Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you surely now, the inner skeleton of the rear bumper is made out of plastic. It gets brittle with heat and cracks .
The bumper brackets on both my Pre-LP and LP cars have broken tabs. Every other Gallardo I have seen suffers from the same problem.
My mechanic is fabricating light weight sturdy aluminum bracket to solve the problem once and for all. He though of fabricating it from CF but finally decided on aluminum which withstands the high heat and vibration better.

Anyone else came up with other solution for that ?

·
Vendor
2,399 Posts
As many of you surely now, the inner skeleton of the rear bumper is made out of plastic. It gets brittle with heat and cracks .
The bumper brackets on both my Pre-LP and LP cars have broken tabs. Every other Gallardo I have seen suffers from the same problem.
My mechanic is fabricating light weight sturdy aluminum bracket to solve the problem once and for all. He though of fabricating it from CF but finally decided on aluminum which withstands the high heat and vibration better.

Do you think removal of the heatshield (which many do to show off their exhaust) is what contributes to this?

Also, maybe he should make more than 1 bracket. I'd offer them to people on here once I'm officially a sponsor. Mention it to him please.

·
Registered
400 Posts

I switched to a kline innovation exhaust system and all is good reduce weight, heat and added 30-40hp, we also added a thin 2MM aluminum strip on the either side of the tabs and sandwiched the brakcets, many were broken when i replaced the rear clip-ran over a piece of a tire and on exit underneath grabbed the rear diffuser. no more issues with the tabs now

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd love to see what this looks like when it's done :wave:

I switched to a kline innovation exhaust system and all is good reduce weight, heat and added 30-40hp, we also added a thin 2MM aluminum strip on the either side of the tabs and sandwiched the brakcets, many were broken when i replaced the rear clip-ran over a piece of a tire and on exit underneath grabbed the rear diffuser. no more issues with the tabs now
Can you post pics of this?

---------------------------------

My rear bumper is currently at a body shop where the body guy is "plastic stapling" a tab that he broke off. When I saw a crack, I took the bumper into the shop for an inspection, and he said "I don't see the crack you're talking about..." and proceeded to put his finger on the tab and flex it and *snap*. :mad:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was thinking about covering the plastic skeleton with that gold heat shield tape so the exhaust would not make it crumble.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it has anything to do with heatshield . Both my cars had the heatshield when I found out the tabs were broken.

I bet almost every single Gallardo has at leas one , or more broken tabs. Usually, we are not aware of them till the bumper is removed.

I'll post some pictures here as soon as the brackets are ready

·
Vendor
2,399 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with heatshield . Both my cars had the heatshield when I found out the tabs were broken.

I bet almost every single Gallardo has at leas one , or more broken tabs. Usually, we are not aware of them till the bumper is removed.

I'll post some pictures here as soon as the brackets are ready

Cool. Good post to follow. I do know with the stock exhaust temps can be almost double back at that bumper (aftermarket exhaust super lowers that temp, but a stock exhaust on the car for 10+ years at those temps might be doing something). Just thinking of other possible reasons. Heat really is the enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
heat is a contributing factor... but vibration is the primary here

the worst part is that the inner bracket clearly is available as a standalone part -- it's even got its own order number on it... but you can only order it together with the external cover... at about 10x the price... sigh

https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f47/hey-doltmo-203081/index5.html#post1883049

admittedly, using cutting tools to get my old broken bracket out without damaging the cover... was not fun... but it did work

good luck with making a metal bracket... it will have no flex... so you might find the cover cracking instead... it's hard to predict

·
Registered
64 Posts
I looked at all the above and kept looking from the inside out. I came up with this idea looking from the outside in.

I only drilled through the Skelton above the exhaust tips. So no mods to the rear bumper what so ever.

The brackets where pre drilled so I had to drill the bracket for the horizontal cap bolts which was slightly above the pre drilled hole.

Please note the 1st pic was taken before I adjusted the angle of the bracket.

I would highly recommend doing this even if the original tabs are still in place.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,399 Posts
What are you going to do with that?

And I could probably fix this issue but don’t have the time right now to dig into it. In due time I hope to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Solution? Has anyone managed to come up with a reproducible fix to this issue? Haha, it seems to be the most common issue.... i think a fix to this would be bought for an easy 300 USD by people... as opposed to the 3k replacement option... where are the smart inventors here? 😄

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks like there's two choices, get a complete bumper or get the one from Poland, other members have installed it and report that there's a lot of trimming on the one from Poland but it's made of fiberglass and will handle the heat better than plastic.

note: ebay link is old and doesn't work, co. is fgp_stuff_eu you will need to contact them.

·
Vendor
2,399 Posts
Solution? Has anyone managed to come up with a reproducible fix to this issue? Haha, it seems to be the most common issue.... i think a fix to this would be bought for an easy 300 USD by people... as opposed to the 3k replacement option... where are the smart inventors here?

That’s me and only me. Joking. But I can do quite a few things. Call or text me 717-319-2100

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks Jason, messaged you!

with regards to the polish one, can the trimming be done in the garage with a dremel? Or does a body shop need to do it? cheers

·
Registered
340 Posts
The plastic repairs my bodyshop did are still holding up after a few months. I meant to post pictures of the process, but basically these wires are heated up until it melts into the two plastic pieces (broken tab and skeleton), and then the plastic cools off and the metal gives it support.

But now I've recently found that I have broken plastic tabs on my exhaust tips. Le sigh :(

·
Registered
266 Posts
The plastic repairs my bodyshop did are still holding up after a few months. I meant to post pictures of the process, but basically these wires are heated up until it melts into the two plastic pieces (broken tab and skeleton), and then the plastic cools off and the metal gives it support.

But now I've recently found that I have broken plastic tabs on my exhaust tips. Le sigh :(

Ive used this solution and it does work! The bottom line is however that even using the hot staple solution they still get brittle and sometime break away. ASK me how I know.

In my limited experience with this car is that literally someone needs to take a brand new inner skeleton and have the darn thing cast out of aluminum, this is the only way that any of us will get a real solution.

When anyone removes a bumper and or grilles just be prepared to deal with broken tabs. Audi/lamborghini did a real disservice making this stupid part out of plastic. I am constantly trying to plasti-weld or staple weld this thing
back together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, Jason B on this forum has unofficially said he would provide a working solution... he just needs a bumper to work on! Does anyone have a spare one we can give to him for a while, so him & the engineers can put something together?

i’m in Australia; so ideally someone who lives in the USA would provide the bumper?

I’m happy for interested parties to start a crowdfundme page of say, 50 bucks each; which we would use as compensation to whoever provides the bumper temporarily while Jason works on the solution!

Who’s in??

cheers

1 - 20 of 41 Posts