Lamborghini Talk banner

Sudden and almost complete power loss while driving ... any ideas?

620 10
About 2 weeks ago I purchased a relatively high-mileage (~20k) 2012 Aventador LP700-4 from a Lamborghini dealership. I was OK with the higher miles because I intended to drive the car a lot. Also ... the higher mileage perhaps gave me a false sense of security that major issues should have been sorted.

2 days ago I was leaving San Francisco after filling up the tank, heading eastbound on the Bay Bridge towards the Berkeley area, and suddenly the engine power cut to almost nothing. There were no warning/error lights. Floor the gas peddle and nothing would happen. It was an extremely stressful experience. There is nowhere to pull over on the bridge and I was praying I wouldn't get rear-ended. Luckily the car didn't completely stop and I could drive at about 5mph and eventually get off on Treasure Island. After stopping the car I restarted it and I had full power again.

After getting home I did a fair bit of Googling and didn't seem to find many examples of this happening to others. I did find an example of someone with a similar situation happening after filling up with gas.

This leads me to believe it could be a bad fuel pump. Other possibilities include a clogged fuel filter, faulty throttle position sensor, spark plugs, or ignition coils.

A similar situation happened this morning but this time I did not recently fill the car up with gas. After restarting the car, normal power delivery resumed.

I'll be taking the car into the dealership first thing tomorrow morning but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

NOTE: I have a great relationship with the dealer. They are now aware of the issue and have been extremely helpful. I'm primarily looking for any tips that could help me point the techs in the right direction.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Carbon canister? Could happen especially on high mileage car. Just need that replaced. I'm surprised the car went into limp mode without warning. If no warning, it's usually the connected part like throttle / accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the tips. The car has been at the dealership since Monday afternoon. They’ve been trying to reproduce the problem without any luck. I will definitely post the solution once we get this figured out.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
591 Posts
Single event, no trouble codes can be a tough thing to diagnose... but, the carbon canister rings my bell because it happened to me. Different car, but it had sat long enough for the gas to go bad. The vapors caused the CC to solidify so there was no venting in the system. If your ever trying to gas up and you notice the pump kicking off that's a sure indicator there's no venting in the system.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent this thread to the service department and chatted with one of the techs. They don't seem to have much of an appetite for replacing anything without first being able to reproduce the issue. I have a 'thing' with leaving my cars at the dealership over the weekend when I can be enjoying them, so I decided to take the car home. As I drive the car, I'll be extra mindful of everything so in the event it happens again, I can figure out a way to reproduce the situation more consistently. Since the car becomes driveable again after restarting it, I'm not too concerned about getting stranded somewhere.

Thanks again for the tips in this thread. This is a super helpful community. Much appreciated. I'll update this thread if more develops.

Problems aside ... I'm really enjoying the Aventador experience. After owning a Huracan Evo, I wasn't sure how I would feel about the single clutch. I must admit, I really enjoy the brutality and theatrics of those neck-snapping shifts when you're really stepping on it in Corsa. And my brief ownership experience with an LP640 roadster prepared me for the rawness of the early Aventadors Involuntary smiles for miles.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Check the MAF sensor, when they get dirty or fail you will have sluggish acceleration, sometimes no acceleration at all or very little, sometimes the engine stalls or will not start again. Sometimes AFM spray cleaner works and sometimes the sensor needs to be replaced. You'll need to do multimeter tests on it to see if it's bad.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
591 Posts
So no more occurrences since that Hiccup..?
I remember an X6M I had that had an issue beginning @ 28k miles where it started out just like that.... went into limp mode. Happened very randomly far apart in the beginning and quickly figured out shutting it off and starting up again resolved it every time...... Then about 32k the dealer did a fuel injector recall replacing all 8 injectors and when I got it back it started doing that consistently. Dealer didn't want to hear it, said my ECS tune was at fault. B.S.
Google research had me decide to replace/upgrade all the coils and change the plugs (that didn't call for service until 50k)....... solved it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So no more occurrences since that Hiccup..?
I remember an X6M I had that had an issue beginning @ 28k miles where it started out just like that.... went into limp mode. Happened very randomly far apart in the beginning and quickly figured out shutting it off and starting up again resolved it every time...... Then about 32k the dealer did a fuel injector recall replacing all 8 injectors and when I got it back it started doing that consistently. Dealer didn't want to hear it, said my ECS tune was at fault. B.S.
Google research had me decide to replace/upgrade all the coils and change the plugs (that didn't call for service until 50k)....... solved it.
Correct. This has not happened again since the first 2 occurrences and I have been driving the car pretty frequently. I have another appointment scheduled with the dealership next week and I'm hopeful I'll be able to reproduce the issue before the car goes back to the dealership.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Super helpful. Replacing coils and plugs (and fuel pump) resolved the issue discussed here:

This thread has given me the following ideas:
  • Coils and Plugs
  • Carbon Canister
  • Fuel Pump
  • MAF Sensor
  • Throttle
  • Engine Wiring Harness (this sounds scary)

I may just have the dealership address all of it (with the exception of the engine wiring harness).

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts