Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just got my Gallardo. Within 2 hours of purchasing, I did not exceed the speed limit one time. I took a wrong exit and turned around and immediately went back up the highway. I decided to do a pull onto the highway - big mistake. Got a speeding ticket - 98 in a 65 in Westchester County NY. Just my luck. Anyone have recommendations for how to fight or reduce this? No fine is even listed... I need to plead guilty and then I guess they send the fine? I also got a ticket for no registration, but I bought the car privately and was driving it home to be registered. Any recourse for that? Just looking for recommendation, or reviews on ticket clinic or if anyone has had similar experience. If anyone knows lawyers in Westchester County please let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
In most states that’s a felony
There are attorneys that specialize in this to mitigate the severity of the penalty.
It’s going to cost you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bet they advertise $166 flat fee for <10mph over the limit... then there’s the fine print!

But that’s a classic... “owned my Lambo for 2 hours without a speeding ticket, then... “

Here’s to many years of trouble free ownership once you get over this one... congrats on the mew ride!

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
144 Posts
Dude. You're supposed to start off on a good note so everybody can say 'YAY,,,, WELCOME TO THE CLUB'.......well, Welcome to the club, and sorry you're having a rough start! You gotta thank whoever it is you thank for miracles because Cops usually IMPOUND cars with invalid or no registration (at least in PA). You're not from NY (philly I think you posted once) so maybe your PA Driver license had something to do with it and maybe because at least you had it insured and he felt sorry for you and accidentally let you drive off in your newly purchased unregistered soon to be in another state vehicle. You didn't swap a plate from one of your other vehicles did you? :oops:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had this happen in my corvette; went to court and argued there was another car doing stupid things trying to take pictures and I aggressively sped away to avoid the situation; long story short after meeting with the prosecutor was able to plead it down to lesser of a charge (non moving violation) but the fine was higher and steep. Did this one on my own but for your case would get a lawyer. Agree you were lucky not to have the car towed away.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,666 Posts
Hello Chris sorry to hear about your problem but getting an attorney, as mentioned above, that specializes in traffic violations is the way to go.....it's what I did. I was caught speeding in my Honda while living in North Carolina >25mph over the speed limit which in NC is a Class 3 criminal misdemeanor. The fine would have been $250 plus points plus insurance implications. The attorney got the charges reduced to improper equipment and I paid him a total of $500. One other thing, in NC a court appearance would have been mandated but hiring an attorney helped me avoid that as well. Hope you resolve this both quickly and painlessly.

Reactions: chris01

·
Registered
928 Posts
I usually go for Differed Adjudication, it is just a legal way to bribe a judge. It is kinda pricey though and you go on probation, but it does not go on your record. Length of probation depends on the judge, I have been on probation from one month to six months. The only exception to this is when I get a ticket in New Mexico. They are pretty cheap there. The last time I got a ticket, after I looked at it and the price, I thought I should have been going faster.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,208 Posts
As to your driving with an unregistered vehicle, that should be an easy one if you had the documentation in the car with you coming from the person you bought the car from. I would imagine your state allows some driving to be done on a bill of sale on a temporary basis for exactly this situation when you bought a car private party. Tell the judge in this particular situation it’s an exotic car and there are not many of them therefore you have to travel across state lines to buy certain exotic cars from private parties in many situations, like yours for example. That should be an easy one if you have the paperwork backing up your story.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As to your driving with an unregistered vehicle, that should be an easy one if you had the documentation in the car with you coming from the person you bought the car from. I would imagine your state allows some driving to be done on a bill of sale on a temporary basis for exactly this situation when you bought a car private party. Tell the judge in this particular situation it’s an exotic car and there are not many of them therefore you have to travel across state lines to buy certain exotic cars from private parties in many situations, like yours for example. That should be an easy one if you have the paperwork backing up your story.
Might be a little easier to ask for mercy if it wasn’t accompanied by a 98 in a 65 zone on the same docket!

Best outcome would be to get it down to a class of offense that avoids being recorded and impacts your insurance etc.

Here is CA, you can attend Traffic School for certain offenses but you’d need to get it down to that class of offense.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate all the comments guys, I reached out to some actual attorneys outside of that $166 app. I will reach out to the one attorney linked above by @bonehead. I'll take the advice here into consideration. To top all that off, the G is leaking coolant too. A wild 24 hours of lamborghini ownership but I still love the freaking thing.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Lets hear a little more about what really matters......the Lamborghini
Photos?
Usually there is a photo op when you get a ticket. Smokey in the rear view mirror, etc. I mean, photos help us remember events in our lives

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,666 Posts
@chris01, post back after you resolve this bump in the road. The info you post could help someone else on this forum in the future.

Reactions: chris01

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,196 Posts
I got one for Exhibition of Speed, and that was a misdemeanor in Hawaii. I hired an attorney that specializes in speeding tickets. He not only got it dismissed but also expunged from my record. It cost $500.00 and additional $300.00 to get it expunged.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In FL they offer an online driver school to get the points (but not the infraction) removed. Laser is used extensively on the majors, and they can lock you in up to a mile or more according to the trooper.

I forget if it's just one time Mulligan, or can be used once every 5 years. It costs $75.00 (in addition to the fines, etc that you pay). And the online course is really good (you have to study, as there are quizzes throughout).

I consider this a better option than rolling the dice with a lawyer and a judge who may be having a bad day (or night) when it's your turn in line.

Anyway, sorry about your just bad luck and with you and your new ride the best.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Forgot to add.....in VA, if they write you up doing more than 80, you can go to jail. Story a while back about a Jalopnik writer who did 90 in a 55 on a deserted stretch of highway in the middle of nowhere (I can attest) and did three days in jail!

And a hockey player was caught at 100 or more on the Capital Beltway in his Porsche and did a solid 10 days!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This is why my Lambo has laser jammers 1 in rear 2 in front. Our PD doesn’t use radar only laser.

Also will add several of my closest friends are LEO including one lieutenant. Get them on the phone and no one f-cks with me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts