Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to have a discussion on tires, particularly options for 18" sizes. My current tires are 8 years old, but they were off the car and stored per Tire Rack recommendations for 4 years, so while they should be OK for awhile, I have started the process of looking around. In the stock sizes:

F: 235/35R18
R: 335/30R18

There is nothing out there (fronts).

However, in the Murcielago stock sizes:

F: 245/35R18
R: 335/30R18

There appears to be possible options from Continental (ZR), as well as Nitto (R) and Toyo (R)

I understand from older searches that going from 235 to 245 would be acceptable

So has anyone bought 18" tires lately, and if so what?

·
Registered
7 Posts
After recommendations from lamborghini technicians (who also provided a firm view that the 245s are fine), I got the Continentals you described. I've been happy with the driving, steering, wear, etc.. I have driven the car on Pirellis but it's very hard to tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
If you got 4wd car, you have to use excatly the tires what car is ment to use and even if you got too much wear between rear and front it is issue for 4wd system; distance where front and rear tyres go around is very accurately mached with central lock if not so, 4wd locks will wear off, also making them go non funktional and cause extensive heat for diff's, what causes oil to go bad. (that is why front diff got temperature sensor for warning light)

Only way to use different tyres is to remove 4wd system ie. front diff.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you got 4wd car, you have to use excatly the tires what car is ment to use and even if you got too much wear between rear and front it is issue for 4wd system; distance where front and rear tyres go around is very accurately mached with central lock if not so, 4wd locks will wear off, also making them go non funktional and cause extensive heat for diff's, what causes oil to go bad. (that is why front diff got temperature sensor for warning light)

Only way to use different tyres is to remove 4wd system ie. front diff.
Part of the reason I brought this up....alot of people say the difference between 235 and 245 is OK. And some people share your opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On later Diablo's door jamb tire label identifies 235 or 245 18" as the correct fitment, I think it's questionable on 17" wheel setup weather 245 tires will not cause long term issues. Having said this, I know of one VT well into 30K plus mi using 245 without any complications.

I also like to ask, if the front axels are removed do you get any warning lights on the dash ? What do you do with other frontend suspension components shocks springs? Do you guys change them to none VT calibration?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My friend got issue with Murcielago (basicly same system) wear down tyres and long run with high speed. He got warning light of front diff temperature and oil dripping off from overflow tube.

If I remeber correct, rolling tolerance between front and rear is max 1.5% (there was long discussion this over F-chat) rolling difference between front and rear wears coupling down and then it will not move power to front. Thing is you know you have destroy viscous coupling only after you need it... I'll bet there are many cars that does not have viscous coupling working correctly.

I would not use any other tyres what is stated to use with Diablo if you got 4wd.

My car is one of those rare cars with VT engine and gearbox, that do not have 4wd from factory, it was an option but who would take one without if you order your Diablo new... So my car would accept any tyre, any tyre wear or wheel size.
All cars are made for 4wd, even very first one, but they did not get 4wd system to work until 1992, so you can take out front differential and buy kits to blug holes to gearbox and wheels (can not be done without one of those kits) and I would do so if I have 4wd car, since difference comes from weight removed and reduced clutch wear and you get that first generation rawnes to car.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,486 Posts
My 97 VT had front differential overheating where the gear lube would turn dark and go out the vent tube to a great mess. I eventually removed the four-wheel-drive front shaft and axles. You will need to buy axle deletes. (do a quick search for my thread on this matter.)

it remains unknown why my forward differential continued to overheat because I have OEM-spec tires, exactly, and less than 5000 miles on those tires with no visible signs of wear. I just have not gotten around to taking the front differential apart to see what if any damage is inside. Mind you there are benefits to reverting these cars back to rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On later Diablo's door jamb tire label identifies 235 or 245 18" as the correct fitment, I think it's questionable on 17" wheel setup weather 245 tires will not cause long term issues. Having said this, I know of one VT well into 30K plus mi using 245 without any complications.
Can you post a picture of this sticker? My '99 only calls out 235

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some previous threads that might be useful:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just looked up some photos on BAT past results, for sure on a 6.0 Diablo VT 245/18 is acceptable. 99 VT indicates 235/18 as only option.
Yes, I read that also.....it just doesn't make any sense that they would differ. FWIW, I run 6.0 wheels on my Roadster, maybe I'm exempt...LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts