Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I was told by a lambo tech that I need a new clutch as soon as possible because the car will stop any time. He told me when miles were 16000. I took a risk and kept driving 10,000 miles on top of it.

Now my car has over 26000 miles on it with no problem with clutch so far.
Anybody recommend to get new clutch or just keep driving until it stops?
Also, if It stops will it break something else more expensive?

thanks!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
You should be able to feel the clutch start to slip before you are stuck with a car that does not move.

You also should be ok if you get stuck with a worn out clutch. Nothing else should break.

I am assuming you have an e-gear car. If not the clutch pedel should feel low and have a lot of travel before you engage the clutch.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Im assuming you didn't have a snap done and that the tech may have just told you that......If this is the case that's not good representation for the brand.....I'm hoping that I am wrong about this....I am glad though that if the original clutch is still in the car that you have that mileage on it.....There are members on here though that have gotten several thousand more miles above what you are stating on the original clutch..

I would keep driving it or take it in for a snap...Like others have said you will notice it going out before it does and should be able to get it "home" before being stranded...:confused:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
26k is fairly normal for 2006. My 2005 has 16k on the 2nd clutch and that's only worn 30%.

If the same guy that told you 10k miles ago to change is giving you the advice, that person is blowing something. I doubt his advice is worth much.

If you wear it down to point of slipping, I don't think you'll end up with a bigger bill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 512BBi from 1982 that has now about 52'000 KM and I am still on the first clutch...

I am allways very carefull when driving the car and that's also means no burn out....

As long as you clutch does not slip, enjoy it...

·
Registered
508 Posts
hi guys,

I was told by a lambo tech that I need a new clutch as soon as possible because the car will stop any time. He told me when miles were 16000. I took a risk and kept driving 10,000 miles on top of it.

thanks!!!
That's fantastic. You are an inspiration to all of us. I hope I can go 26k with my clutch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
hi guys,

thanks!!!
Go get a snap.......now. It can save many $$$ later on. If it says 5.5 or higher, then you're getting close. If it does leave you stranded, you will just need to have it towed.....more $$$.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im assuming you didn't have a snap done and that the tech may have just told you that......If this is the case that's not good representation for the brand.....
Go get a snap.......now. It can save many $$$ later on. If it says 5.5 or higher, then you're getting close. If it does leave you stranded, you will just need to have it towed.....more $$$.
We performed the SNAP which indicated that the clutch was at 6.3mm of wear. This is why we recommended that the clutch will need to be replaced. I'm glad that you have pulled more mileage out of the clutch than expected but the last thing we want is to have one of our customers stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
927 Posts
We performed the SNAP which indicated that the clutch was at 6.3mm of wear. This is why we recommended that the clutch will need to be replaced. I'm glad that you have pulled more mileage out of the clutch than expected but the last thing we want is to have one of our customers stranded on the side of the road.
Great Job! All you can do is deliver the facts. The factory recommends that clutch be changed if I remember at 5.5mm.

that fact that the clutch has lasted is great as well. Just remember if you are stranded that the shop did its job.

I have replaced many clutches that were above the factory spec as far as wear and the car drove fine. At the same token I have replaced many that were in the 4mm range and the car would not move.

If the drive can feel the clutch starting to slip then have it changed. If the drive does not know what a slipping clutch feels like get it changed now. You do not want to be on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not to take this a completely different direction, but on an E-Gear car how do you now how the bad the clutch it slipping without doing a snap?

·
Registered
40 Posts
^ If the clutch is slipping the cars revs will increase without the car gaining speed. Any form of this is bad and calls for a new clutch assembly. I hope I answered your question...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Not to take this a completely different direction, but on an E-Gear car how do you now how the bad the clutch it slipping without doing a snap?
The car will not move as fast on take off. You will also smell the clutch burning.

The revs increase and does not move the car as it should

1 - 14 of 14 Posts