Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another post got me thinking about my biggest regret and "what if" car story.

I had a chance to buy a P400 Miura in 2000 for $85,000.

In the year 2000 I saw my Jalpa come up for sale locally. I went and saw it and fell in love. I was 27 and doing really well financially. My job was great and I was riding the pre-tech-bubble boom. I had been saving for a couple years with intention of buying a Lamborghini. Countach was the goal and I went to look at the Jalpa to get more informed on what a Countach would be like. I saw the Jalpa and fell in love. I started to call around asking local shops about getting it worked on. They all advised me to look elsewhere and I ended up seeking out the closest Lamborghini expert to Portland OR.

I wound up Calling Al Burtoni's shop in northern California. At the time, his shop was the arguably the top Lamborghini shop in the US. I got on a call with a super friendly woman there and she filled me in on their Jalpa work. "We don't work on the V8s. We specialize in the V12. The V8 is a very different engine."

We bantered back and forth about the Jalpa for a few minutes and then she said.... "If you are thinking about getting an older Lamborghini, we have a Miura here in our showroom for sale. It is a P400, one of the early cars. It is a great driver. Mechanically sound, but not a concourse car. We are asking $85,000 for it. The car is a beautiful metallic midnight blue with a white interior." I had never seen a Miura in person. I was a Countach and Diablo guy. I thanked her for the info and told her I was not interested in the Miura.

The next year I went to car week in Monterey and saw several Miuras in person. I immediately wished I had found a way to buy that one when I had the chance. Miuras had gone up to about $100,000 over the last year and a good Countach was selling around $70,000. By all accounts the Countach was a way better car. The Miura was out of fashion and the Countach seemed like a way better deal to most people. Older Lamborghini prices were down partly because the Mercielago was about to come out.

Fast forward 20 years and I kick myself for not buying that Miura 20 years ago. I think the color scheme would have been spectacular. To think I could have had a Miura to enjoy for the last 20 years kills me. Sure it probably would have broken me with repair bills, but all those years with beautiful midnight blue Miura......

I never saw it in person. I always wonder what happened to that car. I still daydream about what things would have been like had I bought a P400 Miura instead of my Jalpa.

......I also thought about cashing in my retirement fund to buy the Lamborghini Bravo when it came up for auction a few years ago. Not sure if I could have won that auction, but another dream car I did not pursue and kind of regret not going after.

Does anyone else have a "one that got away story"?

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,544 Posts
I had a test drive in new 1973/74 Ferrari Dino 246 spyder. The sticker was $16,500.00. I fell in love with it and I took it home that day. Thought it over and it was just too much money at the time, decided to return it. Today it would be worth $350 to $400K. I still love the design of that little car. I remember how fast I thought it was with a 0-60 in 7 secs!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
1973 911S
Bought it for $10k and gave it away($8000) starving college student and needed the
Money.
Almost purchased but did not because I was too conservative
Lamborghini Miura in 1996
Lamborghini 350gt 1997

I learned my lesson

·
Registered
212 Posts
FWIW My got away was a '65 Pontiac GTO, black on black coupe, 389 with single 4 barrel, 4 sp.
May not have appreciated like a Miura, but kind of wish I still owned that car.
I'd have but a six pack on it by now :)

Red Tan 512 TR and Orange Black Diablo Roadster, some time ago, both at the $125K purchase level. Kind of sad I did not purchase the Diablo. The 512 still like it, but the maintenance stories make me not as sad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I came in here happy and now feel depressed . LOL.

does anyone remember the guy that traded a 2005 Ford GT for a yellow 2005 Gallardo?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Way too many:
A real AC Cobra with a 260V8 for $23,000 from the original owner, they only made 75 260's talked myself out of it because of the 260 wanted a bigger motor.
A Lotus Cortina, loved those cars as a kid and found one for $2300, the last one I saw for sale sold for $89,000.

I looked at a Countach and noped right out, I think it was $39,000 in the early 80's. The only reason I mentioned it is because what they are worth today. I still don't want one.
I had a '76 930 I bought in '79, sold it just before the prices on those car went nuts. I sold it for what I paid for it 14 years later.
Plus others

1 - 6 of 6 Posts