Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know how much time it takes $$$ to make a plug & mold for something like that,
fgp_stuff_eu in Poland already has a Fiberglass part that needs to be fitted,
maybe Jason B could buy a batch of them, don't think you need to invent the wheel again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know how much time it takes $$$ to make a plug & mold for something like that,
fgp_stuff_eu in Poland already has a Fiberglass part that needs to be fitted,
maybe Jason B could buy a batch of them, don't think you need to invent the wheel again.
well that may be true, but from all accounts, the Polish fibreglass part needs to be clipped/ modded/ sanded/ dremeled.

So Jason B would need an original bumper too, to make sure it fits..

Come to think of it, what is really needed is just a new bumper from lamborghini, complete with inside shell.

Alternatively, a car he could work on.

Jason, what part of the states are you at?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same problem on my MY05 Gallardo. I took off the bumper and took it apart. The problem with cracks is not limited to the tabs holding the mesh. There were cracks everywhere. Bad design explains a lot of the cracks. There were so many sharp corners and that is where the cracks start to form. To avoid sharp corners, is one of the first things you learn when you study mechanical engineering. Always use a big radius instead. That’s why airplanes don’t have square windows anymore.
I bought a hot air gun, some plastic welding rods and got to work. It was a lot of work and not easy at all. Plastic welding has the same problem like regular welding. Things change shape when welding them. So the rear bumper is a little deformed now, but Im probably the only one notice.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I’m not sure casting one out of aluminum would be the best way to replace it. The part was designed for a specific material. I think a shop could design something out of aluminum either stamped, boxed or tube that meets all the required mounting points. It would be like a mini roll cage back there. All it does is join the stuff back there together, it’s a frame or skeleton. It’s not rocket science and pretty much every Gallardo will need it eventually so there’s a market out there for it. The only real trick is designing it so it can be mass produced without a lot of labor.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The part number you're looking for is 400807497B, unfortunately on the pre-LP it includes both the inner skeleton and entire outer bumper cover.
Scuderia sells it for $2039, and Eurospares sells it for $1749.

Not sure why Lamborghini won't sell just the skeleton for the pre-LP, they do for the LP as I had UR replace mine recently for cheap.

If anyone has a large enough 3D printer, you could easily scan a new OEM piece and recreate it, and maybe strengthen the tabs while you're at it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone fitted the FGP Poland fibreglass version with success ? How much work was involved with the fitting ? Is it stronger than the original ?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Somebody did got one from FGP, didn't post the results but he did made a comment to me by pm:

"I know just got one last week. Lots of trimming to fit. You don't have much choice
without buying a whole bumper "

maybe somebody could make a post with pics & details

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone know what the type of plastic the skeleton is made from. If I decide to weld it what type of rods are required ? Does it weld easily ?
Does anyone have a damaged one for sale as I need the left side extreme lower mounting for the exhaust tip screw as mine has broken off and lost.

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Found this in fleabay, looks like it ships from Poland....
(Replacement inner skeleton rear bumper for Pre-LP)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reinforcement-Inside-frame-for-Lamborghini-Gallardo-2004-2008-rear-bumper/143178856644
Here is where it's sold

Don't know what should be understood by "modifications required"

My brackets aren't in good conditions, i'm thinking about this part...

Envoyé de mon SM-A405FN en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I sandwhiched strips of aluminum on both sides of the connections all the way around and reinforced the brackets

·
Registered
255 Posts
Cheaper than buying a new bumper but i think few brackets are missing/Lost...
How to re creat a New one if needed ?

Envoyé de mon SM-A405FN en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had access to a machine shop and it took a few tries and many hours to make these because of the contours. A new rear apron/bumper is $3,500 raw and then needs to be painted to match.

·
Registered
2013 Gallardo LP550-2
8 Posts
What about the LP rear bumper skeleton? Are they available? Mine is horrible. 2013 LP550-2
Plus does anyone know if the LP550, LP560 and LP570 are different?

·
Registered
255 Posts
i ordered the rear bumper inside frame from FGP... my mechanic will does the job.
Hope to see it done.
I will ask him to take pictures and will post them.

·
Registered
2013 Gallardo LP550-2
8 Posts
I found one!! Lamborghini in Atlanta has one which I purchased right before posting this. $470 plus shipping. #400807311D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I took off my rear bumper cover to install exhaust. Suprised the car only has 14k miles and quite a few broken tabs. Several separated completly.

I have used 3M 2216B/A in the past very successfully to repair all kinds of things. Long story short, I repaired all my tabs with this and I guarantee you will have to break another area before you will break the epoxy bond. Just give area some tooth and solvent clean. I used some dabs of CA glue at the tip of a broken off tab for instance and then coated the rest w/ epoxy. After a quick initial set, I smoothed and spread epoxy and added any reinforcing. In the past, (my tabs did not need this) I have embedded fiberglass cloth in the epoxy for extra strength. You can also 'stitch' the area with aviation stainless safety wire, which will hold the parts while epoxy cures. When hard you can remove wire by just grinding down, or leave if you want the extra support and it is not in the way.

Dont go looking for other epoxies. Trust me. This is what you want to use. ;) I flew a helicopter which it's blade skins were bonded to the spar with this same adhesive. It has fantastic strength, yet is not brittle so it can hold up in high vibration environments.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same issue, when I will have time I will repair with Epoxy Resin for plastic......

21 - 40 of 41 Posts