Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
Great article thanks for posting! This article hits home and brings to mind the 992 911 Porsches and their digital displays and a "shaver" for a shifter; they just turn me off. I would go with a 991.2 before the new and improved 992.........though, unlikely since I have moved completely away from Porsche to Greener Pastures. ;)

Registered
I can support an analog is better than digital debate.
For example, I desire a 1965 Ford Mustang ... so simple, so fun.

Then to steal the thread there is LP records vs. Internet downloads of music.

So many of the pre 1970 (before computers, before smog, before seat belts LOL) cars are desirable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the most fun and engaging cars I have ever owned was my 1974 Porsche 911. It was like driving a go kart. Simple, basic, no black boxes to assist the driver. You use your brain and skillset. Just raw feel and fun. They are dumbing cars down so much now with all the computers and automation that assist you in every way. The feel is so much more artificial now and less tactile. The automation gives a less skilled driver the false feeling of competence when pushing the car but in reality it is the little black boxes doing most of the work.

Premium Member
@Tomaso, very well expressed and my response to Porsche is I will never buy a 992 and that should be our response to all car manufacturers that take their loyal customers for granted. Arrogance personified.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Tomaso, very well expressed and my response to Porsche is I will never buy a 992 and that should be our response to all car manufacturers that take their loyal customers for granted. Arrogance personified.
Porsche lost me even before all the black boxes and interior changes. When they went water cooled I was done. Last one I had was a my 1997 993 TT. The current Porsche has no appeal. The character of the car is not what a 911 should be or was.

Premium Member
Porsche lost me even before all the black boxes and interior changes. When they went water cooled I was done. Last one I had was a my 1997 993 TT. The current Porsche has no appeal. The character of the car is not what a 911 should be or was.
I have been into this supercar sport for only 3 years but even at my inexpert level the 992 is egregious. Bland, boring and uninspired. Then couple that with a salesforce that treats people with, at best, benign contempt and I am gone. I refuse to be a living version of a Whac-A-Mole.

Registered
I miss the go kart feeling of my Lotus Exige. Just so raw even compared to my Superleggera which many say is a blend of the old and the new. Thankfully there will always be older cars for us to buy. Unless the greenies succeed in wiping them out totally.

Premium Member
Unless the greenies succeed in wiping them out totally.
Oh you mean the Green New (Or)Deal? Are we headed toward outlawing fossil fuel? Rolling blackouts here we come.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I miss the go kart feeling of my Lotus Exige. Just so raw even compared to my Superleggera which many say is a blend of the old and the new. Thankfully there will always be older cars for us to buy. Unless the greenies succeed in wiping them out totally.
The Gallardo is much more old school than new. Thats what makes it such a drivers car. Last of the traditional Lamborghini's. Last of the classic Lamborghini's.

Registered
One of the most fun and engaging cars I have ever owned was my 1974 Porsche 911. It was like driving a go kart. Simple, basic, no black boxes to assist the driver. You use your brain and skillset. Just raw feel and fun. They are dumbing cars down so much now with all the computers and automation that assist you in every way. The feel is so much more artificial now and less tactile. The automation gives a less skilled driver the false feeling of competence when pushing the car but in reality it is the little black boxes doing most of the work.
They make me feel unsafe, honestly, because they give drivers less and less reason to be good and alert drivers as more tech arrives. Nissan had an ad a while back where they showed how the car looks out for you so you can enjoy watching the scenery more. I was appalled and disgusted; they're actively encouraging people to be worse drivers at this point, the worst part being that no one will protest it. I drive a lot of new cars almost daily for a job; the constant beeps and chimes get old super quick, as does the weight and safety nannies. If this is the future, my love of cars will either die or turn into a hatred once 100% full automation arrives.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They make me feel unsafe, honestly, because they give drivers less and less reason to be good and alert drivers as more tech arrives. Nissan had an ad a while back where they showed how the car looks out for you so you can enjoy watching the scenery more. I was appalled and disgusted; they're actively encouraging people to be worse drivers at this point, the worst part being that no one will protest it. I drive a lot of new cars almost daily for a job; the constant beeps and chimes get old super quick, as does the weight and safety nannies. If this is the future, my love of cars will either die or turn into a hatred once 100% full automation arrives.
Find yourself an old school car. Exotic, Sport, or Muscle car they all allow you to enjoy your driving passion.

Registered
I couldn't agree more about Porsche. The new 911s are HUGE and just don't feel like a sports car. They were not on my consideration list when I was looking for fun and ended up with the Gallardo. The manual Cayman is the car the 911 used to be only better because the engine is in the right place. I had a 1986 930 turbo. Talk about analog. No electronics to save you from the raw horsepower unleashed when that turbo kicked in. That was my idea of what a Porsche should be.

Now if you really want to go analog, jump into a 356, Triumph TR6 or Fiat 124 spider. Low horsepower and skinny tires really make you work for your fun. I love it.

Premium Member
I couldn't agree more about Porsche. The new 911s are HUGE and just don't feel like a sports car. They were not on my consideration list when I was looking for fun and ended up with the Gallardo. The manual Cayman is the car the 911 used to be only better because the engine is in the right place. I had a 1986 930 turbo. Talk about analog. No electronics to save you from the raw horsepower unleashed when that turbo kicked in. That was my idea of what a Porsche should be.

Now if you really want to go analog, jump into a 356, Triumph TR6 or Fiat 124 spider. Low horsepower and skinny tires really make you work for your fun. I love it.
Absolutely agree, in fact, I didn't even like the 991 non GT 911s. It absolutely felt like I wasn't in a sports car at all. They made the 911s so boring and civilized thereby sucking the fun out of them completely, and now the 992 has taken the 911 completely into the "family" sports car realm. :sleep: So my first Porsche, because I was late to the game, was a 2018 718 Cayman S that was far for exciting to me then either the 991 911 Carrera or Carrera S that I test drove. To be honest I wasn't even that overly impressed with the 3RS or 2RS either hence the Huracan. I guess Porsche made a decision to go after the "family man" that wants to look like they are driving sports car but not feel like they're driving a sports car, devoid of thrill or excitement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts