Lamborghini Talk banner

The Some of the Dumbest things you've done!

4K views 66 replies 15 participants last post by  Lee T 
#1 ·
I have to ask this one, because as of today I have now done this 4 TIMES!
I'm getting ready for my "FUN RUN" through Waikiki and I always get a little excited. So in my rush to get the car out and prep'd up, I pull off the car cover and jump in to back it out of the garage. Start up is hilarious, shakes the whole house. Anyway as I am pulling back I hear a noise that is getting to be a familiar one and I see my battery tender fly off the shelf and crash on the ground. I now realize I DIDN'T DISCONNECT IT! I can't believe I still do this but today proves I can. It always pulls out of the connector that goes to my battery thank God and does no damage, but I have to ask AM I THE ONLY ONE?

#2 ·
Welcome to the TFC Tender Flyer Club! :ROFLMAO: Seriously, glad that nothing is damaged!

I did the same thing once, but never again after I got a plug with led on/off switch! The led light is an indicator when the tender is connected. Otherwise, I would probably need a new tender every week.

#3 ·
Smart idea. I need a checklist for dummies, lol.

#5 ·
I have done it once, no damage, but now I just leave the battery tender on the floor just in case I do it again. I need to keep things in sequence, open garage door, unhook battery tender, close frunk, unlock car,... otherwise mistakes will be made.

#6 ·
like a pilot, gotta go through that “pre-drive“ checklist. Little things like forgetting my sunglasses can be annoying. Now I also have to get a Fresh mask When I drive.

Reactions: DXM31
#7 ·
Russ, you have to stop looking at things from the perspective of a glass half empty to a glass half full perspective. Let me tell you one of the smartest things you've done.......you were a Lamborghini owner early on and for many years. It took me three Porsches before I arrived at the promised land.

#10 ·
Have a friend who taught me this.

When you do something to the car where it should not be driven, like hook up a battery tender, put a red rag or a microfiber cloth under the drivers windshield wiper.

Visual reminder
That is a great idea. That should make it idiot proof even for me!

#11 ·
I got that topped. While I had the Jalpa engine on the test stand to run for the first time in 2 years I got so excited I forgot to hook up the fuel return line. My engine started and is spraying gasoline all over the garage . If I unhook the battery , it will spark. I chance it and unhook anyway. I had to squeege all the gas out. Man I was sweating bullets . The motor was right next to the car. If it had gone up , it would have been everything.

#12 ·
lol, I’m glad you survived that one, close call! it seems we all do crazy things when excitement takes over.

#15 ·
That’s kind Albert, and I thought the same thing the first couple of times I did mine. Now there’s no excuse. Maybe I just need to drive more often, but I get so excited to get on the road I tend to rush it.

#16 ·
I don't know if this is being dumb, but when I turn off the engine, I just get out of the car knowing it's in 1st. gear and the car won't roll away. At least it's never happened to me over the 13 years I've owned Lambos. I never employ the parking brake. Am I being dumb??

#17 ·
I never employ the parking brake. Am I being dumb??
Don't think so because I read if you don't drive your car too often leaving the parking brake engaged for long periods of time can be detrimental (see item #1 in link). Though, if you drive your Huracan frequently this point is moot.

#18 ·
If I am on level ground I never set the brake, putting it in park should be just fine.

#20 ·
OK, so not my Lamborghinis, but here's a fun and very dumb one. I spent a week building a table top in my garage, a temporary attachable large top to place on top of my 6-top table to turn the same table into a 10-top for Thanksgiving. (Its the thing you do to avoid having to buy a whole new expensive piece of furniture that the wife wants...) At any rate, it was on the floor of the garage over plastic drop cloth where I had just finished the second of what would be 3 gloss finish coats over the stain - looked gorgeous and for sure a store-quality fit and finish. Despite working on this every night for a week, coming home that night I'm on the phone with my brother chatting away, opened the garage door, and proceeded to drive right over the table top in its 1-day-from-finished condition.

I learned that night to do things to remind me like place a stool in front of the garage as a reminder or, as Doug Porsche noted, a red microfiber towel under the wiper as reminders.

#22 ·
I am sorry but I had to laugh because that sounds just like something I could do!

#23 · (Edited)
I had an old car I was doing rally cross with. I replaced the fuel pump and put on fresh fuel lines. Car ran better, but half way through a race, it seemed starved for fuel and would barely run. I had to give it tons of throttle to keep it going. Problem persisted all day. Managed to get home and found that I had forgot to tighten the hose clamps. All of the fuel lines were in place, but the clamps were swinging on the hoses. Gas leaking everywhere. Easy fix, but so dumb. Lucky I did not burn it down.

(In my defense.... a friend was helping. He worked the lever on the old discarded pump to see how it worked. It sprayed gas directly in my eyes.... so there were some distractions during the assembly process. Garden hose in my face. Checking to see if I needed a doctor. Etc.)

#24 ·
While driving the Jalpa, I went over a plastic bag that was blowing around on the freeway. I got home and smelt a serious burning odor coming from the engine bay. I panicked and got the extinguisher. Turned out the plastic bag had gone under the car, sucked up into the engine bay, and wrapped itself all around the exhaust. For several months the car would smell like burning plastic when it got warm. I guess the dumb part is that I went into a panic every time I drove it for months.

#25 ·
I always worry about running over plastic or any kind of bag for fear that it might get sucked up somewhere and cause a problem. If I can't avoid running over it I look in my rear view mirror and hope I see it go out the back end.

#26 ·
Mark , I would have loved to hear the string of words you connected after that little incident. Chris, looks like you and I are brothers in unconnected fuel lines. I have another really funny one. This was in my Hummer. I kept smelling gas really strong so I had my wife call the shop. I checked under the hood etc. but saw no leak. She set up a tow truck since I was afraid to drive it. She came in , cancelled the tow truck and said she fixed my truck. I said no way. She proceeded to show me the tipped over gas can in the bed that leaked every time I drove it. You cant see down in the bed of an H2 SUT unless you are looking over the edge or open the gate.Now that is dumb.

#30 ·
In reading this thread, I am surprised there is no mention of drinking a whiskey, in USA, called Yukon Jack and doing dumb things. :)
I've done so many dumb things and perhaps the dumbest; opening the refrigerator, placing my car key on shelf, then forgetting and not being able to find the key for days.

#31 ·
I left my cell on the roof of my car and didn’t realize it until I turned the corner and sped off. I backtracked my course and found it in pieces along the street. The only part that wasn’t damaged was the neoprene cover.

Reactions: Sakura and Ohlgren
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.