Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone answer this please. The snorkles on the roof of the Diablo SV do what? Provide ventilation for the engine compartment or something else?
Also the intake air for the engine comes from where? The grills on the rear side of the car? When you look in there you can see the radiator that certainly gets airflow from this location. Intake air for the engine also?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
This is a ram air system, the intake for the engine, look at the lid the air passes the tubes which go into the air filter housing.
The side inlets on the SV are useless except they bring more air into the engine bay.

·
Registered
464 Posts
What about non SV intakes? Coupe and the Roadster? I figure that’s why the roadster has the larger intakes then the coupe

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The snorkels came from the SVR, only the SV's have them, the other cars use the normal inlet right behind the side window.
The roadster is of course different, but I think it's mainly the look the intakes themselfves are not bigger.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was confusing to me was an article I read that said the Snorkels on the SV were used to "ventilate" the engine compartment. That did not make sense to me especially when you look at the set up in the engine compartment. Also, the larger rear side intakes appear tp provide necessary ram airflow through the small radiator on each side. In addition I know that there are electric fans that cut in as needed to force air through the radiator when the speed of the car is slow (as in traffic) or, I am guessing here, the water temp reaches a certain amount.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The rads are in the lower end of the fenders and have nothing to do with the air intake of the engine.
The fans switch on at 80 degrees and later a 2nd stage.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
speed2 said:
What was confusing to me was an article I read that said the Snorkels on the SV were used to "ventilate" the engine compartment. That did not make sense to me especially when you look at the set up in the engine compartment. Also, the larger rear side intakes appear tp provide necessary ram airflow through the small radiator on each side. In addition I know that there are electric fans that cut in as needed to force air through the radiator when the speed of the car is slow (as in traffic) or, I am guessing here, the water temp reaches a certain amount.
The article was wrong. The scoops are for ram air. It feeds directly to the intake intake tube like pictured above.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
raymond said:
The rads are in the lower end of the fenders and have nothing to do with the air intake of the engine.
The fans switch on at 80 degrees and later a 2nd stage.
Raymond: I was referring to the side intakes not the Snorkles. when you look in the large side intake you can see the radiator in the back and its obvious that the airflow coming into that side intake is flowing to that radiator.
Also, as far as the first use of snorkles, the Jota had them in 1995. I do not know if that was the first Lambo to adopt Snorkles or not.
One other question, where does the "basic" Diablo get it intake engine air from??

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
As I already posted the air intake for the engine is just behind the side window...
Although this picture shows a SV, you can see the air intake, they didn't change the body for the SV, since that would have been too expensive...

On the Roadster the intakes have a different shape because of the missing roof:

On the SE30 only the Jota had the snorkels which fed directly the downdraft injectors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts