Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross shopping a 488 spider vs evo spyder. Wanted to hear everyone’s 2 cents on this forum about why I should get the evo spyder instead. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,225 Posts
Both nice cars...drive both and pick one. Can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I own both. Great vehicles. Completely different
As an owner of both, could you elaborate on this? Would love to hear your opinion on how they are completely different

Reactions: JesseRohr

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure how much help I can be as I have NOT driven or riden in an EVO, but I will say, the 488 is NOT that impressive of a car, looks, speed, handling, etc. BUT, if we're talking Pista or F8, we're talking. First hand experience with all 3 ('18 488, '19 Pista, '20 F8). Sorry, just do not recommend the 488. Can't see it remotely comparable to the EVO, from all I know about the EVO and friends that have both or have had both.

V.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There's another recent thread here that has ton of replies, in general the overall feedback was 488 is softer, subtle, overall quieter, without the "Flair" that we all know any Lambo gives. Also depends what youre looking for. 488 is not comparable to Evo more to a 610.

If sound and roar type experience is an issue for you this car isnt for you. I have a friend with that has a fully custom exhaust , tune etc you name it and still doesnt sound good. A little whirl but no "roar" barely compares to a stock 610. You will def fly under radar for an exotic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No comparison in terms of sound. Buy the evo spider. Unless you really just want the styling of the Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I had a Huracan LP610 for 3 years and traded it in last February for a 488, while it looked nice driving experience did not come close to the excitement and fun my Huracan gave me. Tried to like it but couldn't, then got very turned off on the brand when they lied to me about the free yearly service. So after 8 months I got rid of it for an Evo spyder and extremely happy with it. Have you gone on F-Chat? Spending time there made me dislike 488 even more as there is a lot of negativity towards the 488 there, nothing like how people feel about their cars here

Reactions: EVORWSP and azzurri

·
Registered
250 Posts
In the Spider versions, one big difference will be fit - if you're above a certain height. I have the 458 Spider and an F8 (Spider) on order, and depending on how it shakes out, also a STO.

Blu would be a good barometer about the 488 and the comparison, but I assure plenty of folks I know that have 488s absolutely love them. Ferrari's games about the yearly service can be explained away by 'technicalities in the verbiage of the contract' as they did the same thing to me with the 458 (they didn't change the oil at its annual service because the car hadn't been driven over a certain number of miles). But I drink Ferrari Kool Aid, so don't rely on me.

I love the looks of the The EVO RWD Spyder, the cockpit, and certainly - the V10 sound. With an aftermarket exhaust, the 488 can be made to sound pretty good (but remember, it is a turbo), so I think it really boils down personal preference. I do wish the Lambo had a bit more inside space, and they could step it up with a hard top vert.

Finally, you'll get a much better deal on a 488 right now as they've taken quite a depreciation hit. The EVO Spyder being a relatively new model is really holding value. The 458s are also really holding value, too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Evo will give you a much more emotional driving experience! You must drive both to really see what everyone is trying to tell you in this thread. They are such different cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a '17 610 & a '19 488. Here's my run down.
Sound - 610, but for having turbo's the 488 is actually pretty good. i have a 360 as well and the 488 isn't as far off as people decry it for being
Steering and feel - 488 for me, better neutral turn in. AWD certainly influences this
Styling - totally personal, both are great, ferrari has softer lines, 610 is more angular and aggressive
Speed - 488 is slightly faster, its not that material. If we're talking tracking or non straight line driving I have more trust in the 488 carrying speed into a corner, it feels more predictable
Interior - toss up, I like the layout of the 610 more, but the seats and finish in the 488 is better in my opinion (very little plastic)
Attention factor - if this matters to you it's the 610 or EVO. Sitting next to each other people tend to comment on the lambo more

I like the idea of driving both, you'll figure out which is "your" car.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,027 Posts
In the immortal words of Frank Sinatra.........Enough said!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,027 Posts
On a serious note, I could never buy a Ferrari and deal with those very dated interiors but, to each their own.

·
Registered
2021 Lamborghini SVJ Roadster, 2020 Ranger Rover Velar SV, 2019 Audi RS 5
60 Posts
Do you like the soft top on the evo spyder? For some, including myself, that was a deal breaker. If you were comparing coupe to coupe, my preference would be the evo. More aggressive downshifts, pops, overall fun factor. Having an open roof was a must for me so I went with the SVJ roadster.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
488 Spider is last generation vs Evo Spyder current generation. Maybe a more appropriate comparison is F8 Spider vs Evo Spyder.

Are you a N/A or turbo guy? I prefer the more linear throttle response and high RPM of a N/A car. Sound and emotion are very important to me. I had that with my 458 Spider. I didn't think I would get that with the 488. My friend has a 488 GTB, the sound is weak. I was invited to the F8 launch and starting the engine was an immediate deal breaker. I don't believe you can mess with the GPF to improve sound without risking warranty with my strict dealer. The looks of the F8 are derivative it's based on the 458 which is an 11 year-old model. The rear reminds me of a Chevy. The Lexan engine glass looks fragile and prone to discoloration with engine heat and cracks. I have no interest in trading my Huracan for an F8. I am interested in getting an EVO RWD sometime in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
15,834 Posts
Both great cars, for me it just comes down to sound and design, and Lamborghini hits it our of the park on both.

·
Registered
250 Posts
488 Spider is last generation vs Evo Spyder current generation. Maybe a more appropriate comparison is F8 Spider vs Evo Spyder.

Are you a N/A or turbo guy? I prefer the more linear throttle response and high RPM of a N/A car. Sound and emotion are very important to me. I had that with my 458 Spider. I didn't think I would get that with the 488. My friend has a 488 GTB, the sound is weak. I was invited to the F8 launch and starting the engine was an immediate deal breaker. I don't believe you can mess with the GPF to improve sound without risking warranty with my strict dealer. The looks of the F8 are derivative it's based on the 458 which is an 11 year-old model. The rear reminds me of a Chevy. The Lexan engine glass looks fragile and prone to discoloration with engine heat and cracks. I have no interest in trading my Huracan for an F8. I am interested in getting an EVO RWD sometime in the near future.
In all fairness, the Huracan, from which the EVO evolved, is 7 years old. It would certainly be a stretch to say the EVO is anything more than a refresh.

Looks and beauty are purely personal, and I’m sure if you asked 100 people, there’d likely be a pretty even split. Let’s agree that both supercars have their strengths and weaknesses, not only in looks but in performance as well.

With the ever tightening regulations being put into effect, supercars are pretty quickly migrating away from NA, with Ferrari already taking that direction with the 488. Even the Lambos have started installing GPFs, and there is no guarantee they won’t show up - perhaps sooner than later - even in the venerable STO.

If sound were my top priority, I’d be shopping for an EVO. Just like the gated 6 speed transmission, we have to accept the disappearance of many aspects of supercars that made them so appealing.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
11 years vs 7 years is a significanct difference. The F8 is the 3rd iteration of the 458 while the EVO is the 2nd. The interior of the EVO is significantly different with the large touchscreen. The interiors of the 458 488 and F8 look derivative and dated to me and I owned one. It was dated back in 2014 compared to the Huracan.

Everyone knows the F8 is a stopgap model to fill in before the TTV6 Hybrid in which the Pista engine was stuffed into a regular production car. If the Hybrid was ready the F8 may never have come to market.

The STO may have GPF. The EVO and Huracan do not have GPF. The F8 does have GPF. I drive my exotics to work so I need sound and theater to keep it fresh. 2 years with the 580-2 and its still exhilariting.

Who knows I may skip the EVO RWD and keep what Ive got. With a $270k msrp its loaded has ceramic coating tint and laser jammers and still only 5200 miles.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Drove F8 and EVO RWD nearly back to back. F8 more nimble and confidence inspiring. Better steering and damping. Faster. Interior felt expensive. Lighter steering, felt more connected. Motor is an engineering marvel, loses only a fraction to the best NA engines. Lacking in volume department, a couple times for a half second I stopped accelerating and didn't know why untill I noticed I was bouncing off rev limiter.

EVO probably more striking and feels more exotic, especially in bright colours. However the biggest difference is how the NA V10 completely dominates the experience, it sucks you in. The way it makes you feel is intoxicating, makes you think about it after you've gotten out and the one that got my deposit

Reactions: EVORWSP
1 - 20 of 69 Posts