Lamborghini Talk banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2
63 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

But OUCH bro! 24 years old...new-to-you Lambo...caught doing +30 over? Yeesh mate!

Lucky you are here posting on the internet and not locked up! I'd fight it forever and at all costs to keep my insurance rates not only down but able to continue providing coverage. Once insurance catches wind of this they may cut you loose unless you have a lot of other policies with them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
@chris01

Here is how I would approach this.

1-Hire a good lawyer.

2-Go on google and search for all the threads and post about how INNACURATE the gallardo spedo is. (you will find TONS of references). The stock spedo reads about 7-10 high depending on how fast you are going.

3-Combined with (this may be stretching the truth) but wink wink the previous owner had told you that he had changed the tire profiles and that the car would read as much as 15-20 off (again this is the stretch)

So you really did not think you were speeding judging from the cars around you, but since the car was brand new to you, you really had no idea how fast you were going.

The gallardo spedo is a VERY well known issue. With enough documentation, (and maybe the tire story) you can get to an improper equip.

You actually can show a foundation of the stock spedo being terribly inaccurate and given the car was brand new to you....it might be worth a shot.

FWIW, I had a 65 in a 40 thrown out since I just bought a used car and the dealer had put the wrong size tires on the car. I showed that I had replaced the tires when I went to court and they dismissed ticket.

·
Registered
486 Posts
@chris01

Here is how I would approach this.

1-Hire a good lawyer.

2-Go on google and search for all the threads and post about how INNACURATE the gallardo spedo is. (you will find TONS of references). The stock spedo reads about 7-10 high depending on how fast you are going.

3-Combined with (this may be stretching the truth) but wink wink the previous owner had told you that he had changed the tire profiles and that the car would read as much as 15-20 off (again this is the stretch)

So you really did not think you were speeding judging from the cars around you, but since the car was brand new to you, you really had no idea how fast you were going.

The gallardo spedo is a VERY well known issue. With enough documentation, (and maybe the tire story) you can get to an improper equip.

You actually can show a foundation of the stock spedo being terribly inaccurate and given the car was brand new to you....it might be worth a shot.

FWIW, I had a 65 in a 40 thrown out since I just bought a used car and the dealer had put the wrong size tires on the car. I showed that I had replaced the tires when I went to court and they dismissed ticket.
The tolerances of the Speedo should be taken into consideration.... but don’t forget the radar equipment. Years ago there was a 5-10% error in the radar guns. So you could also work that into the equation. I’m not too sure that would work.

a better idea, go a couple days without sleeping or eating, look emaciated. Borrow 3 toddlers in diapers, go to court. Beg for mercy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey guys appreciate the info! I have officially hired my first attorney 🥳 in hopes his costs are offset by ticket reductions. I spoke with him and another local attorney, and he seemed far more informative and went the extra level to help me understand my situation, and additionally was cheaper than the other attorney as well.

I will mention the speedo to him, because I too have noticed it is a fast speed! My gps will say 62 when I am going 70. I know for a fact it has aftermarket tires on it as well so I can do that as well. I can try the radar thing as well, but we'll see how the calibration card can get played.

All in all, this is turning out to be a far more expensive first week than I had anticipated. I will keep the thread updated with progress.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,201 Posts
It is a hassle but worth it in the long run. I had to go to court, sit in the box and be questioned by the judge. My attorney laid waste to the officer almost to the point where it was embarrashing. I actually felt bad for him while he was being questioned. I remember hoping I never see him again on the road.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,676 Posts
Hey guys appreciate the info! I have officially hired my first attorney 🥳 in hopes his costs are offset by ticket reductions. I spoke with him and another local attorney, and he seemed far more informative and went the extra level to help me understand my situation, and additionally was cheaper than the other attorney as well.

I will mention the speedo to him, because I too have noticed it is a fast speed! My gps will say 62 when I am going 70. I know for a fact it has aftermarket tires on it as well so I can do that as well. I can try the radar thing as well, but we'll see how the calibration card can get played.

All in all, this is turning out to be a far more expensive first week than I had anticipated. I will keep the thread updated with progress.
Glad you got a second opinion......sounds like you may get a more favorable outcome. It has been 7 years since I got my last ticket in NC and I hope it goes at least another 7 years.

·
Registered
293 Posts

Good luck. In prep for your meeting w/ your attorney, I would compile as many references to Speedo error on gallardo. Maybe print to PDF's and send them all his way. Might be able to plead that between that and the tires, you thought you were going much slower. (given that you had only had the car a few hours)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The tolerances of the Speedo should be taken into consideration.... but don’t forget the radar equipment. Years ago there was a 5-10% error in the radar guns. So you could also work that into the equation. I’m not too sure that would work.

a better idea, go a couple days without sleeping or eating, look emaciated. Borrow 3 toddlers in diapers, go to court. Beg for mercy!
They would just think he was a crackhead that got some girls pregnant.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I used to get all my tickets fixed. You need an attorney with connections in that court and friends with the judge. Get one that specializes in traffic tickets. How they get them dismissed is to keep getting continuances until the cop does not appear. Another way is to appeal to the Judges morals. He or she knows the cost of the ticket means nothing to you. Offer something like taking the car to a church fundraiser and agreeing to take people for a ride who donate to the church,. Or take terminal kid for a ride. Or.......... there are tons of possibilities They know your time is valuable. Offering some type of community service will appeal to their sense of fairness. Taking the lambo for example to a group home of foster kids would be the high point in their lives and really easy for you. We used to do things for foster kids. The ones living in group homes have virtually no chance of being adopted. Who knows , you might even change some young man or womans life, I have found that the more you give , the more you get. Good luck, Lee

·
Registered
80 Posts
The smart move is getting an attorney who knows the court your case will be in and who knows how the judge(s) in that court view the charge(s) against you... all the recommendations from others who have had moving violations in other jurisdictions (other cities, other states) will mean little in your circumstance... your lawyer doesn’t have to be a genius, but he/she does need to know the ins and outs of the system that will be judging you... and frankly, if you have to provide a lawyer with a strategy for your defense you don’t have the right lawyer... the right lawyer will know what defense strategy to use... and the right lawyer will make you feel like you’re in good hands... good luck with the outcome

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,676 Posts
@Praecox good advice and I think OP has found an attorney that can make things happen. When I contacted the attorney I used I gave his secretary all the information and was told I did not need to show up in court and they would contact me when it was resolved. I received a call and a letter indicating they had my class 3 misdemeanor reduced to improper equipment, and as you might imagine, I marched happily on.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Great points. It is all about the RIGHT attorney. I have had my share of bad attorneys. It is not about money either. Some of the most expensive were the worst.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like everyone has answered this already.

Speeding tickets are one of the only things you can pretty consistently throw money at to make them disappear. In Florida where I'm at 30+ is a misdemeanor, 50+ is a felony, but no speed results in an automatic arrest or license suspension. You can pretty much drive as fast as you want if you're okay with paying the participation fee. I've had 30+ tickets before. One of them was in a construction zone and I had a mandatory court hearing. All I did was hand money to a lawyer and in exchange the ticket was totally wiped from my record. No points, nothing. Dont worry about it. I believe in some areas you have an option to pay double the fine in exchange for having your record clean. That might only be for commercial drivers, though.

Buy a Uniden R7, Get a vent mount for your phone and run Waze, and if cops run laser in your area get an AL Priority jammer setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Speedo inaccuracy is unlikely to help... many of the tickets show the recorded speed and the infringement speed, and they make allowance for equipment variability (radar, speedo, weather, terrain, other vehicles etc). If your GPS says 62 when your Speedo says 70, that doesn’t help too much! But depends on the jurisdiction, the codes, the court standards, and the judge... I can imagine some get tired of hearing these arguments, while others respect the effort to maximize your rights under the law!

The non standard tires might help if the tire diameter is materially in your favor... but an attorney who knows the local court is the best advice. Being a new and unfamiliar vehicle might get some credit... the babies in diapers is always a good play!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Speedo inaccuracy is unlikely to help... many of the tickets show the recorded speed and the infringement speed, and they make allowance for equipment variability (radar, speedo, weather, terrain, other vehicles etc). If your GPS says 62 when your Speedo says 70, that doesn’t help too much! But depends on the jurisdiction, the codes, the court standards, and the judge... I can imagine some get tired of hearing these arguments, while others respect the effort to maximize your rights under the law!

The non standard tires might help if the tire diameter is materially in your favor... but an attorney who knows the local court is the best advice. Being a new and unfamiliar vehicle might get some credit... the babies in diapers is always a good play!!!

Given that the OP only had the car for 2 hours, it could be plausible that he had read countless posts about how much over the spedo reads (wink wink)

Couple this with that he was on an on ramp and had no surrounding traffic to gauge his speed.

AND...then throw the tire size in, .....Maybe it could be possible.

Now if he had the car for 2 months, I dont think it would work. But the fact he JUST got the car, it might be worth a shot...

Who knows....lawyer will probably have a deal to get it reduced, but the circumstances around this may give supporting options for the court to consider giving the guy a break.

Hope it turns out well!

·
Registered
486 Posts

The trick to getting the ‘babies in diapers’ to work, is just prior to entering the courthouse, let the babies chomp into a case of chocolate pudding. No napkins. No cleanup. The judge falls for it every time 😀

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
How do you go about finding a good attorney in the particular county you get caught speeding in. Man you guys are freaking me out a little.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ask who the judges recommend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How do you go about finding a good attorney in the particular county you get caught speeding in. Man you guys are freaking me out a little.
Turn on your TV late at night... on a workday... maybe 3 or 4 AM... and watch for the attorney ads... or, more seriously, contact the local/state BAR association for a referral... failing that, just go to the court handling traffic violations and listen to the cases for that day... when you see a defense lawyer you like, just go up to him/her and introduce yourself...

41 - 59 of 59 Posts