Lamborghini Talk banner

Stupid questions but here we go 04 GALLARDO EGEAR

661 Views 18 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  AirbusA321Pilot
So my Gallardo is eager and my question is can I go from, lets say 4th gear straight to Neutral or will that hurt the egear system. Lets say im approaching a stop light, and go straight to N instead of letting the gears downshift. Sorry if its a retarded question.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like Murciful said, you'll miss those downshifts but it wont hurt the car at all. In fact, it'll save some wear on the clutch since you'll skip all the downshifting
Thank you for the reply! Im coming from a 911 4s so the move up has me a little cautious on how to drive It. Its so fun to drive, I know the eager has a bad rep but its so fun to drive!

· Registered
2011 LP570-4 - Verde Ithaca
10 Posts
The box is practically the same as the manual, so going to neutral is fine from any gear. Just like in a manual car. Never tried going to N from 4th or higher. I do from 3rd sometimes. But the downshifting is too much fun to skip 😅. I always drive in Race mode as that supposedly spares the clutch. The downshifting blips may be stronger then too.

enjoy the car!

· Registered
1,732 Posts
If you want the clutch, transmission, diff gears, u-joints etc. to last a long time let it coast using the brakes. The downshifts while slowing down gently/coasting sound cool but you are putting all that extra wear. Downshifting to slow down a car is not recommended it wears out tremendously.

Brake pads may cost a few hundreds but a clutch several thousands.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want the clutch, transmission, diff gears, u-joints etc. to last a long time let it coast using the brakes. The downshifts while slowing down gently/coasting sound cool but you are putting all that extra wear. Downshifting to slow down a car is not recommended it wears out tremendously.

Brake pads may cost a few hundreds but a clutch several thousands.
[/QUOTE
Amen, I agree :)

· Registered
2004 Lamborghini Murcielago in Rosso Andromeda
647 Posts
With my Murcielago I go into neutral as much as I can, especially going down hills. I also always have it in sport mode. For me it’s all about saving the clutch.

· Registered
2011 LP570-4 - Verde Ithaca
10 Posts
With my Murcielago I go into neutral as much as I can, especially going down hills. I also always have it in sport mode. For me it’s all about saving the clutch.
Nice car!
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the clutch mainly wears when it’s not fully engaged and the rotating speed between Drive shaft and gearbox is different. Once fully engaged, there’s no wear. So going downhill with an engaged clutch should be no issue. The blipping when downshifting is partly to help reduce wear when the clutch is engaging the new lower gear, though admittedly it doesn’t prevent wear.
my worry when coasting downhill in N, assuming big descents, would be to cook the brake fluid and loose all braking capacity. Of course subject to a little humidity in the fluid. In our Malaysia climate that’s a potential issue.
in all case..happy driving!

· Registered
2004 Lamborghini Murcielago in Rosso Andromeda
647 Posts
Nice car!
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the clutch mainly wears when it’s not fully engaged and the rotating speed between Drive shaft and gearbox is different. Once fully engaged, there’s no wear. So going downhill with an engaged clutch should be no issue. The blipping when downshifting is partly to help reduce wear when the clutch is engaging the new lower gear, though admittedly it doesn’t prevent wear.
my worry when coasting downhill in N, assuming big descents, would be to cook the brake fluid and loose all braking capacity. Of course subject to a little humidity in the fluid. In our Malaysia climate that’s a potential issue.
in all case..happy driving!
Thank you, if it’s a steep downhill grade and the car is really accelerating I will put it in gear to slow it down a little then go back to neutral, so I don’t really use the brakes much going down hill. But the steep downhill grades and the high temperature issues are not really an issue where I live. My understanding of the clutch mechanism is the wear mostly comes into play as the clutch is engaging thus the wear on the clutch surface. Things such as not using sport mode for example. If not using sport mode, the clutch will slowly and smoothly engage but is causing wear as it slowly engages. Whereas sport mode will slam it which reduces wear on engagement because it is more of an instant engagement than slowly engaging, and makes for a much less smooth engagement that you can feel. Another thing you want to avoid with e-gear is reversing and even more important is never ever if you can help it reversing up a hill. Your other point, my understanding is yes if it is fully engaged it won’t be causing wear. I could be wrong but if the car is in neutral, there is no pressure or engagement of the clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts