Lamborghini Talk banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
720S is a beast. 600LT getting good reviews and at attractive price point. Carbon tub provides unparalleled structural rigidity for the Spyder versions. My 458 Spider would experience noticeable cowl shake with the top down. Seems like McLaren is expanding production and introducing new models so quickly they can't get on top of Quality Control. It's not just Macca's that catch on fire, 458's and GT3's did as well.

·
Registered
Current: SVJ, Pista, Urus, G80 M3 | Previous: 610, 580, Performante, Aventador
1,084 Posts
720S is a beast. 600LT getting good reviews and at attractive price point. Carbon tub provides unparalleled structural rigidity for the Spyder versions. My 458 Spider would experience noticeable cowl shake with the top down. Seems like McLaren is expanding production and introducing new models so quickly they can't get on top of Quality Control. It's not just Macca's that catch on fire, 458's and GT3's did as well.
The 600lt has an issue with the front windshield cracking because of the carbon monocoque which is a design flaw. The 720s has had tons of QC issues hence why in the UK used 720's are plunging. The other issue is the availability of replacement parts. Dealers have to wait weeks and sometimes months to get parts for repairs even for the most basic repairs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The 600lt has an issue with the front windshield cracking because of the carbon monocoque which is a design flaw. The 720s has had tons of QC issues hence why in the UK used 720's are plunging. The other issue is the availability of replacement parts. Dealers have to wait weeks and sometimes months to get parts for repairs even for the most basic repairs.
Yep multiple cracked windshields, carbon fiber parts becoming loose, paint bubbling. Definitive growing pains with Macca but these issues are not limited only to McLaren i.e. paint corrosion with F12. The carbon fiber tub provides a nimble and direct driving experience and the spyders are as rigid as coupes so there's a positives of McLaren design.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
And Lamborghini is going to sell over 8000 cars in 2019, according to Stefano Domenicalli. I was at an event where he spoke, 2 weeks ago, and he spoke about their delivery numbers. I think that's a far cry from where Mclaren will be this year.
That "8k target" in 2019 consists of 50% supercars and 50% SSUVs.

It is going to end up something like:

* McLaren = 5k supercars.
* Lambo = 4k supercars + 4k SSUVs.

·
Registered
877 Posts
My buddy has an MP4-12C and I pray that it doesn't die on him. Luckily, so far he's been alright! For McLaren horror stories, check out "Hoovie's Garage" on youtube and you'll quickly learn that the MP4-12C that he purchased has had OVER $150,000 in repairs which included THREE transmissions and an engine replacement before he purchased it. I wouldn't touch a McLaren with a 10 foot pole unless it had an unlimited warranty of some sort. If memory serves, he got his car back from service during one of his videos and it threw a check engine light :(

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
My buddy has an MP4-12C and I pray that it doesn't die on him. Luckily, so far he's been alright! For McLaren horror stories, check out "Hoovie's Garage" on youtube and you'll quickly learn that the MP4-12C that he purchased has had OVER $150,000 in repairs which included THREE transmissions and an engine replacement before he purchased it. I wouldn't touch a McLaren with a 10 foot pole unless it had an unlimited warranty of some sort. If memory serves, he got his car back from service during one of his videos and it threw a check engine light :(
Not that I have ever considered purchasing one but that makes it more certain that I won't.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not that I have ever considered purchasing one but that makes it more certain that I won't.
I'm the same way. I'm always happy to see them at car meets and Cars & Coffee but I wouldnt ever want to maintain one

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
I have never seen one but in pictures, they are obviously nice. I know what it was like from when I purchased my car and spent upwards of $20,000, to fix what the dealership didn't. These McLaren owners are spending more. It must be so sad for the people who have bought these cars as their dream car and then the problems start.

·
Registered
939 Posts
The primary reason Huracans, including the HP are heavy, is due to the weight of the NA -V10. Turbo engines, being much smaller ( less mass) are far lighter.

The Huracan's dimensions are noticeably smaller than the 720S and 488.

720S - L- 179". W- 85". H-47"
488- 181". 78". 47.7"
H 177" 76". 46"

·
Registered
939 Posts
I love how fast they are, and it pisses me off that Lamborghini doesn’t get more competitive to Mclaren, but I just love the looks of a Lamborghini.
Lamborghini could easily increase Performante to over 750 HP and reduce the car's weight by substituing the NA- V10 for a 4.5 L turbo. Personally, I would not be prepared to make that sacrifice for greater straightline speed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Lamborghini could easily increase Performante to over 750 HP and reduce the car's weight by substituing the NA- V10 for a 4.5 L turbo. Personally, I would not be prepared to make that sacrifice for greater straightline speed.
+1

Get rid of that insane howling N/A V10. Heavens No!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Lambo had a fire issue with the Aventador's until they issued a recall for the fuel venting system, so while I feel for McLaren I'm not gloating too much either!

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
Wonder how many cars have problems from either owners forgetting to tighten or replace something properly or mechanics failing to do their job.
My mate's Gallardo in Australia had fuel spill out everywhere when he got down the road just after a service. He had the fuel pumps or filters replaced, can't remember which one but the mechanic didn't tighten the clamp. That mechanic doesn't look after his Gallardo anymore.

·
Registered
343 Posts
A wise man once told me, "Never own a McLaren outside of warranty."

After reading this thread from start to finish, I'd have to agree :wave:

·
Registered
595 Posts
A wise man once told me, "Never own a McLaren outside of warranty."

After reading this thread from start to finish, I'd have to agree :wave:
Haha, that could be said for any super car...I've got 11 months left on the AV

41 - 60 of 88 Posts