Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just figured I'd post and get some opinions. Since I was a kid, the Gallardo has always been my favorite car. It's been a dream to own one, and basically, I'm tired of dreaming. Some things that have happened in my life recently have really had me thinking that tomorrow is not guaranteed, and I want to get into one of these cars. That said, I'm in my very early 20s, and only have worked full-time for about 1 year. I have saved every penny, and cheaped out on everything to save money for a fun car. I recently test drove some M cars, (F80 M3/F10 M5), and while they're awesome, why not just go the full distance. I would be ecstatic with a high mileage Gallardo that doesn't have perfect paint, so long as it's mechanically sound and well cared for. They seem to have plateau'd in there depreciation, and from what I've seen on forums, the cars are pretty hardy outside of the clutches. I'm a software engineer with a secure job (knock on wood), and potentially may be relocating. This means potential for work-from-home, and very cheap living costs. If I make the move and the Gallardo begins to make more sense financially, should I do it? Or keep saving my money?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You only live once but be mindful that the initial cost is just payment number 1. These cars can be expensive to maintain and insure. Create a budget, if it fits in, would do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Plan to set aside 10K nest egg for maintenance and clutch. Once you have that, on top of the funds for the car. Go for it. You only live once. Just be smart and have some savings so you never have to stretch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You only live once but be mindful that the initial cost is just payment number 1. These cars can be expensive to maintain and insure. Create a budget, if it fits in, would do it.
Yes absolutely, the clutch and a/c compressors I know are a bit of a hassle and very expensive to deal with. I've been considering other good "starter" exotics, but the gallardo sticks out always :)

Do you happen to have any experience with the maintenance issues?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plan to set aside 10K nest egg for maintenance and clutch. Once you have that, on top of the funds for the car. Go for it. You only live once. Just be smart and have some savings so you never have to stretch.
That is exactly what I plan. I have some savings sectioned off for a fun car and the rest would remain in savings for the car. Ideally, would continue some videography with the car and increase ad revenue using the car to help earn back some money from it. I'm super frugal and I'm always always saving my cash.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think high mileage Gs are a good buy. Probably wont lose much more to depreciation. They seem to be very durable so go for it as long as you have a large portion of the price saved. As a software engineer I would not worry about job security. Get it and post pics. Lee

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think high mileage Gs are a good buy. Probably wont lose much more to depreciation. They seem to be very durable so go for it as long as you have a large portion of the price saved. As a software engineer I would not worry about job security. Get it and post pics. Lee
Thank you for your suggestion Lee, looking forward to joining the crew. It will likely be a bit until that happens but I figured I would ask. I started seriously considering recently, and appreciate everyone's input so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sidenote, just saw you're out in Aledo? I'm moving to Benbrook most likely temporarily until I officially move back to Philadelphia. Do you ever go to any cars and coffee events?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I went to a car show in Arlington last Sunday night. I was thinking about the Italian Car fest in Grapevine tomorrow but decided I did not want to spend all day in the heat. We go to a lot of the local car meets in Ft Worth . Let me know next time there is a cars and coffee and I may come. If you like, I will post next time there is one. They are usually posted only a few days ahead but lots of fun. The Jalpa always draws a crowd. Lee

·
Registered
317 Posts
To the OP:

Do you drive manual? If so, find a Gallardo with stick shift and hold onto that baby, I feel like you'll loose even less money on such a desirable car. One of the last stick shift cars by Lamborghini. Plus, it's manual so that's already a win obviously! And you don't have to worry about the e-Gear.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Dallas is about an hour each way for me. North Dallas even more. Where is the C and C ?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey DXM . Where are you based?We could always meet up somewhere. I would like to see your car as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To the OP:

Do you drive manual? If so, find a Gallardo with stick shift and hold onto that baby, I feel like you'll loose even less money on such a desirable car. One of the last stick shift cars by Lamborghini. Plus, it's manual so that's already a win obviously! And you don't have to worry about the e-Gear.

I would absolutely love a stick shift one; I haven’t had a stick car in roughly a year and miss it quite a bit. That said stick cars are very expensive now, probably a $20,000 premium over a comp egear. The clutch wear I know is terrible on egears but $20k is a big number to pay to row gears. That said, who knows how well manual gallardos will do in the future? I imagine they will hold their values very well, and perhaps appreciate slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In response to Lee and DXM, I have heard great things about the Cars and Cannoli meetups. Dallas has a wild car scene and the turnout is always great from what I have seen in pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
To the OP:

1. While saving is great, please also learn to invest
2. Buy a house before a toy.
3. Car value should be 50% of your annual income.
4. Home value should be 300% of your annual income.

Make $100K, buy a $50K car and a $300K house.

That's just my $0.02 of worthless opinion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
To the OP:

1. While saving is great, please also learn to invest
2. Buy a house before a toy.
3. Car value should be 50% of your annual income.
4. Home value should be 300% of your annual income.

Make $100K, buy a $50K car and a $300K house.

That's just my $0.02 of worthless opinion.
This is a very good advice.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts