Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to start a new LONG TERM thread here dealing with all things supercharged and Gallardo. To the best of my knowledge there are no pre-LP supercharged cars, though please correct me if I am wrong and post here as well (I also have a pre-LP car and would consider supercharging it if anyone has been down that route before).

Some of you will know that I supercharged my 2012/13 LP 550-2 in May this year using the SoCal VFE kit which is meant to lift power to 760 BHP and 600 lb/ft. I have been unable to confirm the power output on a dyno due to electronic intervention on a 2wd car, though on the road it certainly feels that powerful and it is definitely faster accelerating than a 488 Ferrari.

I have previously posted extensively on the installation issues I had and the final outcome in the "My Motorsport Year" thread. I would like contributors here to post about their ownership and driving experiences. We'd all like to hear of any service tips/belt life/further mods etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
supercharged

Waz, Hey Pal i to supercharged my 2012 Performante in August, what a beast I'm not sure about all the exact numbers , doesn't matter to me except nothing touches me i have raced everything except a 918, and a bugatti, and a few other million dollar cars, not sure about you but can barely keep the wheels from ripping off, i to used VFE engineering, i had no issues at all, top notch installer shout out to Signature AutoHaus in florida ,
i have a lot of photos if u want , best thing i ever did to the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great to hear about your car. What mileage does it have and how much do you plan to use it yearly?
Did you find the VFE gearbox tune better than standard?
Mine is 2wd and struggles to plant the power in the lower 3 gears at less than 100kph.
My installation difficulties were due to my shop here in Sydney not having done it before and VFE being a bit slow to communicate and not including the instructions with the kit; bit of a problem when your across the world. But it all ended well and I'm very happy with the car and will now keep it for at leat 3 more years so saving heaps on depreciation!!!hahaha.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great to hear about your car. What mileage does it have and how much do you plan to use it yearly?
Did you find the VFE gearbox tune better than standard?
Mine is 2wd and struggles to plant the power in the lower 3 gears at less than 100kph.
My installation difficulties were due to my shop here in Sydney not having done it before and VFE being a bit slow to communicate and not including the instructions with the kit; bit of a problem when your across the world. But it all ended well and I'm very happy with the car and will now keep it for at leat 3 more years so saving heaps on depreciation!!!hahaha.
the tune is definitely better and 3rd and 4th gears are my strongest i did 0-60 in 2.6 and still say i beat that , its a beast anyone that rides in the car , says OMG they had no idea, i think yes being half way around the world was the issue looking back my advise to anyone is , bite the bullet and send your car to VFE and let them do it , and don't do it unless u plan on keeping your car 4 to 5 years for the yes the depreciation:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some of you will Know that I supercharged my 2012/13 LP 550-2 in May this year using the SoCal VFE kit which is meant to lift power to 760 BHP and 600 lb/ft. I have been unable to confirm the power output on a dyno due to electronic intervention on a 2wd car, though on the road it certainly feels that powerful and is definitely faster accelerating than a 488 Ferrari.
Waz, what kind of tires are you running? I am bone stock (2012 LP550-2), I felt even stock, the Micheline Pilot Super Sport tires are no match.

The thing is already a beast, I can't imagine what your car is like having additional 200 hp with supercharger.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P-Zero's OEM on the road and Toyo R888 on the track. To be frank, the P-Zero's are almost as quick on the track and I like the wet grip and get two rears for each set of fronts (about 5000kms from the rears and 10,000kms from the front....I do about 10,000 a year. I have heard nothing but good things about the MPSS and will try them next up. With the SC you have to apply the throttle progressively at the limit of wheelspin, to make maximum headway. Otherwise its just smoke with ESC off or too much intervention with ESC on.. A vid of my car in torrential conditions on P-Zeros is attached

·
Registered
71 Posts
P-Zero's OEM on the road and Toyo R888 on the track. To be frank, the P-Zero's are almost as quick on the track and I like the wet grip and get two rears for each set of fronts (about 5000kms from the rears and 10,000kms from the front....I do about 10,000 a year.
Thanks for the reply.

Wow! that is intense driving in the rain. I couldn't even do that in rain with AWD GTR.

Are you running 305/30/19s?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Standard 295's. The P-Zero's are coded L on the sidewall for Lambo spec.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMO it's well worth it and you end up with a real world driving hypercar for not that much money. About US$20k for the kit and mine was about $10k for the install but that was paying my tech (who is still a good friend) to learn all the details. I would think it should cost around $5-7k in the US for the install with someone who has done it successfully before. The kit itself is just bolt on and quite simple to remove and the quality looks OEM; it just needs larger (supplied) injectors and the VFE tune. Surprising, the fuel economy remains very good and I think that is because you end up short shifting a lot because the acceleration is just too rabid for most of the time.
I am a fan but would like to hear feedback from anyone who has had the SC for an extended period; like greater than a year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Would be good to know if pre LP would work with this...

·
Registered
834 Posts
i am waiting for TTS performance from the UK to develop a kit for the 5.2 engine using rotrex supercharger.

The 4.2 V8 setup from them were very impressive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a fan but would like to hear feedback from anyone who has had the SC for an extended period; like greater than a year.
I had Comptech Supercharger (Autorotor 1.7L) on my previous NSX for 4 years, not a single issue what so ever and absolutely transformed the car with same linear power curve, a lot more torque and power everywhere. Only thing it required was checking the oil level for the supercharger. It even had a dip stick for the supercharger.

The VFE Supercharger looks like a much more complete and better quality system.

·
Vendor
1,415 Posts
I'm interested in a sc but the install sounds like a pita.
We are an authorized dealer and installer for VF engineering, and would be happy to assist you in getting one installed. Install is not that bad, actually. We would install that kit for you for $3800. Thats a small price to pay to end up with hypercar horsepower.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Lord that is a work of art on the install, but I can't say im impressed at the cost and time gains.
You do know the figures stated are for the V8 4.2, and not the 5.2 V10?

Rotrex superchargers are known to be very efficient. Hopefully, the V10 setup will come out soon to have a fair comparison with VFE and ESS.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Why would someone choose a ~600bhp supercharger over a ~1200bhp twin-turbo when the price difference is fairly modest?

Not a leading question. Just curious to hear thoughts on costs, advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Why would someone choose a ~600bhp supercharger over a ~1200bhp twin-turbo when the price difference is fairly modest?

Not a leading question. Just curious to hear thoughts on costs, advantages and disadvantages.
You are either mistaken or money is no object. I haven't priced out a turbo build but you aren't getting 1200 hp without the internals. I'd have to think you are looking at 6 figures.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts