) Let's eliminate that first as a potential issue. This will be easiest thing to do.

Same process used when installing the sprint booster:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Unplug the potentiometer/drive by wire plug (as soon as the car starts doing this) Let's eliminate that first as a potential issue. This will be easiest thing to do.
Thanks Jason, I will try that one the moment the G starts acting up again. Need to prepare everything so I can reach the plug in no time though - I might even create a little intermediate cable with a switch because as you can probably imagine, this error only occurs on busy main streets with little to no time for troubleshooting :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi guys,

I have just recently serviced my Gallardo Spyder from 2008, PreLP. I had earlier problems with the clutch (was worn 98% and the gears sometimes wouldn't engage properly) so I replaced the clutch, throwout bearing, wear sensor, flushed the e-gear box, and changed the spark plugs. I am not sure what's happening here, but the following issue is happening intermittently - maybe once every 20 stops at traffic lights:

1. I pull up at the traffic lights, but stay in gear 1
  2. The car starts revving in like 1 second intervals - it's like short revs like a douchebag would do at the trafficlights to get attention
  3. car is still in gear 1 according to the instrument cluster
  4. when I press the gas pedal, it seems to be very sensitive and revs up to 8000 rpm as if it was in neutral yet still indicating that it is in gear 1
  5. to get rid of this problem I have to pull both paddles to make the instrument cluster display neutral, rev a little bit manually, and reengage gear 1
Any idea what this could be? I am pretty sure it started happening before the clutch change but after I changed the spark plugs and installed a factory RNS-E. Also, I intermittently can see some "cut or short circuit" errors in some ECU, but there are no errors in the gearbox module.

When this weirdness is not happening, the car drives just fine. However, driving this car is far from enjoyable right now.

PS: I haven't managed to get it on video ... I will keep a GoPro running at all times now.
For my two cents its the throttle bodies air leaking internally, if it was a vacuum leak would show up all the time. Pretty common for early year G, only fix known is to buy rebuilt ones -not cheap or rebuild yourself if you have access to a cleaning tank, even a few small grains of dirt in there will do this

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For my two cents its the throttle bodies air leaking internally, if it was a vacuum leak would show up all the time. Pretty common for early year G, only fix known is to buy rebuilt ones -not cheap or rebuild yourself if you have access to a cleaning tank, even a few small grains of dirt in there will do this
Thanks for your reply, Beachman. Might be ... but would it also explain why the car does not have a gear engaged even though it indicated "Gear 1" on the dash?

I really have to try to reproduce it today and get it on camera.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Beachman. Might be ... but would it also explain why the car does not have a gear engaged even though it indicated "Gear 1" on the dash?

I really have to try to reproduce it today and get it on camera.
Thanks just my two cents from my own experience, a set of rebuilt throttle bodies is not cheap. There are a few specialty shops I know of that rebuilt them with a core exchange. The egear issue not sure about that one maybe a sensor?
Run that one by a tech

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks just my two cents from my own experience, a set of rebuilt throttle bodies is not cheap. There are a few specialty shops I know of that rebuilt them with a core exchange. The egear issue not sure about that one maybe a sensor?
Run that one by a tech
I pondered that option after verifying I had the newer revision of the TB ECU but I wasn't sure if there would have to be a relearn procedure performed with a LaRA of similar or if they would adapt on their own. At least if it gets to that point I found a lower cost option for the Bosch units used on the '08 models.

https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-throttle-body-07d133062?c=Zz1mdWVsLXN5c3RlbSZzPXRocm90dGxlLWJvZHkmbD0xJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9dm9sa3N3YWdlbiZvPXBhc3NhdCZ5PTIwMDQmdD13OCZlPTQtMGwtdzgtZ2Fz

Visual inspection of my TB's show that they are squeaky clean inside and out so since it's an extremely intermittent issue I'm not ready to go down that road yet. Strange that I'm driving around hoping for a CEL but so far no luck...

Also in my case I'm not having any Egear issues, mine just does the revving thing..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts