Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any Gallardo owners noticed a repetitive ticking or pulsing noise that sometimes can be heard inside the cabin coming from somewhere in the transmission tunnel, under the handbrake? It ticks every 1 second, or so, is not very loud, and you would not normally hear it with the radio on. You can sometimes feel it "pulsing" if you put your hand on the transmission tunnel.

Apparently (according to the workshop foreman at my dealer) they all seem to do it, but not all the time. He had noticed it some time ago, and was surprised that I had noticed it, as I have been the only owner to pick it up (I'm just picky! :D ).

He told me that it is coming from a motor (or was it a valve) that controls the water flow from the engine to the cabin heater/air con unit behind the dash. There is no problem with it - it just makes a ticking noise, dependant on what air vent flaps are open/closed and what the climate control is trying to do at the time. The device is attached solidly to the transmission tunnel which "amplifies" the sound. Lamborghini are aware of it, and they may be bringing out an update to fix it. In the meantime my local dealer is looking to see if there is something that he can do to solve it in the meantime.

No big deal, but I was a bit concerned when I first heard it, not knowing what it was. Just drive fast and you'll never hear it ;)

So now you know!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sounds like your like me, ticking noises and squeaks drive me crazy. I swear ill crash one day after madly reaching over to the passenger seat to try and find the latest rattle Ive heard.

Other people can actually sit in my car and listen, but never hear what i seem to pick up on. I hadn't heard the one your talking about, but I'm sure by the end of the day i will :rolleyes:

To be fair to the car, its very quiet compared to the 360. that thing used to creak like a deck board on a landing jetty! Drove me nuts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
pulsing in the transmission

Bunkhound,
I get something similar. When I'm resting my hand on the gear lever in neutral, I can feel the gear lever twitching in my hand about once every two seconds. It feels as though something in the transmission is tapping the gear lever regularly. It's only a slight movement, but mildly irritating all the same.
William

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
youngwill100 said:
I get something similar. When I'm resting my hand on the gear lever in neutral, I can feel the gear lever twitching in my hand about once every two seconds. It feels as though something in the transmission is tapping the gear lever regularly.
Yep, that's it. Seems it's nothing to worry about though, fortunately.

After the car left me stranded on the side of the road, 100km from home, the other week, due to the "water in the coil pack" problem, I now get worried by the slightest thing that seems to be "out of the ordinary". When I first noticed this ticking thing, of course I was again away on a trip, hundreds of miles from home and up in the mountains (great driving!), and thought "oh no - now what?" so I pulled over and phoned my dealer, who assured me it was nothing I needed to be concerned about.

But it will probably take a while before my confidence in the car's reliability, is completely restored.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I've had this happen too. Not all the time, and usually when the car is cold is when it occurs. I like it. It reminds me the car is at least partly Italian. ;)

The other weird thing I've had happen is an occasional percussive noise in the body near the windscreen - sounds like some kind of aluminium flex. Again, it doesn't bother me - it gives the car personality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh my god!

I haven't been around for a couple of weeks and just came back to the site to catch up AND to post a message about a damn ticking noise I am experiencing with my g-car - it clicks every four seconds or so and you can feel it through the transmission tunnel etc etc..... AND it seems I am not the only one!

Just spoke with Lambo Assist and Lambo stockport and they said they have never come across this before so I am a little confused.

Given the earlier posts, has anyone worked out the optimum postion of vents a/c etc to stop it? It really does drive me mad

James - I am with you on this - rattles drive me barmy and I frequently think the car is going to self-destruct and its actually only my better half's handbag tapping something. I kicked her out of the car to work out if it was her, her mobile junk pile (handbag) or the car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
felix66 said:
James - I am with you on this - rattles drive me barmy and I frequently think the car is going to self-destruct and its actually only my better half's handbag tapping something. I kicked her out of the car to work out if it was her, her mobile junk pile (handbag) or the car.
LOL, I've been there and done the exact same thing. The merc is so quiet you can hear a pin drop. After a couple of days it developed this creak that i couldn't narrow down other than it being in the passenger footwell. I seriously nearly crashed the car trying to reach past my wife to bash the wall of the side of the transmission tunnel. Only later did we identify the leather handbag fully equipped with half the contents of our house as being the cause of all the noise!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Fully read all these reports. I would suspect, based on what I'm reading that this ticking noise is a small exhaust leak, possibly at the manifold/head junction. Exhaust leaks make a very rythmic ticking noise. Try to help your local mechanic by isolating the exact area of the noise so that they can more easily solve the issue!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not that type of ticking...

JRV said:
Fully read all these reports. I would suspect, based on what I'm reading that this ticking noise is a small exhaust leak, possibly at the manifold/head junction. Exhaust leaks make a very rythmic ticking noise. Try to help your local mechanic by isolating the exact area of the noise so that they can more easily solve the issue!
No its not the exhuast - there is an obvious mechanical thing happening because when you have your arm on the transmission tunnel you can feel it.

I suspect it is as Bunkhound described since it stopped when i switched the aircon off! Will be speaking with Lambo Tech in the morning and see if they have worked up a fix yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad this was raised because I've been wondering about the ticking myself. I rest my arm on handrake/ transmission tunnel and feel it all the time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I know this post is from 2004 but in my experience the ticking (in my 04 is exactly as described) has something to do with the heat/ac...the ticking (every second or so) just under the e brake surround stops and starts depending on weather I had the heat blowing or not. This was happening set at 84 with the unit set to ECON so there is no way it was the compressor kicking on and off. Just thought I'd update since this thread was still open.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Holy Smoke! This must be the thread resurrection of the Century! If you waited just over a month more the thread would actually celebrate its first DECADE in hibernation :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Got the same sound in my 06

This puts me in a corner lol:).
This sound made me park my car twice in a "hilly" road opening the expantion tank " to release possible traped air". :) this sound even took away some of the great driving exp. The temp gauge seartenly was in great use during this "nightmare";)
Months later... Finally located te source....

Brg Bjørn:wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yep. That's it. Just shut the heat off. Problem solved. Only took me a minute to test the heater as a source. I also tried...clutch in/out, traction control on/off, e brake on/off. The second I shut off the AC unit the noise disappeared. I figured there was some kind of valve under there. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
This happened to me a few days ago when i stopped somewhere. At first i panicked because i just bought the car and thought it was already having a transmission issue! i turned the AC off and it was gone. Didn't use the AC again until i got to the dealer who confirmed that it wasn't an issue at all and that it's quite common.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
This puts me in a corner lol:).
This sound made me park my car twice in a "hilly" road opening the expantion tank " to release possible traped air". :) this sound even took away some of the great driving exp. The temp gauge seartenly was in great use during this "nightmare";)
Months later... Finally located te source....

Brg Bjørn:wave:
Hi Brg Bjørn,:wave:

Excellent post:salut:

That is what makes this a great forum for us lambo tragics, especially those who want to know what is going on in their cars.

I wonder if the engineer who designed the heating system thought "I 'll make it click like this to see if the lambo owner is awake?":whip:

Most likely not.

Just another example of "the law of unintended consequences" that we all live with in our lives every day :).

Makes life interesting.

cheers,
john

ps not much need for heating here in Perth with temperature 32 degrees C today and higher through summer:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts