Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my first post here, so a quick introduction is in order.
My name is Simon and I'm a british expat living in Switzerland and your average car nut, but particularly classic models.

I've been looking to add another car to my little collection and have been all round the houses from Aston V8's, Ferrari Testas, Lambo Islero, Jarama, Iso Grifo and so on and so forth. Basically, I decided the flat 12 Ferraris where good value for money at the moment so started to look for a Testarossa but with an eye out for a bargain 512BB.

One saturday,two weeks ago I looked at 9 ferraris but in the last garage, totally by accident my eye was taken by a very evil looking, very green Countach LP400S. I'm in the process of moving house, so haven't been able to do much since, but when I think of my next car the green monster is all I can think about at the moment.

I've done the usual searches for typical problems, chassis rust, clutch, cracked gearbox housings. But any other insights or simply tell me I'm crazy, would be welcome.

In the next week or two, I'll go and drive the thing (the weather was bad when I went to see it) and compare it to another LP400S for sale close by. It is slightly dodgy looking backyard car dealer who has the car (I hope no one here knows him :), I think its his personal car) and it was resparyed in the eighties a very wierd looking green. I like the colour (please be kind about it) and the owner tells me its an original Lambo colour, but I'm not so sure...any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance, if I do take the plunge I'm sure I 'll be on here a lot looking for psychological support, amongst others suffering from this illness.

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
This car was once owned by the boss of the hells angels of Zürich it was originally red with white hide. The green was sprayed by an amateur, the leather did not convince me when I saw the car 2 years ago.
If it's very cheap (60k CHF) you can buy at own risk.
I don't know anything about the mechanical state of the car.

BTW: you missed the opportunity to buy this car: http://www.countach.ch/Atlas/index.html It was not for sale officially...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
raymond said:
This car was once owned by the boss of the hells angels of Zürich it was originally red with white hide. The green was sprayed by an amateur, the leather did not convince me when I saw the car 2 years ago.
If it's very cheap (60k CHF) you can buy at own risk.
I don't know anything about the mechanical state of the car.

BTW: you missed the opportunity to buy this car: http://www.countach.ch/Atlas/index.html It was not for sale officially...
Thanks for the advice Raymond. I also wasn't too impressed by the quality of the paint work but its not horrendous. The interior didn't look too bad, but it is priced about right I think. He's actually asking 78KChf, but its been for sale for a while so I'm hoping he would come down on that.

Basically its one to spend a bit of TLC on the next year or two. Mechanically, I would need to get someone who knows Countachs to give it the once over if I got as far as making him an offer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome to the board Simon. If you end up buying a Countach you will not regret it. The cars are a blast to own and drive. The best advise I could give you is to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done on the car by a reputable Lambo mechanic. It may cost you $500.00 to $1,000.00 USD, but what it could save you in the long run will be a whole lot more. It will also help you in negotiations over the price.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Simonl said:
Mechanically, I would need to get someone who knows Countachs to give it the once over if I got as far as making him an offer.
I can recommend you the Mechanic I made my engine overhoul with, perhaps you have seen, he had 3 Countachs in his showroom.
At the moment they are overhouling the carbs of the red one.

www.mdgarage.ch, it's 20 Kilometer south of Aarau.
Btw: we are passing you on sunday when we come back from germany, our club friends (Diablo VT and SV) are living in Neukirch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Simon

Have you looked at the red LP400S at Garage Affolter? It was immaculate when I saw it a couple of months ago. The leather did not look original but the engine and bodywork looked first rate.

Definitely worth a look

Craig

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
craig said:
Simon

Have you looked at the red LP400S at Garage Affolter? It was immaculate when I saw it a couple of months ago. The leather did not look original but the engine and bodywork looked first rate.
Craig
Which one are you referring on?
Colour/Hide/vin?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome guys.

Raymond, I'm very close to Neukirch, in Arbon at the moment but in the process of moving to St Gallen. Your mechanic sounds like he knows what hes doing, I'd like to speak to him before I do a test drive and certainly for a PPI if it goes that far.

Craig, The cars at Affolter are QV's and 25th Anni's I think and are a little more than I wanted to spend. Does he have a LP400S? I know he has the '75 LP400, but thats way out of my budget.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Raymond,

Would it be worth me bringing mine from Spain to your guy if and when the next major work is required. If you don't mind I would appreciate a cost assesment of the work you had done. I appreciate this is private information.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
seem there are a lot of 400's in your country.....
i have seen very few in italy
i missed one yellow/ red for 35000 euro, all others are over 50000 :(

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
terryjoint said:
Raymond,

Would it be worth me bringing mine from Spain to your guy if and when the next major work is required. If you don't mind I would appreciate a cost assesment of the work you had done. I appreciate this is private information.
If you want to, no problem. The cost for mine I don't know yet, we needed some hours more than calculated... anyway it will be a reasonable and fair price.
BTW he worked also in Italy and built race cars some years ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The search continues. I've rung about 2 other LP400S's. A 1981 and a 1982, both sold. While talking to the guy (Garage Aeschlimann in Bern) about one of those cars he told me he has another LP400 for sale. Its a fuel injected version. The price seems right. I'm going tomorrow to Bern to look at it.

What is the general thought on reliability and maintenance oof the 2V LP400 injection? I would have prefered a carb car to be honest.

Raymond, do you know the car? Its also on Autoscout24

http://www.autoscout24.ch/AS24Web/Detail.aspx?wl=1&lng=ger&id=2798501

He's offered me a much better price than the one listed. Perhaps I could speak to you on the phone Raymond if you have time this afternoon or this evening. I'd appreciate your advice.

Many thanks
Simon

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Simon,

if you check out that car tomorrow have a look for the purple one this Aeschlimann had for sale, I'm missing pictures and VIN of that car.

This blue one came originally from Volketswil, went to Autoforce in Hallwil, then to Carugati in Geneva, back to Autoforce and is now at Aeschlimann in Bern.
The engine is an enlarged Lp400s with fuel injection, the interior is well made and just great ime. I can't tell you about the engine since I saw this car always standing in showrooms.

IME the Wheels are to big for a Countach, the rest of the bodyworks looks OK.
If you inspect the car, drive it at check out for a new emission test, not to run into unknown troubles...

I'll call you this evening or just later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
raymond said:
Simon,

if you check out that car tomorrow have a look for the purple one this Aeschlimann had for sale, I'm missing pictures and VIN of that car.

This blue one came originally from Volketswil, went to Autoforce in Hallwil, then to Carugati in Geneva, back to Autoforce and is now at Aeschlimann in Bern.
The engine is an enlarged Lp400s with fuel injection, the interior is well made and just great ime. I can't tell you about the engine since I saw this car always standing in showrooms.

IME the Wheels are to big for a Countach, the rest of the bodyworks looks OK.
If you inspect the car, drive it at check out for a new emission test, not to run into unknown troubles...

I'll call you this evening or just later.

Thanks Raymond. Best to catch me on my mobile.

I agree the wheels look wrong. What would a replacement set of telephone dial wheels set me back? Is the engine enlarged or a astandard Injection LP400?

I originally rang up about the Purple Countach but that was already sold. I think It may have been collected yesterday. If it's there I'll take pictures.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I'll call you later...

The engine was stroked up to 5l, it was originally a LP400s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I asked and the original wheels are not available.
I'm also a little concerned about the engine modifications. Emissions, overheating. Also the lack of parts for what is effectively a unique engine.

Does boring out the LP400 leave enough cylinder wall thickness? I assumed the 5000 engine was a new block design rather than just a bored out 4litre.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi Simon,

welcome, in regards to the color, although Lambo had an acid green in the late 1960s and early 1970, (Miura) that is not it. Should you wish to repaint a differenmt color Bertone cars have the charateristic that the engine bay and trunk/front compartment are painted black. This greatly reduces the cost of changing a car's color.
Regards.

Alex

1 - 20 of 33 Posts