Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer still hsn't replaced my manuals with English ones or dealt with my other complaints. Im getting close to slagging them off all over the place now, this is a main dealer btw.

Could someone with a manual please tell me how to setup the speed alert thing. I'm talking about the MPH alert that shows up on the LCD display when you pass a certain speed. I would like to turn it off. I know the buttons are to the left of the steering wheel, but can't figure out whats what.

Also while i'm at it, could you confirm which keys you recieved with your car. I got the 2 main keyfobs (both of which were damaged, and waiting on new ones to be shipped). They didn't give me the skeleton key or the other square looking key (not sure what thats for). The car was new and from main dealer. Complained to Lamborghini and the guy was nice (Legal guy I had the contact for from before) but his customer service counterparts haven't bothered to get back to me.

Infact I'll post all this in another thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
With the engine OFF-- press the "check" button THEN press the button to the right of the "check" button (looks like a little speedometer icon) >>> the symbol will now illuminate on the dash. Next --there is a small button located on the underside of the wiper stalk >> press it and it will cancel the speed alarm setting that was set. To set a speed alarm setting, you press the check/speedo buttons once again to illuminate the icon and then set the speed you want (to activate the alarm) by pressing the small rocker switch located on the very end of the wiper stalk. whew !!
Jake

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much.

Everytime I'm in the car I think I gotta find out how to switch it off. Then I forget when I'm on here.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
That's interesting - I didn't even know the car has this feature. Trouble is, what speed to you program in? Here we have speed limits of 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 110 kph!

Maybe the best speed to program into the alert is just under the one where they send you to jail. ;)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
MMH,
That's a possiblity also; the "speed alarm" has two modes. The first is the one I mentioned to 5 to 1 and the other can be set while the vehicle is in motion and can be set to the exact speed you are traveling when you set the alarm -- (read your manual for the instructions)
Regards to all,
Jake

·
Registered
59 Posts
The square key could be to turn off the passenger airbag. My Murcielago had a grey coloured key for that purpose....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Speedo error

Did you know that you can check the accuracy of your speedo, using the digital trip computer functions on your Gallardo? This check shows that my speedo over-reads by 10%. (Australian Design Rules for all cars allows a maximum of 6% error in speedo reading, so strictly speaking Lamborghini have delivered me a car that is technically illegal in this country!).

The signals that drive the odometer and speedo are digital pulses that are taken from a sensor somewhere in the transmission. As long as they have done their sums right, and worked out the correct diff and gear ratios, then the pulse rate (or frequency) must be 100% correct. The only remaining variable is the diameter/circumference of the tyre. Let's assume for now that they have this correct.

This being the case, the pulse rate being sent to the odometer, speedo, and trip computer should be correct. If there was an error (say by tyre diameter), it would effect equally odometer, speedo and trip computer by the same percentage. This is how I came across the problem.

Try this. Set the trip computer to read average speed. Then drive at a constant speed, then press, hold and release the Reset button (under the stalk). The display will then immediately read the new "average" speed, and at the instant you let go the reset button, the average speed = the instantaneous speed. So you get an accurate digital read-out of your road speed at that point in time. Immediately look at your speedo reading. If it does not read the same, then there is an "error" in the digital reading compared with the analogue speedo reading. Not surprising really, considering the accuracy of an analogue speedo is based on 40's technology meter movements, ie hair spring tensions and magnet strengths. They need to be individually calibrated to give accurate readings. Seems this is not happening on the Gallardo.

Maybe just coincidence, but my wife's new Audi A3 shows exactly the same 10% over-reading speed error. Both gauges are made by VDO, for Audi/Lamborghini.

The problem has been reported by my dealer, back through the distributor to the factory, but no response so far.

·
Registered
173 Posts
bunkhound said:
Did you know that you can check the accuracy of your speedo, using the digital trip computer functions on your Gallardo? .....
you could just use a GPS, or even a G-Tech (accelerometer) would probably do it.

amazes me that you can spend the best part of half a mil on a car and it can't even tell you how fast you're going.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I noticed a few months ago that my Gallardo overestimates the speed by about 10%, by comparing it withg the GPS speedo. I was suprised by the amount of error. Even with an analague speedo it should be possible to get within say 6%. As you say, it looks like the speedos aren't calibrated even roughly. Pretty poor in an expensive car!
When I was trying to go as fast as I could on an autobahn recently the speedo would show a magnificent speed, but the GPS showed that I was actually doing about 15mph less than the speedo showed.
Are the speedos analgue or digital. Yes the dial is an analogue needle, but my guess would be that it is powered by the pulses from the other speed sensors.
And is this all just slack calibration on Lambo's part, or are they trying to impress drivers with the great speed by deliberately "forgetting" to calibrate the speedos. Either way it's a bit disappointing.
William

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, after waiting some 6 weeks, I've finally received Lamborghini's "official" response to my complaint that the Gallardo speedo was over reading by 10%.

They state that this is "acceptable" and they are not prepared to do anything to correct it. But I find this rather "unacceptable", especially seeing that the Australian Design Rules legislation for all vehicles that are to be registered for use on Australian roads, whether locally manufactured or imported, stipulate that a maximum of 6% error is allowed.

Therefore, my Gallardo is technically illegal for use on the road in Australia, as are probably most of the other Gallardo's in this country.

What I should be doing now is "raising all hell" about this, and demanding that something is done about it. Maybe I should even go back to The Department of Transport governing authority, and tell them about the problem, and Lamborghini's blatant disregard for correcting this problem, which I have now found occurs on almost every Gallardo. Since Lamborghini are flagrantly disregarding the legislation requirements for imported vehicles into Australia, I am wondering whether government forces may be brought to bare on them.

I feel that I should say something, but for me the easiest, quickest, and most stress free solution is probably going to be to simply pull the damn speedo out and recalibrate it myself. Whilst it has digital electronics fed by pulses (which I believe to be accurate, because the trip computer speed display is accurate), the actual gauge and needle display are almost certainly a standard analogue unit, and here-in lies the inaccuracy problem, but the sensitivity of any analogue meter is dead easy to adjust, especially if it is over-reading. I will do it myself on my car if necessary - but why should I have to?

My dealer is also rather pissed off with the lack of action by Lamborghini, so he has asked if I am willing to fix up other owner's speedos that have also been complained about over-reading.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts