Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

TL;DR: what's your experience with and without LDS on the EVO RWD?

I'm in the process of ordering a Huracan EVO RWD Spyder, and I initially decided to avoid adding the Lamborghini Dynamic Steering (LDS) option, because I want the car to be as communicative and engaging as possible at normal speeds. I will take it out on a race track once a year, but will mostly be driven on curvy public roads.

However, the dealer said that he has driven Huracans (didn't specify which generation) with and without LDS, and he always preferred the one with LDS more. His reasoning was that he felt more in control, and the car was more precise when driven spiritedly.

The only EVO RWD in my country had LDS, and the steering in Strada was a bit overboosted. Don't know if this is related to LDS or just how the electric assist works in conjunction with the Anima switch.

So I'm turning to you for advice. How does the steering feel compares with and without LDS on the EVO RWD?

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Id be interested in the the answer to that as well.
I just got back from the dealer and he said if I wasn't going to be taking out to the track regularly, it was not a huge deal to leave it out of the build.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Not sure on RWD but I have driven huracans and R8's with it and without it and is a must for me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other piece of information that I found on this is that generally people didn't like it on the pre-facelift Huracan, but the system improved drastically starting with the Performante, making it a must-have option. I would assume that the EVO uses the new LDS system from the Performante. Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not getting it for the simple reason that none of my other cars have something equivalent and I don’t want a drastically different experience in steering across my cars.
That was exactly my line of thinking too. However, I'm curious to know what people experienced with the latest implementation on the EVO RWD.

I found a video of it in action on the Aventador on a track:

Seems like the default rack is not very fast, and I would be crossing arms in tight turns. I wouldn't mind a fast ratio for the Swiss mountain pass hairpins.

I found positive opinions about LDS in the Performante: What's the difference between LDS and No LDS in the...

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,499 Posts
This is my first EVO RWD, but my fourth Huracan. This is the first one with LDS. First, I don’t track my car so I seldom have an opportunity to really test it, but for basic and spirited driving I cannot tell any difference. I agree with the above post, it all depends on your driving technique.

·
Registered
248 Posts
steering in Strada was a bit overboosted
One of the Porsche engineers instructed one driver during a test, when he noticed that the car overcorrrected when he corrected for the tail wagging out.
He said that due to the front wheels being powered, unlike most Porsches, he just needed to apply less correction than normal.

Could it be that the steering feels over-boosted, because due to the front tires having motive force going to them, not just dumbly applying slip angle to get the desired steering response, that they are steering more effectively than a car with non-driving front wheels?

In theory, a wheel that is driving the automobile forward will be a more effective steering tool than a wheel that is only relying on slip angle, because the slip angle is converting forward momentum into lateral movement roughly in the direction of the tires' pointed direction, while the driven tires are not relying on any forward momentum to convert, in a secondhand way, into rotation of the car about its yaw axis.

Ultimately, steering is designed to rotate a car about its yaw axis. Driven wheels do this more effectively than what are, in effect, just glorified rudders.

Could it be that this is why the steering feels too enthusiasitic, because it is more effective due to the motive power?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shouldn’t not crossing your arms just come down to driving technique? Also the LDS driver in that video still crosses his arms at some points it looks like.
I agree. I meant to say that it would be easy to end up in a situation where arms would cross without LDS. So with a faster rack, it's easier to keep hands on the steering wheel than without.

Conclusion: I decided to order the car with LDS.

And now the wait begins!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,584 Posts
I didn't have it on my 2021 EVO RWD, and didn't order it on my 2022 EVO RWD so I cannot compare and contrast but the steering/control on my 2021 EVO was superb. Disclaimer, I have never tracked a Lamborghini.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
After reading the above I went back to my SA and he said if my plans are to track it just a couple of times a year to pass on it. Surprising since it's really not an expensive option but given the fact that it's just one more thing that could go wrong I'm taking his advice and going without.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts