Lamborghini Talk banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
2,575 Posts
I took off my rear bumper cover to install exhaust. Suprised the car only has 14k miles and quite a few broken tabs. Several separated completly.

I have used 3M 2216B/A in the past very successfully to repair all kinds of things. Long story short, I repaired all my tabs with this and I guarantee you will have to break another area before you will break the epoxy bond. Just give area some tooth and solvent clean. I used some dabs of CA glue at the tip of a broken off tab for instance and then coated the rest w/ epoxy. After a quick initial set, I smoothed and spread epoxy and added any reinforcing. In the past, (my tabs did not need this) I have embedded fiberglass cloth in the epoxy for extra strength. You can also 'stitch' the area with aviation stainless safety wire, which will hold the parts while epoxy cures. When hard you can remove wire by just grinding down, or leave if you want the extra support and it is not in the way.

Dont go looking for other epoxies. Trust me. This is what you want to use. ;) I flew a helicopter which it's blade skins were bonded to the spar with this same adhesive. It has fantastic strength, yet is not brittle so it can hold up in high vibration environments.

Very cool. Maybe we should start shipping our bumpers to you :)

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I noticed that too. Doesn't seem to have the 4 exhaust grille tabs on either side??? The spot welding makes me think it's not finished either
Saying that great idea

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Gallardo 6-speed manual
43 Posts
Yeah, I agree. It doesn't seem to be finished. I have just contacted them and asked them whether they have more photos... if I receive anything, I'll post it here.

I also wonder whether apart from replacing the bumper skeleton, this is also meant to replace the metal bumper structure (OEM 400807307).
That being said, if this idea finally materializes, it could be godsend... I really don't look forward to replacing my bumper with a new one, knowing that after X years it will be broken again :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I already got an answer from the Andy, the guy behind Fury Autoworx. This is what he said:

Hi Fernando.

Thanks for taking an interest. It was the result of a conversation on the Lamborghini Facebook groups. I didn't realise how bad the situation was for PreLP guys. I guess us LP guys have it easier.

You're absolutely right it was a mid development photo just to show progress at the time. I listed it at the request of a few who wished for me to do some pre-sales to get theirs first.

It must be the weekend of Gallardo parts as I've been asked for more photos by a few and I completely understand why. I return to the workshop tomorrow and I'll do what I can to get more photos and some assembly pictures. The prototype isn't the prettiest as it was cut and altered many times in pursuit of the correct fit but it still shows the concept well.

A fitting guide is exactly what's needed and whilst I'd promise to do it I'd likely never get time so I thank you for the offer. That said, it's also a, first iteration of it and whilst I've taken time to make sure it's right someone with fresh eyes that may see an opportunity I missed or a simpler way about it. Entirely to work with the broad preLP community to achieve perfection for our beloved cars.

Thanks again Fernando
Hope to hear soon

All the best
Andy​
I have asked him whether it would be OK to share the photos here when he will send them to me. If yes, I will post them as soon as they arrive.

I am very happy about someone deciding to go ahead with such solution. A bumper shouldn't be a consumable. With the design from Lamborghini, however, it is... you know for a fact that after X years, a new bumper will have broken tabs.

The worst of it is that Lamborghini is not expected to keep manufacturing these forever... so when this day will come, we better have some alternative like this in place (or else we can drive without rear bumper) :p

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Removing the heat shield and adding an aftermarket exhaust actually is cooler on the rear bumper do to increased air flow. Removing the heat shield and leaving the factory exhaust increase the heat on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got another email from Andy. The whole thing looks promising. This is what he said:
Hi there

It slots over the metal frame for the bumper ans bolts to it gives the whole bumper set up somewhere solid to bear its weight down onto

I've take a picture of the prototype as it currently stands without the smaller grill tabs as they're being measured to be recreated. I'll send it over

All the best
Andy​
And here the photo of the prototype he mentions:

I have to say, I am quite excited about this! :giggle:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Took my front bumper off today. Not easy at all 😆
But now cracks inside 😊
So they clearly have the competence, but never the less managed to screw up the rear bumper skeleton 😬

·
Vendor
2,575 Posts
I’m probably going to stock these so there will be some available in the USA to help people out with shipping. Will try to update more on this later.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts