1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wow, that's quite a denunciation of McLaren...! lots of what I hear about McLaren is great performance cars but no "soul" and lots & lots of mechanical issues! All that said nothing touches the 720S so far in the strait line performance mode.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Walk in any McLaren dealer and look at the large queue of cars waiting to be worked on, and then tell them you have a 570s and ask when can you get it in for service and tires. They'll more than likely tell you atleast 2 months.
It's been enough to keep me away from the brand.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The main reason I didn't buy one was the lack of pedigree. No track record of dealing with issues/potential issues.

After seeing this video, man, I'm glad I was right!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They basically did the same thing to a chap in England and he made a video as well. I think they are having some major issues right now. My opinion is, making too many models too fast. Essentially, they are the major contributor to their growing pains. Nearest dealer to me is 420 miles away and I live 100 miles out of Vegas. No way I would get one and deal with getting this car to the dealer and picking it up God knows how many times. Only way I would consider getting one would be a killer deal and live within very close proximity to a dealer. So if you have one and live in LA for example you are probably okay. Cross country or extended road trip? Big gamble in my opinion. Perhaps if I had an enclosed carrier following me - lol.

·
Registered
310 Posts
They basically did the same thing to a chap in England and he made a video as well. I think they are having some major issues right now. My opinion is, making too many models too fast. Essentially, they are the major contributor to their growing pains. Nearest dealer to me is 420 miles away and I live 100 miles out of Vegas. No way I would get one and deal with getting this car to the dealer and picking it up God knows how many times. Only way I would consider getting one would be a killer deal and live within very close proximity to a dealer. So if you have one and live in LA for example you are probably okay. Cross country or extended road trip? Big gamble in my opinion. Perhaps if I had an enclosed carrier following me - lol.
A bit off topic but just saw your signature. How do you like the GTR compared to your Lambo? Seems like some good deals to be had right now on GTRs, in the same price range as 570's.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Started a new thread on Huracan vs GTR comparison.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was shopping for a 570s before I got my 610. I liked the look of the Huracan better and the closest McLaren dealer was 5 hours away. Funny thing is you go over to the McLaren forums and they act like the issues are normal for a car in that price range. The most common responses over there are "every manufacture has car issues" which is true, but unfortunately they seem to have more issues than most. You don't get that stigma because you have a few issues. Or when someone asks about reliability over there a common response is "other than the minor electrical gremlins my car has been great" it's like wtf.

I was looking for a 720s for a while and even made an offer on one but I'm kind of glad it wasn't accepted, dealer actually called me back about a month or so after we negotiated and came down close to what I offered but at that time I just wasn't interested anymore. Another issue they have is there aren't a lot of non dealer shops that work on them so when the warranty is up if you have a major issue it's back to the dealer. Seems like the 720s depreciation isn't as bad as previous cars but they'll be coming out with a replacement for that in like 2 years since they seem to only do a 5 year run on cars which seems to be a little short if you ask me. But it's a fast car that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,552 Posts
I love how fast they are, and it pisses me off that Lamborghini doesn’t get more competitive to Mclaren, but I just love the looks of a Lamborghini.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is appalling.

I owned a 17’ 570s for 6 months last year. Loved the car, the styling, handling and quickness.

During my ownership I had to get an annual service done. The closest dealer was 4-5 hours away, so naturally there was a laundry list of items that needed looked at and fixed.

The dealer had installed xpel ppf when the previous owner owned the vehicle. The ppf was starting to peel and had bubbles in it from poor installation. They agreed to redo the affected areas and make it right for me this one time only, because I didn’t get the ppf installed. They ended up saying, well, you didn’t get this ppf installed and it doesn’t seem like a kit that we would install, and they refused to fix it (even when they agreed to prior via email).

Then the car would rattle at 80mph. Their solution to this was that I needed a $1500 alignment, yes you read right $1500!!. I asked why so high and is it not covered under warranty? They said that the alignment would take a minimum of 6 hours to do. So I ended up calling another mclaren dealer and they said their most expensive alignment was $600. After I told them I would refuse to pay $1500 for an alignment, just ship the car back after annual service, they magically found that one of the front tires the foam came loose and replaced it under warranty. They recommended that I change the opposite front tire to keep even treads (which I totally agree with). And they quoted me $750 for ONE pirelli front tire + install.

Lastly, the passenger window would randomly go down halfway when the door was closed. They blamed my tint for causing this issue meanwhile people with no tint on their 570s have the same issue.

I had scheduled the annual service a month in advance on their timing, they ended up having the car for 3 weeks. I look on my dash cam and they only touched the car for a few days.

I love their cars (minus all the random issues that they have), but the dealership experience was horrible, which caused me to sell the car prematurely.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had two 570 platform cars. The first was purchased back because of the issues. The second one was even worse than the first.

They're absolutely the worst car QC in the market. Hands down, garbage.

McLaren will never see another red cent of my money.

Here's my old thread on the first nightmare:
https://www.mclarenlife.com/threads/new-570gt-owner.80305/#post-1491305

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another thing to consider when buying a McLaren is the huge hit you’re going to take when it comes to depreciation. I know cars depreciate, but I know from personal experience that few cars depreciate like a McLaren.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've had two 570 platform cars. The first was purchased back because of the issues. The second one was even worse than the first.

They're absolutely the worst car QC in the market. Hands down, garbage.

McLaren will never see another red cent of my money.

Here's my old thread on the first nightmare:
https://www.mclarenlife.com/threads/new-570gt-owner.80305/#post-1491305
I read through your previous thread (all five pages) and it was a good read. After you took delivery of the white 570S, what happened?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Another thing to consider when buying a McLaren is the huge hit you’re going to take when it comes to depreciation. I know cars depreciate, but I know from personal experience that few cars depreciate like a McLaren.
*looks at 2016 Corvette Z06 in garage
*feels bad

Now that is a car that has depreciated lol.
But not as bad as say...the Jaguar F-type R. oof

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
First, the good news...

1. McLaren has been growing at 50-100% per year for most of the past decade and has recently overtaken Lamborghini as the world's 2nd largest supercar maker.

2. McLaren is the VAG of the supercar world... Develop a couple of engines around ~4L, stick a huge turbo on top, and then platformize 5-10 "new" models for them, at different pricepoints, from fast to medium-fast to hyper-fast... Very efficient.

Now, the bad news...

3. The problems are piling up at an almost unmanageable rate.

4. Poor quality-control of the cars, poor aftersales, poor aftercare, poor dealer network, poor residuals, angry vloggers, the issues are as long as your arm.

5. So many recurring mechanical and electrical problems, such as cracked windscreens, dodgy gearboxes, unreliable startup, uncharged battery packs, etc. Online forums and vlogs are filled with tales of woe (e.g. Vehicle Virgins).

If McLaren don't sort it soon, a bust will follow the boom.

·
Registered
576 Posts
As a rule, I have a strong dislike for British cars as I have mentioned before on this thread. But on the subject of resale. I was talking with one of salesguys a Lambo Dallas, he said they would no longer take a McLarens on trade because they have three now they can't sell.
When my son was looking for a Porsche, two years ago, we went to a dealer who specializes in higher end cars and they had a McLaren 650s on the floor, I jokingly said "I want one of these" he said, "No, you don't". They had the car on consignment and the dealer had advised the guy who owned it not to buy it. So now they were selling it for him.

·
Registered
293 Posts
First, the good news...

1. McLaren has been growing at 50-100% per year for most of the past decade and has recently overtaken Lamborghini as the world's 2nd largest supercar maker.
McLaren sold 4806 units in 2018 and Lamborghini sold 5750 units. That's a long ways from 2nd. Both companies had over a 40% sales increase year over year, which really isn't that big of a deal with so few units sold.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My friend took delivery of his 600LT a few weeks ago and it's leaking oil. The dealer told him it will take at least a month to get the part to repair the leak. He waited 6 months to take delivery and wanted it for the summer driving season and now it seems like he might get his car back in August.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts