Lamborghini Talk banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
With all this Audi/VW talk do you guys think we can just go to a Audi/VW dealership or specialty shop and just get the oil service done there just tell them the Audi/VW filter part number and oil to get before the service appointment? If that makes sense.
I think the problem is that a VW shop will not know all the drain points or how
long it will take, and they wont want to touch a Lamborghini anyway.

An independent Audi place might be willing once you tell them its the same car
as an Audi R8.

Frankly, though, it's a 30 minute job. 45 minutes if you take your time. I'd say
just do it yourself. I'll post a video sometime next week.

^^^ Guys like AM and Wildcat make me want to try to do it myself, thank you guys for helping those of us who might need some encouragement. What I might do it try to tackle it on one of those Porsche or BMW Club DIY days when they have lifts available thru the club registry. Or I might buy the parts and take it over to my friends shop or something. Is there a higher performance version of the oil that I could try (in the case of a twin turboed engine?)

I have a LOC5 exhaust that comes with ceramic coating. Is it still necessary to wrap with the heat shield tape????

Hi Rob4092xx,:wave:

from my experience with my TT and measurement with my trusty infrared heat gun of the exhaust pipe temperature after the turbos on a ceramic coated portion of exhaust pipe with no heat tape and ceramic exhaust pipe with heat tape, I would definitely say yes.

A good heat tape wrap does move more heat to the exhaust tips, so just make sure you have enough insulation between the exhaust tips and where they pass through the rear bumper plastic section. The expensive lambo plastic tends to melt or harden and crack from my experience if not protected from excessive heat:(

The ceramic coaters would say that heat tape is overkill, but not from my real life experience. The more heat tape, the better IMHO:)

I would go so far as to say that if I had a oem lambo again, the first thing I would do is heat tape the whole exhaust system, muffler and all.

just my two cents worth

cheers,
john

Attachments

Discussion starter · #44 ·
^^^ Guys like AM and Wildcat make me want to try to do it myself, thank you guys for helping those of us who might need some encouragement. What I might do it try to tackle it on one of those Porsche or BMW Club DIY days when they have lifts available thru the club registry. Or I might buy the parts and take it over to my friends shop or something. Is there a higher performance version of the oil that I could try (in the case of a twin turboed engine?)
No worries!

Is your Gallardo TT?

Discussion starter · #45 ·

from my experience with my TT and measurement with my trusty infrared heat gun of the exhaust pipe temperature after the turbos on a ceramic coated portion of exhaust pipe with no heat tape and ceramic exhaust pipe with heat tape, I would definitely say yes.

A good heat tape wrap does move more heat to the exhaust tips, so just make sure you have enough insulation between the exhaust tips and where they pass through the rear bumper plastic section. The expensive lambo plastic tends to melt or harden and crack from my experience if not protected from excessive heat:(

The ceramic coaters would say that heat tape is overkill, but not from my real life experience. The more heat tape, the better IMHO:)

I would go so far as to say that if I had a oem lambo again, the first thing I would do is heat tape the whole exhaust system, muffler and all.

just my two cents worth

cheers,
john
You can also use a layer of Reflect-A-Gold around the tips on the bumper. It would look pretty bad ass, too.

Sunir

Just buy a two post portable lift. I have maxxjax about $2000 but it's wirth it. (Ask for round ligt pads instead of square which fits gallardo better)

I called lambo dealer to get washers for oil drain points and he said you only need 5 of them that means they do oil change incorrectly.

I trust my self more than the dealer as long as step by step instructions are available it's like logo blocks building something and disassemblong it.

AM I HAVE POSTED VIDEO ON you tube with a link on this forum demonstrating all 7 drain points clearly just in case you need it.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
One of them is TT the LP560-4 UGR with AWD and e-Gear the other is not, it's an LP560-2 50th Anniversario RWD with stickshift.
-LP w/ Warranty: Castrol Edge Professional LL03
-LP w/o Warranty: Motul 300V 5w-30

-UGR w/ Warranty: Mobil One 15w50
-UGR w/o Warranty: Motul 300v 15w50

UGR "requires" that all their cars, for warranty purposes, must use Mobil One
15w-50 oil. Would that stand up in court if something happened? 99.9% no,
and I'm sure that a company like Castrol or Redline or Royal Purple or Motul
would LOVE to stand next to you and counter UGR's claims that "Not
using Mobil One caused engine damage."

With that said, it's often times easier to pick your battles considering that
Mobil One is cheaper than the others too. Is it the "best"? Probably not.
Likely better to use Motul 300V outside your warranty period.

I was just thinking.....if I wrap the entire exhaust would this make the tips that much hotter making the plastic even more susceptible to damage? It seems like the tips would significantly increase in temperature as this will be the only place to dissipate the heat. Thoughts???

just my two cents worth

cheers,
john

Discussion starter · #53 ·
I was just thinking.....if I wrap the entire exhaust would this make the tips that much hotter making the plastic even more susceptible to damage? It seems like the tips would significantly increase in temperature as this will be the only place to dissipate the heat. Thoughts???
1) The increase in temperature won't be insanely more than you already have.
2) The reason he has some soot, etc. on his bumper is that he has a beast of a
Gallardo that is twin-turbo'd.
3) If you put the RAG on the bumper where the tips come out, it will reflect the
heat and you'll be fine. It reflects 80% of ambient heat.

-LP w/ Warranty: Castrol Edge Professional LL03
-LP w/o Warranty: Motul 300V 5w-30

-UGR w/ Warranty: Mobil One 15w50
-UGR w/o Warranty: Motul 300v 15w50

UGR "requires" that all their cars, for warranty purposes, must use Mobil One
15w-50 oil. Would that stand up in court if something happened? 99.9% no,
and I'm sure that a company like Castrol or Redline or Royal Purple or Motul
would LOVE to stand next to you and counter UGR's claims that "Not
using Mobil One caused engine damage."

With that said, it's often times easier to pick your battles considering that
Mobil One is cheaper than the others too. Is it the "best"? Probably not.
Likely better to use Motul 300V outside your warranty period.
Good to know AM... thank you. Both are under warranty the UGR is under the 2 year UGR warranty and the 560-2 is a 2014 so it's under factory warranty. UGR really stands by their builds so I'm sure Kevin would be supportive they have the best customer service hands down....great folks to deal with :)

1) The increase in temperature won't be insanely more than you already have.
2) The reason he has some soot, etc. on his bumper is that he has a beast of a
Gallardo that is twin-turbo'd.
3) If you put the RAG on the bumper where the tips come out, it will reflect the
heat and you'll be fine. It reflects 80% of ambient heat.
Hi AM and Rob,:wave:
the reason there was soot on the bumper is that the exhaust pipes from turbo didnt go all the way into the exhaust tips as they are attached to the bumper on the LP560's, so some exhaust gases were escaping before entering the exhaust tips. I had the exhaust pipes extended further into the tips, placed heat wrap tape between the two and no more problems:)

On the LP570 the exhaust tips are connected to the exhaust pipes and not attached to the body. So exhaust gases go all the way to the end of the tip:)

Placing reflective heat shield tape on the bumper where the tips come through the bumper is a good idea.

cheers,
john

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Hi AM and Rob,:wave:
the reason there was soot on the bumper is that the exhaust pipes from turbo didnt go all the way into the exhaust tips as they are attached to the bumper on the LP560's, so some exhaust gases were escaping before entering the exhaust tips. I had the exhaust pipes extended further into the tips, placed heat wrap tape between the two and no more problems:)

On the LP570 the exhaust tips are connected to the exhaust pipes and not attached to the body. So exhaust gases go all the way to the end of the tip:)

Placing reflective heat shield tape on the bumper where the tips come through the bumper is a good idea.

cheers,
john
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. When I was installing my muffler they specifically told me to make sure the exhaust went into the tips for that very reason!

41 - 60 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.