Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know, I recently acquired a 2004 Murcielago with a manual transmission. This Murcie has some extremely unique upgrades including a full LP670 SV appearance package (sounds more refined than kit).

I had some time to drive the car and am absolutely in love with it, but am definitely looking to restore it to it's former glory and bring the car back to the pristine condition that it once was.

As I was driving it I made a list of all the issues I noticed and want addressed.

1. Inspecting all rubber seals and gaskets to prevent leaks from water and fluids. Cleaning out all drains so rain water / car wash water flows properly through channels.

2. Inspect and correct small electrical issue causing driver's side tail light to fail and also cause driver's side turn signal to illuminate.

3. Replace the IPE exhaust system with a custom, x-pipe exhaust system (along with the removal of the cats and a custom tune). If anyone is interested in a valved IPE exhaust system, please let me know.

4. Inspect, tighten and replace all bolts and screws that are corroded or missing.

5. Inspect and correct squealing / loud belt that can be heard on cold start.

6. Address and upgrade the OEM brakes and rotors to either ceramic brakes and rotors or big brake kit upgrade for larger brakes and rotors in steel.

7. Address and replace the leaking rear main seal.

8. Inspect and correct shift linkages for a tighter / smoother shift.

9. Inspect and replace damaged carbon trim pieces.

10. Upgrade steering wheel to thicker, carbon wheel.

11. Refinish front, lower fascia and metal grilles along with side skirts and rear lower fascia (diffuser).

12. Inspect and replace engine latch so it properly "pops" open.

13. Adjust driver and passenger door lock mechanism.

14. Inspect and rebuild front Koni shocks due to leaks.

15. Upgrade rear back-up camera.

16. Inspect and potentially upgrade head unit.

17. Inspect and align front bumper to sit more flush / tight with hood and front fenders.

18. Upgrade current battery with more powerful battery for better engine crank capability.

19. Inspect rear radiator fans to ensure proper cooling.

20. Upgrade 20/22 ADV1 wheels to 20/21 HRE wheels for better fitment. If anyone is interested in the ADV1 wheels, please let me know.

I'll try and document the process as we tackle each item and I'm sure this list will continue to grow. Only thing that has been done since receiving the car has been a new A/C compressor that was installed. Let me know if you have any suggestions or questions. Obviously, all fluids will be changed and a service will be done prior to the completion of the project.

Here are some pictures, as it sits now. The last photo shows both of my cars on the lift, with the McLaren coming home tomorrow (hopefully).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Send your shocks to John Custer in Ohio. He is the only one that puts upgraded seals so they last longer. And he was much faster turning them around from what I have heard of the other companies doing this service.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Also make sure your accessory belt is aligned correctly on the AC pulley. This is a common mistake for mechanics to make and it will eventually cause the belt to fail and then cause collateral damage such as overheating the engine or damaging pulleys.

I don't want to try to recall which side of the pulley it goes on the AC (belt is smaller than the number of grooves on the pulley) in case I tell you wrong, but I did a DIY on the lambo power forum.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking forward to seeing the progress!

PM sent regarding the exhaust.
Thank you! Looking forward to posting updates along the way.

Send you shocks to John Custer in Ohio. He is the only one that puts upgraded seals so they last longer. And he was much faster turning them around from what I have heard of the other companies doing this service.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have his contact information? If so, feel free to PM.

The extra groove is toward the engine side
Thanks to you and Stimpy for the suggestion here. This was actually the first thing my guys checked (very familiar with Murcies). I'll let you know what we find out.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Congrats brother! I love the murcies but the maintenance and fixes are so not cheap. Hard to loose money on this manual one though!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Congrats brother! I love the murcies but the maintenance and fixes are so not cheap. Hard to loose money on this manual one though!
That's true, if you are paying someone to do the work for you, especially a dealer, or if you are unkind to your clutch by launching all the time.

If you do your own work, and you cross shop the parts (usually 1/10th the price of the same part from Lambo), it's not too bad. Just about anything can be done with the engine in the car except for the clutch (and many e-gear issues, if you have an e-gear).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just about anything can be done with the engine in the car except for the clutch (and many e-gear issues, if you have an e-gear).
There's a guy who claims he's done a clutch change on a manual with the engine in. Think he posts here. I guess if you've done it before and know where the bits go, you can do it through the small gap he created between engine and gbox. Otherwise it's a good reason to refresh hoses, clamps chassis paint etc etc while the engine is out.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So a quick update here. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow. We have removed the entire rear end of the vehicle and have started inspecting and ordering parts that are going to be replaced. It's quickly become a laundry list of items. In addition to the random parts being replaced, I am most likely going to just remove the entire engine and acid wash everything to clean it up. I'm debating taking all of the carbon in the vehicle and sending it out to make it forged carbon (including the engine bay and steering wheel). The rear main seal that was leaking has caused lots of issues and will most likely result in a new clutch as well. I have sent out the shocks to be rebuilt and look forward to getting those back. Release bearing, random pulley, water pump, etc. all being replaced. This is just the beginning!

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's a random pulley?

What problems specifically did the rear main seal leak cause?

Was the water pump leaking?
One of the pulleys was squeaking really bad on a cold start so I'm replacing that. The rear main seal leak caused oil to get everywhere and it drenched my current clutch. The water pump was leaking and also seemed to be failing in general. The thermostat also went bad.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
One of the pulleys was squeaking really bad on a cold start so I'm replacing that. The rear main seal leak caused oil to get everywhere and it drenched my current clutch. The water pump was leaking and also seemed to be failing in general. The thermostat also went bad.
Ok, makes sense.

It will make it easy for your to change all the hoses while the engine is out. I have done every coolant hose in the engine bay, but not the coolant hoses that run along the side sill.

And I have done most of the power steering return lines. I would recommend doing all the vacuum hoses while the engine is out since that's cheap and easy, and the little plastic vacuum T connectors that are known to crack and cause vacuum leaks.

With your engine out and no FWD, it will be really easy for you to replace the long lift system hose too. That's on my list. Mine sweats like everyone else's at this age, so it's time to replace that before it fails on the road.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, makes sense.

It will make it easy for your to change all the hoses while the engine is out. I have done every coolant hose in the engine bay, but not the coolant hoses that run along the side sill.

And I have done most of the power steering return lines. I would recommend doing all the vacuum hoses while the engine is out since that's cheap and easy, and the little plastic vacuum T connectors that are known to crack and cause vacuum leaks.

With your engine out and no FWD, it will be really easy for you to replace the long lift system hose too. That's on my list. Mine sweats like everyone else's at this age, so it's time to replace that before it fails on the road.
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will definitely make a note to change all hoses / lines. As we have made progress, I have continued to add parts to my list. We will be replacing the current ECU with a Syvecs unit for full control of the car and upgrading the current throttle bodies to Bosch throttle bodies (the ones found on the 09 LP640s).

Below is a picture, as of today (not sure why it uploaded sideways). As you can see, we have removed the engine and transmission from the car. The clean-up process will begin tomorrow. I've decided to repaint all the black trim pieces on the car as well (due to underside scratches and chips).

Attachments

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While its out, perhaps adjusting the valves and rebuilding the starter might be a good idea as well.
Appreciate this as well. We already had plans to do both of these items. Thank you for the suggestions. I'm trying to knock everything out as this has clearly become a very big project.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update here for all of the guys who were subscribed at the start. I have not forgotten about you all and have wanted to post the progression, although I have not taken any photos as of yet.

As we started taking the car apart, it became apparent that the quality of specific pieces (OEM & aftermarket) were not up to par so the list that we started with quickly grew to an absolutely insane parts list. Since this is a car I really have no intentions of selling any time in the near future, I decided to order just about everything on the list and have basically replaced anything that could potentially fail or is commonly known to fail. We noticed the wiring on the car was absolutely hacked up and have essentially rewired every square inch of the vehicle. In addition, we have completely disassembled the interior due to the water leaking into the car from what appears to be incorrectly installed door seals. This made us believe there may be rust issues. Thankfully, the water did not do too much damage other than soak the subwoofer and the box, both of which will be replaced. I may have sourced a solution to the ceramic brake upgrade and I believe I have decided on a complete (I mean a real complete) titanium exhaust system.

We are making great progress now that all parts have arrived and I'm expecting to have the car completed over the next month. I can't wait to share photos with you all once it's back together!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Intimidating project, great to follow along and learn. Which model are the ADV1 wheels? Curious about the fitment aspect and what you'll improve with a 21" rear. I'm hunting for an LP640 coupe and may buy wheels before the car if the right set comes along. Side note, if anyone has experience with any wheel/offset difference, etc. between the Non-LP and LP cars I'd love to hear more. Much appreciated.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Intimidating project, great to follow along and learn. Which model are the ADV1 wheels? Curious about the fitment aspect and what you'll improve with a 21" rear. I'm hunting for an LP640 coupe and may buy wheels before the car if the right set comes along. Side note, if anyone has experience with any wheel/offset difference, etc. between the Non-LP and LP cars I'd love to hear more. Much appreciated.
Thanks very much. The ADV1 wheels on the car were apparently custom built for the previous owner of the car who was friends with the previous owner of ADV1, but they are honestly a bit much for me since they are 20" up front and 22" in the rear. I'm most likely going to be swapping them out for a set of 20" / 21" HRE wheels, which is more my style. These wheels would absolutely not work on any AWD Murcielago, but if the car is going to be RWD or already is converted to RWD then it will not be a problem. With all of that being said, they do look pretty badass on this traveling circus of a car. :cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts