Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the things noted on the PPI of my 2014 Roadster was an OEM battery.

I know these cars have super capacitors and if they become discharged all sorts of untoward events can happen.

With this in mind, I thought it was time to change a 7 year old battery, regardless of whether the car was acting up now, or not.

Also, I did not want to disconnect the battery from the car and leave the car unattached to a battery for any longer than needed, so I did not have a battery to bring with me and compare to batteries out in the wild.

Well, after much searching there were many conflicting reports, especially on here, saying that the car needed to be reprogrammed at Lamborghini etc.... and I had many questions.

I called Lamborghini for a part number and a battery group size. Well, all they could get me was a part number that was clearly marked on the battery.

I watched a couple of videos I was able to discern that the car needed either or a group 47 battery or HG5 battery.

Every place I went to Napa, Interstate Battery, etc.. (more on this later) did not recognize that battery size! Ugh. I spent the better part of a day driving between Audi and Volkswagen dealerships (My nearest Lamborghini Dealership is ~150 miles away) and I could not find a battery.

Well, one of the batteries that Audi brought out had an H6 sticker on it, and I remembered a video saying that an HG6 battery was too big! I decided try if an H6 was the same as an HG6 and ask for the dealer to see if they had an H5 battery! Alas, they looked at me like deer in headlights....

This solidifies my view of dealers- they may know a little more about the procedure to do stuff, but they are NOT smarter than me and, more importantly, they don't care about my car more that I do.

But I digress, a quick google search of "H5 AGM" battery showed a bunch of Autozone Stores that had a bunch in stock!! I probably drove by 5-6 of them on my travels!

I quickly drove over there and sure enough, the H5 battery size matched my size diagram and they had it in an AGM battery!!

Finding the battery was BY FAR the hardest part of changing the battery in my car.

So to sum up, the Aventador uses an H5 sized battery with AGM chemistry. This is also known as a Group 47 battery.

AGM means Absorbent Glass Mat-this helps reduce acid splashing about in a crash.

Now onto actually getting to the battery.

Myth: You need to take off the hood to be able to take out the tub.

Truth: It is a little tight at the front corners and the windshield washers.

There are 6 torx bolts on the front trim piece and 6 torx bolts that hold the trunk in and out comes the tub.

The tub rubs here:

These are the windshield washers that rub the tub as well. Just be careful moving the tub slowly.

My car has this boot release lever, it has 8 torx bolts that you can undo and just pass the handle through the hole in the tub.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I chose to leave the tender connected and the 12v cigarette lighter does not have to be disconnected from the car. I just moved the tub out of the way, there was plenty of room.

This is the front trim piece that needs to come off.

The tub sits nicely out of the way.

Now you have full access to the battery. The super capacitor sits to the right of the battery.

These are the dimensions of the battery.

The H5 AGM battery on top of the OEM battery. The fit is VERY tight and no other battery would fit.

The OEM battery has a vent that new battery has a hole for too.

I covered the battery connections with some rags while I placed the new battery in place.

Assembly is the reverse and straight forward.

I went to start the car and crossed my fingers. No new messages or lights on the dash! I took the car out for a drive and it drove like a champ.

Voila!!

This was VERY easy and straight forward to do. The car was disconnected from the battery for at most 5 minutes while the car was still connected to the battery tender through the 12V cigarette lighter.

In short, buy a battery before you start and the battery is an H5 AGM battery available at your local Autozone!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
283 Posts
nice write up and am sure you saved a ton from having the dealer do it. Have a 15 and was thinking the same thing, its time to do this preventative replacement to avoid and downstream issue.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Very well done, thank you for sharing. Just a bit concerned about the pile of munitions on the shelves.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the dealer quoted me $560 just for the battery, which they didn't have in stock of course.

And Murciful, those are just my toy airplanes! Ha!

·
Premium Member
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder X2, STO (inbound), Ferrari 458 Spyder,
676 Posts
The SV battery is also an H5. Same install by the way. I went with a Lithium anti-gravity battery and saved 25 lbs in weight as a bonus.

·
Premium Member
Aventador Roadster Extreme Edition, Huracan Performante, Gallardo Performante
2,303 Posts
This thread is GOLDEN and needs to be PINNED. I screenshotted pics of the writeup just in case i have problems finding this thread in the future.

·
Registered
467 Posts
How the hell do you get the bolts holding the bracket that secures the battery in place off? Seems that step was left out.

Unbolt the 2 from the front that hold the supercap down, and then you need a long socket to get to the one to the left side of the battery near the back.

·
Registered
2017 Aventador S
209 Posts
I wanted to post these images of the screw and bracket you have to remove before the battery can be removed. You do NOT have to remove the bracket above the battery, that is where I ran afoul during removal. Also, if you remove the small plastic covering in front of the frunk tub, it makes it WAY easier to remove the tub and get it back in place when the job is done. No need to take off the hood.

I left my trickle charger on while I had the battery disconnected and the car started right up with no codes at all. I did have an issue where the driver's side window wouldn't go all the way back up. It had dropped down to allow the door to be opened, but wouldn't seal back up, it just stayed in the slightly lowered position. So I drove the car around with the windows down for a bit, then rolled them all the way back up no problem. Got out and window sealed again like its supposed to. No idea why that happened but driving the car fixed it for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts