Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Hope all are well,

I have a Manual Gallardo (2004) - the last time I ran it was on 15th December last year as unfortunately due to a foot injury and surgical operation (after I fell down a flight of stairs - not good), I have had to keep my foot up for the last couple of months hence not being able to run her.

I have now been given the all clear (Thank Goodness as I have been missing running her!) so can't wait to get driving again.

As I haven't run her since then (her battery has been on a trickle charger during this period though), should I be doing anything in particular to start her up due to not been run for over 2 months or am I ok just turning the key and treating it as a normal start up? Am I being too cautious? I obviously don't want to damage her in anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Keep well,

Roadie :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You should be fine
when you warm her up, drive moderate until you are temperature. Make sure the tires are proper inflation.
Two months is not a long time

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@topcarbon

Thanks for your input, was also worried as we have had some cold weather the last few weeks (-8 degrees on some occasions). Although she is kept off the drive, it still gets a low temp in the garage.

Can't wait to take her for a drive!!!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Do not let the car sit and idle after start up. Drive it moderately until you get to operating temperature as topcarbon said.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Tomaso for you reply.

Its so strange, back in the day I was always told to start your car and let it idle for a few minutes until the needle moves on the temperature as it ensured all components warmed up like hard/cold or dry tube/hoses expansions and cables as well as gaving time for the oil to lubricate the engine? I think I even heard Jay Leno say it on his Countach youtube vid.

But more recently, people are saying exactly what you have said....Drive straight away as soon as the engine is running...interesting.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,805 Posts
Thanks @Tomaso for you reply.

Its so strange, back in the day I was always told to start your car and let it idle for a few minutes until the needle moves on the temperature as it ensured all components warmed up like hard/cold or dry tube/hoses expansions and cables as well as gaving time for the oil to lubricate the engine? I think I even heard Jay Leno say it on his Countach youtube vid.

But more recently, people are saying exactly what you have said....Drive straight away as soon as the engine is running...interesting.
Yes, that is interesting. I would like to know why? It kind of goes against logic.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Quote,
"The days are getting colder, the nights longer, and winter is just around the corner. Soon, millions of Americans will wake up to frosty roads, icy windshields, and stone cold engines. If you’re one of the many drivers who thinks it’s important to turn on your car and let it sit for a bit before hitting the road in wintry weather, you could be doing your engine more harm than good. Despite this commonly held belief, your car doesn’t need to “warm up” on cold mornings, especially if it was made after 1980. Here’s why many drivers still hold to the belief that idling is good for the engine and why this winter driving myth needs to be busted.

It’s advice from the carburetor age!
Whoever told you that you need to idle your car on a cold morning to “heat things up,” could be stuck in a bit of a time warp. Before 1980, most cars had carburetors, and these engines did need to warm up in the winter. Why? Carburetors regulated the air-fuel mixture within the engine and could not accurately adjust the air to fuel ratio in cold weather, reports The Washington Post. In cold temps, carburetors couldn’t vaporize all the gasoline they let into the engine, so some of it would be left behind as a liquid rather than being burned off during combustion. In order to work properly, a carburetor needed to warm up or else you’d run the risk of stalling out.

Electric Fuel Injection Systems = A New Normal
Nowadays, practically every car sold in America has an electric fuel injection system that helps maintain the perfect air-fuel mixture needed for a combustion event, no matter the ambient temperature. Ergo, warming up the car before driving on a cold day has become a thing of the past. The sensors in your car’s electronic fuel injection system are regulating the air-fuel mixture in real time, regardless of the temperature outside.

Manufacturers maintain that cars with modern fuel injection systems can be driven immediately on startup, no need to warm them up first. Similarly, many environmental organizations, including the EPA and DOE, recommend idling your car for no more than 30 seconds before driving on winter days. This means that your cold-day-driving-routine should look something like this: bundle up, start the car, scrape the ice off the windows and mirrors, get in the car, and get going!"

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
yes, the older cars like my 308gtb and 1969 Corvette warm up the old fashion way.
But with injection and modern cars, warming an engine while driving slow until the car is up to temperature reduces wear long term

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Hope all are well,

I have a Manual Gallardo (2004) - the last time I ran it was on 15th December last year as unfortunately due to a foot injury and surgical operation (after I fell down a flight of stairs - not good), I have had to keep my foot up for the last couple of months hence not being able to run her.

I have now been given the all clear (Thank Goodness as I have been missing running her!) so can't wait to get driving again.

As I haven't run her since then (her battery has been on a trickle charger during this period though), should I be doing anything in particular to start her up due to not been run for over 2 months or am I ok just turning the key and treating it as a normal start up? Am I being too cautious? I obviously don't want to damage her in anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Keep well,

Roadie :)
Years ago I ruptured my left Achilles tendon practicing flying knee kicks while training Muay Thai. Had surgery and then 2 months of crutches couldn't put any weight on my left foot then another 1 month with walking boot so 3 months total. Unfortunately when I went back to daily driving my 6 speed Carrera S, constantly pushing the clutch with my surgically repaired left foot in traffic would cause pain. 5 months later I bought my first Ferrari and haven't gone back to stick shift. I would have been OK with the 6 speed if I was driving on weekends or not in traffic. On occasion I still reminisce about driving stick but definitely not when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic.

Hope you made 100% recovery.

·
Registered
Gated Giallo Midas
61 Posts
Idling your engine when cold allows the fuel to strip oil from the pistons and cylinder walls increasing wear.
Would thicker oil viscosity have an effect on engine idling to operating temperatures for it to be more fluid for lubrication?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks @surfah Appreciate the good wishes!

@Tomaso Will definitely drive it straight off the mark then!! Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Would thicker oil viscosity have an effect on engine idling to operating temperatures for it to be more fluid for lubrication?
My dad used to tell me to use a lighter weight motor oil during winter, as it’s easier on the engine when it cranks. Then use a heavier motor oil in the summer. He was an Air Force aircraft mechanic.

that said, I’m not too sure if his claims are valid. I however do follow his advice for my regular vehicles.

·
Registered
2013 LP560-4 Spyder
6 Posts
This thread made me smile :p

3 more weeks with the cast and then physio. Hopefully back on the road just as the mountain passes start reopening.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts