Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here. I have a 2004 Murci E-gear. I will be out of the country for three months and am wondering whether i can just leave the car parked for that period. The dealer tells me that they wouldn't recommend it and that it should be driven at least once very two weeks over that period. Does anyone have experince with this or know of any serious problems that can occur other than a flat bettery?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
At the very least get a "Battery Tender Plus" and hook it up or your battery will be dead as a door nail and you engine computers will be screwed up when you first try to start the engine. Do a search for Battery Tender Plus. I highly recommend them and use them all the time.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Without a doubt, don't just leave it sit!!!!

There are definate preparations needed for storage. A battery tender is a good idea, and/or a battery tender AND disconnect the battery from the car at the ground cable, tires can flat spot and gas can go bad, even used oil can form acids, and coolant can form corrosive alkalis, leading to serious electrolysis, seals can dry out and shocks can stick.

Car manufacturers did not design in any safety measures for cars to "just sit", therefore this is actually using the car outside of any and all design parameters. The same applies for tire, battery and fluids manufacturers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well..humm...we're just talking about three months here... Is is really that bad to have a Murcie not running for three months ??

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
as the duration is "only" three month ime only the battery is the thing to take care about, during wintertime my cars stand also for 3 month in the unheated boxes and nothing happened in the last 5 years, even in winter with 20 degrees C under 0...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will take care of the battery but as you point out many cars sit in the garage over the winter months. Fingers crossed there wont be any other problems with the fluids. I assume I should get it serviced before I leave it and have an oil change etc...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
If at all I would change the Oil after winter, oil has anti corosion ability which last for about 3 years, then you should change it at least.
If you have enough anti freeze in the coolant I wouldn't mind low temperatures, as I said my cars sit in unheated boxes and winter here can get really cold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Put a battery tender, come back in 3 months, fire it up, and take it into service sometime after that for its regular maintenance.

I wouldnt make a big deal about 3 months. Garaged for three months is nothing. I took delivery of my car six months after its build date (with delivery miles). I am sure the dealer might have fired it up a few times, but I am positive there was a period of at least two months or more where it just sat behind glass in the showroom. It is burdensome to move these cars when they are in the middle of the showroom. They just sit for weeks or months. Three months dormant on a new car is like two weeks in a 20 year old one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts