Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unfortunately this won't happen. The event has been won for the last few years by a very good local driver, Jim Richards, driving a Porsche 911 GT3. There's no reason to believe that he won't do it again - he knows the roads and conditions really well and he's a great competitor. The Gallardo will have a slightly better chance with its four-wheel drive if the conditions are extremely wet, but my money would still be on Jim in the porker. Mind you, Paul Stokell is pretty good. Might all come down to the reliability of the G car - it's a long tough event!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Yes, but all GOOD things come to an END............it is time for the dark side of the fence to take CONTROL>........on with LAMBORGHINI!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
youngwill100 said:
Unfortunately this won't happen. The event has been won for the last few years by a very good local driver, Jim Richards, driving a Porsche 911 GT3. There's no reason to believe that he won't do it again - he knows the roads and conditions really well and he's a great competitor. The Gallardo will have a slightly better chance with its four-wheel drive if the conditions are extremely wet, but my money would still be on Jim in the porker. Mind you, Paul Stokell is pretty good. Might all come down to the reliability of the G car - it's a long tough event!

I agree - the Porsche is better suited to the tight roads, and Jim knows the car and the roads well. Talking to Paul Stokell at the Melbourne Motor Show, he hasn't done many miles in the Gallardo yet, but he's very much looking forward to the event. Full marks to Lamborghini Australia for getting behind the team and to Stuart Appleby for taking on the second car. Here's Stuart's car on the show stand before roll cage etc are fitted.

·
Registered
173 Posts
yeah i'll be watching progress on this event closely, but not sure the Lambo will be vying for top spot. still, stokell's done it a few times... what in a lotus and a volksy or something??? and isn't he a local?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The Latest:

**Hot wheels**

Stuart Appleby is about to give new meaning to the golf term “playing fast.”

The Australian, who flirted with the first-day lead at Augusta National, plans to zoom home straight from the Masters and make his debut as a race car driver.

Appleby, who owns a Lamborghini, a BMW and several Mercedes-Benz, told The Australian he’ll drop off the PGA Tour trail for three weeks to get ready to drive in the Targa Tasmania tarmac rally from April 26 to May 1. At least the car will be familiar; Appleby owns a Gallardo, the same model he’ll drive for Team Lamborghini.

Appleby, who has an international rally license, met some Lamborghini executives in Australia and said he “lightheartedly” volunteered to drive in the rally.

“They got in contact with me not long after and said, ’Are you serious?’” he said. “I said, ’Absolutely, when are the dates?“’

·
Registered
12 Posts
:wave:

Guys, I just can't wait till Targa starts this year, I am from Tasmania and normally go to watch some of the stages when I can get out of work. I am especially excited to see how the Gallardo goes around the roads of my island state. Can't wait to hear the roar of the engine when the pedal is pressed out of some of those corners!

I am also astounded as to how much you guys know about this event. I didn't realise it got much international exposure.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Update!!

I'll do the driving, says Appleby!!!

Gavin McGrath
23apr05

IN-FORM Aussie golfer Stuart Appleby will ditch the driver to become a race driver next week.

Australia's second highest-world-ranked golfer at No. 17 will drive one of two $450,000 Lamborghini Gallardos in Targa Tasmania.
Appleby, who has a Lamborghini in his garage in Florida, has put his tour on hold to contest the unpredictable 2100km tarmac rally through the back roads of Tasmania.

He told the Herald Sun yesterday there wasn't a golf tournament in the world next week that held greater appeal than driving in Targa, which runs from Tuesday to next Sunday.

"The first consideration was what I was going to miss," Appleby said.

"I play 26 to 30 golf events a year and there's a lot of events that I'm missing anyway.

"Fortunately, I guess, there were no events I thought I had to play during that time so it's not having any negative effect.

"There's not a red-blooded man or woman who wouldn't want to get out and drive one of these cars and do what I'm doing. I'm just lucky enough that I happen to own one, happened to bump into someone, and a chain of events that led to this."

The Targa Tasmania drive is the result of a visit to Melbourne's Lamborghini dealership by the 34-year-old in December during his warm-up to the Australian golf tour.

After hearing about a driver vacancy in Lamborghini's Targa plans, Appleby put up his hand.

"I said, 'I'm your man'. I was part serious, but it was mainly light-hearted," he said.

"I had a drive round with (Lamborghini lead driver) Paul Stokell in a Diablo at Phillip Island and I decided there that I wanted to do it."

Appleby has earned the appropriate competition licences and will share the car with professional navigator Peter Burrey, but has no formal experience in motor sport.

"I've done plenty of track days but that's not quite like running through the hills of Tassie, which is pretty awesome," Florida-based Appleby said.

"I'm just aiming to finish the event.

"It's nice to have the fantasy you could be this or that, but I've had a few reality checks in the car next to Paul.

"Being a golfer you just think about yourself and what you've got to do that day to shoot a score. This is such a total team effort."

Targa marks the worldwide racing debut for Lamborghini's newest model, the Gallardo.

The event has been dominated by seven-time winner Jim Richards and Porsche in the past eight years, the veteran's unbeaten run interrupted by Subaru WRX driver Tony Sullens in unusually wet conditions last year.

The Porsches of Greg Garwood and Tony Quinn, along with Richards, are favoured to win, but lead Lamborghini driver Stokell, who has finished third in the Targa Tasmania in a tiny Lotus Elise, said the Gallardo should be able to match the German cars.

"I'm in a car that has the straight-line speed to win the thing," Stokell said.

"On paper this car should be a match for Jim Richards' Porsche. It's four-wheel-drive, got 300kW, but we've never raced one of these before."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15056610%5E11088,00.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tony Wilson

As sponsors of the Modern Competition of Targa Tasmania we are excited to see the Lamborghinis participating

It will add a great deal of additional interest and I am really curious as to how well they will go

We wish them a very succesful and safe event

Tony Wilson
www.drivetravel.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, on Sunday I went to the pre-competition Expo and took some photo's. Its great to see all the cars on the suburban streets as well but I got up close and personal with Stokell's Gallardo on display. They did okay in the Prologue which started yesterday, official racing is on Today. Stokell overshot a turn and lost a few seconds. Stuart Appleby was thrilled just to be out there racing the Gallardo.

This is me leaning on Stokells Gallardo:

And the interior:

Action shot from the Targa site:

Hope to get some more down the track (literally) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts