Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And no, I’m not referring to the 1955 Alfred Hitchcock movie ‘The Trouble with Harry’.

The troublemaker I’m referring to is one Harry Metcalfe of Harry’s Garage fame.

It all started in early January when Harry released a new video reviewing the Lamborghini Huracan EVO RWD. I was immediately taken with this stunning Blu Cepheus chariot and started to investigate the world of Lamborghini and its offerings.

The surprising part is that prior to Harry’s video I had absolutely zero interest in Lamborghini’s and was extremely content with my Aston Martin Vantage. Further, I’ve never even been in a Lamborghini or know anyone that owns one.

But Harry’s video kept bugging me and I found myself going back and watching it more times than I care to admit. It started to feel like I was cheating on the Aston and headed for yet another expensive slippery slope. Amazingly enough, even my wife thought it was ‘cute’ especially since it was in ‘Tiffany Blue’. I tried to correct her on the actual color name but that was a lost cause. I think the message was; if I bring home a Huracan in ‘Tiffany Blue’ there better be a small box to match.

Thankfully I found this amazing community and have been lurking for a few months reading a plethora of insights into these amazing machines. Unlike other acquisitions in my past (cars, homes, aircraft, boats, etc) where I was able to purchase these items quickly when a golden opportunity arose (read: great deal), it appears that this is not a current option with Lamborghini enjoying truly impressive sales figures with little or no discounts on the table for new, and pre-owned prices not trailing far behind.

So with the above, I will wait patiently until the strong tailwinds subside a bit on prices and possibly (and selfishly) wait until the headwinds arrive. In the meantime I thank you veteran Lamborghini owners for letting me hang around and learn.

Best..............Rob

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,860 Posts
Best of luck Rob, it’s a wonderful journey and it just gets better & better.

Reactions: Jetstream

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Welcome aboard! The journey is different for everyone, and I love hearing about everyones experiences.

So just go ahead and pull the trigger. It won’t disappoint. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Phew! I saw the title, immediately thought of Harry Metcalfe, and wondered if there really was trouble brewing. Glad to be wrong!

Welcome to a place of like minds and amazing teachers. I'm sure a certain blu Lambo will show up soon enough to also welcome you and let you know how great it will be once your eyes meet the prize.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you gentlemen for your kind welcome.

As mentioned, it is a journey and I look forward to every facet of it.

One question I have for current owners is how you first caught the Lambo Bug?

Did you always have Lamborghini in your sights or were you blindsided like me?

I would love to hear your stories from initial interest to acquisition.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,535 Posts
Welcome Rob.......great story and glad you joined the community!

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts

You asked for it...............my saga. 🤣

Rob as to your other questions I am new to the super world and had absolutely no interest in cars growing up. After retirement we were looking for another hobby and we thought of test driving some Sports cars and the first one we test drove was a 981 Porsche Cayman with the 6-cylinder NA engine. After the test drive my wife and I were so unimpressed we were about to walk off the dealership lot when the Porsche SA said they have a new 982 718 Cayman and asked if we would like to test drive it. The 718 Cayman is both a 4-cylinder and turbo charged. Boy the way that pulled low in the rev range we were hooked. We then asked to test drive a 718 Cayman S and that was better yet. So, rather than stopping there we thought we need to test drive a new 911 Carrera and a new 911 Carrera S thinking that we would have even more fun. Alas, the 911s were soooooooo boring and they felt like “family” Sports cars…….big yawn. Thus, we decided to spec out a 2018 718 Cayman S. After the 718 CS experience we looked around again and since we felt the non-GT 911s were kind of boring how about the Porsche GT cars so we then proceeded to get a new 2019 3RS and 2018 2RS which were great cars especially the 2RS but truth be told that 718 was the best overall experience we had.
We eventually bored of Porsche and looked around for the next toy, and since Ferrari have such dated looking interiors, we figured Lamborghini was worth a try. That is, Lamborghinis’ have beautiful interiors, exteriors, and those glorious 10-/12-cylinder NA engines. We then test drove a 2018 Huracan 580-2, and after that experience with that amazing 10-cylinder NA engine there was no looking back.
The other things I like about the Sports car hobby is both learning about the Sports car brands and the car detailing, and truth be told we have become both knowledgeable and proficient at car detailing. Lastly, the detailing dovetails into our other hobby which is physical fitness so we always manage to put in a good (>5 hour) “workout” ;) on our detailing days.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Rob are you going to be shopping for a Blu Cepheus Huracan........sorry Tiffany Blue Huracan?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lambo20XX -

I will start looking in earnest if and when the prices of pre-owned Huracan's lower a bit. As you well know being a serial Lamborghini purchaser, these are unprecedented times with premium prices ruling the day. While I could order new, (and the drain on my portfolio would only be a minor blip on the radar screen) my comfort zone is to wait as I have in the past until a truly fantastic deal surfaces and close immediately. This method has served me well for decades and has been financially rewarding.

I think my issue with paying premium prices is due to the fact that I lived in Asia too long. When I was one of the first foreign exchange students to go to China for graduate studies in the early 80's at Beijing University, I had no idea you had to negotiate for literally everything. Some street vendors would not sell to me unless I negotiated, even if I was willing to pay full price. Those negotiation battles were part of the purchasing process back then, but once tempers lowered and you apologized for insulting his grandmothers bound feet, the deal was sealed and both parties were completely satisfied.

I guess I am a product of my past experiences and some habits or purchasing methods are hard to break. I retired a few years ago at 55 and am probably too set in my ways to change, but I know from experience to never say never.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I understand your prospective, and of course, do what makes you comfortable and according to your own timetable.
Good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
276 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for your kind welcome.

As mentioned, it is a journey and I look forward to every facet of it.

You peaked my interest when you mentioned you are currently driving a Vantage. I had an '06 Carrera S manual for 10 years and was 'bored' enough to finally make a change. Initially Number 1 on my list was a 2012 Vantage V12 Manual trans. for that Glorious sound. ALMOST pulled the trigger on one in Tungsten Silver that came along just about to turn 10k miles. It sold literally days before I made up my mind, I was devastated......maybe things happen for a reason. It gave me more time to really consider the things that were important to me in a broader sense, not just the fact it was a V12 with a stickshift (that was what defined my ideal supercar at that time). Maybe there's more to it than that, I started to consider the overall picture. I admit I did not particularly care for the way it handled compared to my 911. You could FEEL the Weight in the front pushing through turns. On the other hand, I did not particularly like the way the 911 could get dicey in the back hitting a bump in the off-ramp. Hmmmm, notice all the popular supercars (Mclaren, Ferrari (non-GT cars), and Lamborghini) are all mid-engine?!
This is where my ensuing 'research' broadened my horizons. Ultimately I chose Lamborghini because it fit me as most likely the best choice for a Do-it-yourselfer due to its' Audi influence, and my familiarity there. This was meant to be strictly a weekend fun toy so there were a couple other boxes I could check off for ultimate fun that the Aston would have never done (it was just a Much More refined version of a heavily modified Mustang 5 speed I currently toy around if I NEED to drive a stick). I only recently realized that this Lambo is more car than I could ever handle.... or, maybe I should say it can handle more than I have the guts to attempt to throw at it... and I'm only talking about a Gallardo, you're looking at the replacement which surely I'll look into one day down the road..... My ADVICE to you: IF you haven't driven one yet, DO IT. It is a Completely different experience from a GT car. In your face different, the first thing you'll notice when you get in is that is seems there is no front end on the car. It may feel uncomfortable at first because you'll think you're going to hit something pulling up, only to get out and find you still have 3 feet or so to go, always coming up short..LOL

Reactions: AzusilApps

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FontueBluG -

Thank you for sharing your journey and thoughts regarding Aston versus Lamborghini.

First and foremost, you are obviously a man with fine taste as you liked the Aston in Tungsten Silver which just happens to be the color of mine. Your comment about the V12 being nose heavy is dead on and the main reason I chose the V8 which has a balance of 50/50. When you look under the hood, the engine is literally behind the front axle.

You mentioned being unable to see the hood or knowing exactly where the front of the Lamborghini is and the Vantage has the exact same issue. When I park, I always back in as I know where the rear of the car is as I am almost sitting on the rear axle. This also makes it easier when leaving as the visibility out the front windshield is considerable better.

I am under no illusion that the Huracan will be anything like the Aston. I view the Aston as an elegant and understated sports car that's perfect for taking the bride out to dinner or taking a leisurely drive through the countryside.

At the other end of the spectrum you have Lamborghini. I view this supercar as pure theatre and an amazing piece of sculpture. The lines are both severe and purposeful while looking like a piece of art on wheels. When the time comes to purchase a Huracan I think it will compliment the Aston well.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,328 Posts
I am loving this banter because the car I’ve always wanted in addition to what I have is an Aston V 12 Vantage. I agree with the last comment that it is a weekend car with the wife in the hills whereas she barely wants to go with me in the Lamborghinis because of the aggressive ride, or maybe it’s the driver!?

I also agree with Lambo 2018 that the line of Porsches, while great track cars and great in many respects, leaves me sad to say unimpressed. Too many, too same, but astonishing German engineering.

my sense is the Aston Martin will depreciate while you stare at it and I don’t necessarily trust it’s reliability, but it makes my heart go pitter patter for a touring car. I see a few test drives in my future.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Ive owned multiple Porsche's including 991 GT3 and while capable cars arent in the same league as Aston.

There's a beautiful V8V in my neighborhood which is interesting being there's no Aston dealer in my state. When I see it on the street it is achingly beautiful like a runway model. Sounds good too.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
At the other end of the spectrum you have Lamborghini. I view this supercar as pure theatre and an amazing piece of sculpture. The lines are both severe and purposeful while looking like a piece of art on wheels. When the time comes to purchase a Huracan I think it will compliment the Aston well.
I would go one step further in that the Huracan will not only compliment your other cars but be the centerpiece of your car collection. The Huracan, to me, epitomizes and embodies the heart and soul of the Sports car experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DiabloClyde -

Like most cars, the Aston will certainly depreciate (especially during the first few years) but I guess that is the price of admission. Those that have the V12 absolutely love them and I am sure you will too. With regards to reliability I have had zero issues. I think the ones that do have issues are a direct result of neglect or utilizing mechanics that are not qualified to work on a high end sports car.

This young man does a nice job on depreciation analysis that you may find interesting. The link is for the Huracan but he has other Lamborghini videos as well.

Surfah -

Where I live in the summer and winter there are no nearby Aston dealerships. The closest one is 255 miles away but I knew that when I purchased the Vantage. Although not ideal, when service is required I use a designated transport company that picks it up at my home and delivers it back after its service. Another option is to ask your neighbor where he gets his services as he may have found a qualified independent.

Albert -

You are 100% correct that a Lamborghini would be the center of my collection because I have no collection. Other than the Aston my other vehicles, although nice, are just transports. Wife’s barn car, dog car, Kubota tractors, right-hand-drive Jeep Wrangler etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts