Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw another mention here of a titanium custom made clutch rod for the diablo engine.

What am is missing here. People are paying good money to have this unique piece of metal made out of titanium for weight savings??? The difference in weight between this rod made out of titanium and say stainless steel (much easier to fabricate) is tiny in terms of the total weight of the car. If the driver skips a meal the weights would balance up! Have I missed something with this titanium stuff?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Sharham: I just got of the phone with Sean and all I can say is that you are a lucky guy to have his expertise available to you! Great guy! On the issue of the clutch rod Sean says that Titanium will not make any diffferance because it is the design that is bad. He explained what he does to correct the problem with his redesigned clutch.
I asked if there is any way you can inspect the rod visually and get an idea on how it is wearing. Like doing a preventive maintenence check. Sean said that not really. JRV I hope you will comment on these observations. It appears that this rod breakage is happening to quite a few Diablo's and its a shame that there is no way to check it. So, everytime I go for a ride I cannot be sure that thing will not let go. Ughh! JRV, whats do you think? Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Speed,

the Rod Design is Definately Rube Goldberg.. ..the pics will explain it better. I respect Seans opinion and actually agree a complete redesign is not a bad idea. I do feel however that Titanium can overcome poor design and it's a far easier and more direct solution.

Regards, JRV

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
JRV: I guess the next question is when will the Titanium replacement be available? I believe you and others were working on that at one time?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I love the Triple disc Clutch. Much easier(super soft) to use and it cures the linkage problem.
Also it goes into gear much smoother and a weight savings of around 25 pounds.

If anyone is in So-Cal they can come try it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If is not the weight but the strength then why not use one of the variety of very high strength steels redaably available today. They are much easyier to machine into shape and as I understand it far stronger than titanium. The latter being notourously hard to machine.

Also there is no need to have the width of the rod be the same as lamborghini has it. Why not make it 1" thick all the way immediatly up to the treads rather than tinner and gradually tapering down to the tread width (the part that brakes).

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
John, you're right about certian other alloy's...the problem becomes marketing...a material must be used that inspires confidence automatically, otherwise add several hundred dollars to every sale simply due to phone education neccesary to convince a buyer it's the real deal...:)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Sorry Joe, we certianly didn't mean to jinx you!!!

ok ok ok...no rest for the weary!!! here are the pics of the clutch rod.

Because the rod is subjected to tremendous pressure when the clutch pedal is depressed it Breaks at both of the points shown in the photos. The problem with the design is that the rod is subjected to both "force" and "twist" at the same time. The sharp edges of the threads produce what is known as "stress risers"...places cracks form, and the welded portion is harder and more orone to "fracturing" than the solid portions. Long story short, the "design & manufacture" of this piece is destined to fail.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Joe: I had mine changed out at Ultimate. Even though it was okay I decided to become proactive with it and put in the newer part number rod, color grey, which is not unbreakable but will last longer than the original equipment according to Ulitmate. Then maybe every 3000 miles or so change it while you are having an oil change. Some owners are already doing this. Prevenative maintenance is smart and will save money and aggravation in the future. Rods, actually two pieces, were about $200 and one hour of labor was charged.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts